PDA

View Full Version : In the News: Copernicus' hair

Dianyla
November 20th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Hair in book helps identify Copernicus' remains (http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/11/20/copernicus.remains.dna.ap/index.html) :rockerdud

Beatnik Guy
November 20th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Copernicus is an awesome dude. I've got a t-shirt with his face on somewhere that I picked up in Poland - his hair's quite long in that pic and he kinda looks like a rock star.

EdG
November 20th, 2008, 03:54 PM
That's cool. :cool:

It is amazing that they can get a usable DNA sample from 500-year old hair. Or maybe frightening. shudder:
Ed

burns_erin
November 20th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Just think of all the "evidence" some of use are leaving behind. Just one more reason to wear hair up and protected.

jessie58
November 20th, 2008, 04:40 PM
That's cool. :cool:

It is amazing that they can get a usable DNA sample from 500-year old hair. Or maybe frightening. shudder:
Ed

Yes, I am amazed that this is even possible.

Dianyla
November 20th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Just think of all the "evidence" some of use are leaving behind. Just one more reason to wear hair up and protected.
You've seen Gattaca (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gattaca)? If not, I highly recommend it! :thumbsup:

MountainGypsy
November 20th, 2008, 04:51 PM
:rockerdud: Wow amazing! I have seen Gattaca too, great movie!

AutumnLeaves
November 20th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I love information like this! I am wondering how Copernicus ended up being entombed in Poland? For some reason I thought Copernicus was from (here comes my ignorance showing) Greece. It is just amazing how science has managed to learn so much about DNA and is able to use for identification purposes (especially in criminal cases, which I think is awesome!)...

GlassEyes
November 20th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Gattaca was awesome. We watched it in my high school biology class.

And that's just freaking awesome. xD; And scary.

truepeacenik
November 20th, 2008, 07:43 PM
having a Michael Crichton moment... Copernicus Island.....

marajade
November 20th, 2008, 07:44 PM

That makes me a little sad :( I miss Michael Crichton!

nastasska
November 20th, 2008, 08:28 PM
That's Brilliant:cheese: It's amazing they got viable DNA from hair that age it must have had a full root attached

Loviatar
November 21st, 2008, 02:38 AM
Dianyla that's fantastic. :rockerdud

Shanarana
November 21st, 2008, 03:32 AM
Was thinking of a movie to watch this morning since I can't sleep. Think I'll watch Gattaca.

Altocumulus
November 21st, 2008, 07:58 AM

Of course, it will all go horribly wrong...

why is my telescope vibrating....OMG! It's Tycho Brahe coming up behind me! RUN!!

burns_erin
November 21st, 2008, 11:21 AM
Speaking of the hair of long deads, on the news last night they are saying they might be able to clone woolly mammoths now/soon because they found viable hair balls.

mooglewoo
November 21st, 2008, 11:27 AM
Mind boggling, yet so cool.

on the news last night they are saying they might be able to clone woolly mammoths now/soon because they found viable hair balls.

I read that in a magazine about a year ago. I wonder if they are THAT MUCH CLOSER now that it's in the news and stuff.

Beatnik Guy
November 21st, 2008, 03:03 PM
I I am wondering how Copernicus ended up being entombed in Poland? For some reason I thought Copernicus was from (here comes my ignorance showing) Greece.
Nicolaus Copernicus was from Poland. He was born there, studied at Krakow University - and died in Poland too.

Here he is, as seen in Warsaw in 2006.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v344/beatnikguy/warsawCopernicus.jpg