PDA

View Full Version : hand lotion, or hair conditioner?

hair jim
December 1st, 2008, 12:26 PM
hiya!
i was in one of my "what if" modes yesterday. and after my shower i grabbed the "intensive care"hand lotion, and worked a glob thru my hair, rinsed out it worked good, left my hair a little greasy looking. today i tried it before shampooing. it worked great.
good luck
~jim

marajade
December 1st, 2008, 12:28 PM
I've done that in a pinch at work when my ends felt dry- it was great- I try to look for lotions with no cones in them that way it doesn't mess up my hair. :)

Hypnotica
December 1st, 2008, 12:39 PM
Hand lotion is great to curb static in your hair. Rub it in over your hands and run your hands over the hair.

Akiko
December 1st, 2008, 12:41 PM
I did this two days ago.... accidentally. I was out of town over Thanksgiving and took those free hotel shampoo/conditioner bottles with me. When I put conditioner in my hair, it felt really strange.:suspect:

I checked the bottle. It said HAND LOTION. :doh:

I just washed out and realized it was OK. Whew.

plainjanegirl
December 1st, 2008, 01:04 PM
I find that hand lotion helps somewhat with staticy hair. And it leaves a nice smell in my hair.
Vanilla or sweet pea...mmm.

ktani
December 1st, 2008, 01:17 PM
If you read the ingredient lists they can be virtually the same as conditioners, in some cases.

It is the same with some liquid soaps and shampoo.

That is why there are so many shower gels and body washes that can be used as shampoo.

plainjanegirl
December 1st, 2008, 01:29 PM
I guess that's how they can promote some products as 3 in 1.
Shampoo, bubble bath, and shower gel.

BlackfootHair
December 1st, 2008, 01:31 PM
Whatever you do, don't use the Olay Winter Retreat shower gel. It leaves the hair feeling very gross..in my experience.

ktani
December 1st, 2008, 01:35 PM
Some hand lotions can be too heavy or greasy. A good way to tell IMO, is to try your conditioner on your hands and then the hand lotion, to compare the two.

If they are similar, both should work on your hair equally well. Ingredient lists can be deceptive, in terms of results.

Anje
December 1st, 2008, 04:46 PM
I've wondered if I could use my cetaphil lotion on my ends, but it's all 'cones. It'd be nice if it moisturized my hair like it does my face, though.

ktani
December 1st, 2008, 04:53 PM
I've wondered if I could use my cetaphil lotion on my ends, but it's all 'cones. It'd be nice if it moisturized my hair like it does my face, though.

It might. You never know. You may be able to use a small amount as a leave-in.