PDA

View Full Version : henna gloss recipe??

squiggyflop
March 24th, 2008, 08:19 AM
i dont remember how to make a henna gloss....
also would one of you tell me how a henna gloss's results differ from a regular henna treatment... im getting some light roots coming in so im either going to do a henna gloss or a henna treatment today or tomarrow (i think)
i searched already and i cant find the henna gloss thread... if any of you have photos of henna gloss results VS. henna treatment results that would really be helpful..

icydove
March 24th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I use 1/4 cup henna paste to 3/4 cup of conditioner, which you could adjust to any 1 to 3 ratio. I apply it for 7-8 minutes to stain my whites a golden color and it gives a reddish sheen to my brown hair. I've never done a full application of straight henna, so I can't give you a comparison.

squiggyflop
March 24th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I use 1/4 cup henna paste to 3/4 cup of conditioner, which you could adjust to any 1 to 3 ratio. I apply it for 7-8 minutes to stain my whites a golden color and it gives a reddish sheen to my brown hair. I've never done a full application of straight henna, so I can't give you a comparison.
does the color fade??

Shell
March 24th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Here are some gloss recipes: http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/annsophie/

I just did one, but I made it very weak and mild because I have blonde hair and I was looking more for conditioning than color. My recipe was 2 teaspoons of Jamila henna, 1/2 cup of hot chamomile tea, and 1/2 cup of conditioner (added after cooling and dye release--very quickly for Jamila henna).

I only left it on for 30 minutes, and got a shiny strawberry blonde.

Nightshade
March 24th, 2008, 09:40 AM
There's a gloss recipe in the henna article in my siggy :)

I think henna glosses are MORE likely to fade, but with henna I would NEVER bank on it.

icydove
March 24th, 2008, 10:39 AM
The color does not seem to fade very much on my brown hair. On the white/silver hairs, it seems to fade after about 6 months or so.

Shell
March 24th, 2008, 06:11 PM
There's a gloss recipe in the henna article in my siggy :)

I think henna glosses are MORE likely to fade, but with henna I would NEVER bank on it.

I'm sorry--I should have listed your's too! That's where I got my info, I just skipped the lemon 'cause I didn't want dryness. Your herbal coloring page is wonderful!

squiggyflop
March 25th, 2008, 09:55 AM
ok so i decided to henna only my roots this time.... i didnt exactly use a gloss but i did mix in some vo5 conditioner but it was alot more henna than conditioner... i think ill use this method from now on... it was easier than doing my whole head and the conditioner in the mix made it flow out of the squeeze bottle better... (of course i still had to cut off some of the tip to make the hole bigger) i didnt really wait until the henna was brown on the outside (dye release) and i only left it on for an hour but i guess i got good henna because it dyed the roots pretty well... i didnt have the awful dryness i usually get with henna... my roots are flaming though and i cant wait until they turn the same red as the rest of my hair... i got a compliment on the color today while at the orthadontist..

Nightshade
March 25th, 2008, 09:58 AM
I'm sorry--I should have listed your's too! That's where I got my info, I just skipped the lemon 'cause I didn't want dryness. Your herbal coloring page is wonderful!

Damn, is the lemon still listed in there?

/goes to take it out

Shell
March 25th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Damn, is the lemon still listed in there?

/goes to take it out

Yes, I think so. I'm chicken about lemon because I have dry hair.

I just read through the henna article--wonderful!

Nightshade
March 25th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Yes, I think so. I'm chicken about lemon because I have dry hair.

I just read through the henna article--wonderful!

Thanks :D I knew I'd taken it out at one point, but these articles were salvaged from cached versions of the old board, and probably weren't the most up-to-date ones. I still need to get the herbal hair coloring swatches back up too. :o

wintersun99
March 25th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I have taken to glosses as well, mostly because it is less of a hassle and can be done much quicker. I have noticed that glosses tend to fade a bit, mostly at the roots. If I look closely, my layers of henna slowly fade into lighter and lighter color and end at the very closest to the scalp an almost yellow color. Pretty on the grays, but not so pretty on my natural brown as it makes it yellow-mud looking. I am sure it is because there is not a great henna base at the roots. That said, henna glosses are great for condition and do impart color. I have used about 1/4 cup henna to enough conditioner to make enough (hard to guess on the amt.)

Aisha25
March 25th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I was wondering how would you store the henna gloss if any is left over??

Shell
March 25th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I was wondering how would you store the henna gloss if any is left over??

Could your freeze it? Will conditioner or yogurt freeze well? I know henna does.

Aisha25
March 25th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Well it has conditioner in it so would it be ok?

Nightshade
March 25th, 2008, 04:54 PM
The one time I tried it the conditioner separated and got...strange when I thawed it :shrug:

Celebrian
March 25th, 2008, 06:08 PM
My experience with henna and indigo (both together and seperately in gloss form) has shown me that although glosses fade quicker than full strength applications, they will usually become permanent after about the 3rd glossing.

I assume this is due to repeated (if weaker) exposures i.e. three consecutive hendigo glosses may equal one full strength hendigo... or something along those lines. But I could be wrong...

My husband has only ever been 'hendigo glossed' (a couple of times with cassia in the mix = quite a strong yellow tone!) over his salt and pepper light brown hair - and he has retained a high percentage of the henna color, but less of the indigo. So, he has a bronze effect, which is rather sweet (especially as we are growing his hair long ATM!). His mix is typically one teaspoon henna and one teaspoon indigo - into about half a mug of 'cone free conditioner, and left, wrapped, for 30 minutes.

I'm always happy to just pop a quick extra indigo gloss on his/my hair as the month progresses - just to keep too much red at bay. :luke:

MerryKat
October 27th, 2008, 04:26 AM
I did a 4 hour henna gloss yesterday with 1/3 henna (frozen left overs) to 2/3 cone free conditioner.

It has given me a lovely coppery colour to my medium brown hair and even toned down the chemical "red" that did not take properly a week ago.

I plan on doing these glosses monthly as it is easier to apply with conditioner and to wash out and I really like the colour I achieved.

Snorman
January 21st, 2014, 08:05 AM
I'm going to buy some Henna today, and try this gloss thing out.
I have a question though; I'm using castor oil right now (For growth and other stuff), and it is said to darken hair..
Will it ruin my hair color? I Have ginger hair to begin with, and just want to do a Henna Gloss to boost my color, so would the castor oil do something to the color...?

Nightshade
January 21st, 2014, 08:25 AM
Castor oil won't affect the henna color. Oils generally don't change the hair color, any darkening is because the hair is better moisturized (or in some cases over-oiled). You're safe doing a henna gloss :)

browneyedsusan
January 21st, 2014, 08:28 PM
The one time I tried it the conditioner separated and got...strange when I thawed it :shrug:

My glosses do that too, but I got around it with xanthan gum.

I thaw the dye-released henna, mix it with conditioner and it wants to separate out and clot up. Sprinkle in 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum and wisk it well. It should smooth back out and thicken up a little. I go through less henna, get a lighter color, and can control the drips with xanthan gum. (A little xanthan gum goes a long way. The first time I tried it, I put in a tablespoon, and it thickened to jello in my hair! That was exciting/drain clogging to rinse out!) Because of the way xanthan gum binds with the conditioner, you'll have to use some shampoo to get it out. I alternate shampoo and conditioner in the shower and it works just fine.

Snorman
January 22nd, 2014, 06:31 AM
Nightshade, thanks for the answer! I will go on and try this thing as soon as I get my Henna delivered! :D

Snorman
January 22nd, 2014, 06:33 AM
I'm guessing there's really no limit on how often you can do this?

And how about leftovers? Can you use it again?

browneyedsusan
January 22nd, 2014, 06:48 AM
I'm guessing there's really no limit on how often you can do this?

And how about leftovers? Can you use it again?

I usually don't have enough leftovers to mess with.

I dye-release the henna and freeze it up in "doses". Some people use ice cube trays. I don't have one, so I put a spoonful in a bunch of sandwich bags. When you're ready to gloss, thaw the henna, mix with bargain basement condish, and go! I use about 1/4 C henna and 3/4 C conditioner to touch up my roots. (I also add xanthan gum, but many here don't.)