PDA

View Full Version : Hot rollers question - want to recreate what the rain created for me :-)

pele
March 20th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Hi!

My hair is usually pretty straight. But I must have a bit of curl in it because when it gets wet from the rain it turns into these absolutely lovely waves that I have decided to recreate on my own with hot rollers.

Has anyone ever used hot rollers, and are they going to be very damaging to my hair?

Does anyone have a specific brand they would recommend for me to buy?

Thanks!
~Pele~ :)

ChloeDharma
March 21st, 2008, 12:30 AM
George Michael salons set hair on huge rollers to smooth it, but i think they are smooth ones and you sit under a dryer on a low heat for ages. Maybe instead of hot ones you could find smooth ones that you could put your damp hair and a bit of aloe gel or flax seed gel on to give hold and let them dry on them for that look but without the heat damage of friction to the hair?

LanaMonsoon
March 21st, 2008, 12:32 AM
I used hot rollers daily for a few years. The result can be very pretty but, they are as damaging as any other heat styling. Have you thought about pin curls or sponge rollers? Or what about misting your hair with a spray bottle and scrunching it? From my experience with the rollers, the finished look is more smooth and "hollywood". Are the waves you're talking about like that or are they more beachy looking? As for the brand of rollers, I always used the 20.00 purple or blue ones. I can't remember the name but I like the clamps a lot more than some of the other pricier ones. You've got to be aware of where you are placing the clamp, you want to avoid crimping the base of the curl. Also, the length of your hair can effect the results. It's more difficult to use hot rollers on long hair. It's easiest (at least for me) to only do the ends (up to about my ears) rolled back instead of under. I didn't mean to write a whole novel here... :)

manderly
March 21st, 2008, 02:38 AM
Magnetic rollers are the smooth plastic ones, and it's called doing a wet-set.

You roll your hair soaking wet and let it either air dry or sit under a dryer. The result is perfectly silky, frizz free curls or wave depending on the size rollers you use.

I'm going to do a photo tutorial on wet-setting this weekend for another thread, the one about Catherine Zeta Jones.

I like wet setting because you can get exactly what you want with zero heat damage :)

ale
March 21st, 2008, 05:19 AM
I just make some kind of messy bun after washing my hair (so that I don't go around dripping) and that gives me nice waves!

Madam Librarian
March 21st, 2008, 06:22 AM
Pele, I am in love with my Caruso rollers. They heat with steam and are supposedly gentler than dry heat. I believe this claim. I haven't seen any damage from using them, and they haven't ever gotten too hot to touch (assuming you stick them in the steam for the recommended 3-5 seconds). My hair always feels very smooth after using them. I bought my set and an extra set of jumbo rollers at Sally's.

suicides_eve
March 21st, 2008, 06:26 AM
Magnetic rollers are the smooth plastic ones, and it's called doing a wet-set.

You roll your hair soaking wet and let it either air dry or sit under a dryer. The result is perfectly silky, frizz free curls or wave depending on the size rollers you use.

I'm going to do a photo tutorial on wet-setting this weekend for another thread, the one about Catherine Zeta Jones.

I like wet setting because you can get exactly what you want with zero heat damage :)

ooo i aways wonders what a wet set was.. that sounds neat gonna have to google up some more info on it:)

khyricat
March 21st, 2008, 06:56 AM
Honestly- I'd shy from hot rollers, but if rain made it wurly for you- try added moisture instead and letting it air dry untouched..

kc
March 21st, 2008, 07:12 AM
I do use hot rollers some times, but not a lot. Conair makes a nice set, or you try the Caruso steam rollers. I don't use them because my hair gets caught up in the foam on the rollers. I always think that hot rollers are safer than other heat appliances for hair, because you are actually taking the roller off of the heat and putting it in your hair - not like a curling iron where the high heat is right on the hair. Hope this makes sense.

Shermie Girl
March 21st, 2008, 08:04 AM
I am also a rabid fan of Caruso rollers. I have used them since 1989. I wouldn't curl my hair any other way. One way to get the spirally, loose waves you are describing is to section off a lock of hair, twist the hair, then wrap it around your roller of choice. Leave the rollers in until they cool or for about ten to fifteen minutes, take them down, separate the twists with your fingers and tousle your hair a little. If you want the waves to last longer, hit your hair with a little hair spray. :D

Shell
March 21st, 2008, 09:47 AM
I used hot rollers daily for years, and never had any damage, but maybe my hair's tough. Anyway, I didn't really get waves, but curls when I used them. How about braiding with just the end pin curled--that should make nice waves. Also, bun waves are nice. But my experience (and this just may be my experience as my hair curls very easily) with rollers is that you get curls not waves.

Xanthippe
March 21st, 2008, 11:16 AM
Honestly- I'd shy from hot rollers, but if rain made it wurly for you- try added moisture instead and letting it air dry untouched..

I was about to recommend this. If your hair turned wavy from rain, you probably are a wavy and don't even know it! :) Just wash it and then leave it alone - no brushing or combing or touching. Then, when it air dries you will see whether you have waves or not.

pele
March 21st, 2008, 11:21 AM
Oh, those Caruso's sound good! Next time I'm in the States I will go to Sally's.

I don't want the old Hollywood glamor waves, I like the beachy look. But if I just spray and scrunch it doesn't hold the wave and my hair looks gross and crunchy, and I like to blow dry my hair a bit to give it volume. Because my hair is so fine, it doesn't hold curl that well and that nice tousled wavy look just goes away after a one or two hours.

Also, I'm looking for a very quick way to do it in the morning. I wash my hair every morning and then let it dry for about 1/2 hour before I blow dry it and go. It would be nice to just roll up something in my hair for that amount of time and have it work for the rest of the day.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I think I will try those Caruso rollers rather than the hot rollers.

I saw a picture of (ugh) Pamela Anderson one time and thought that it what I want! I tried to find the same pic on the net but couldn't. So I found this one, it's pretty similar to the wave I'm looking for.
http://www.guzelresimler.net/data/media/16/Pamela%20Anderson%20duvar%20kagitlari.jpg

Either that or I could just hope for rain every day and stand outside in it until I get my desired look. lol.