PDA

View Full Version : Dry and shedding?

Baby_doll
October 5th, 2014, 04:19 PM
My hair has been very dry and shedding A LOT more lately. It's not broken hair but shed hair. I think it may have been the mane and tail shampoo and conditioner I was using along with the oiling. So I rescinded to take a step bak from those things. I have two questions though that I was hoping some one could maybe help me with. The first is my hair produces almost no sebum, I can go a week and a half before it just barely starts to get greasy, so is there any way I can speed it up? And is there anything that's a really great moisturizer that's super cheap and not oil based??

gustavonut
October 5th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Baby oil/mineral oil could work. :) (Ask Madora)

And maybe not wash as much. Also, mane and tail made my hair like straw so that's my experience with that.
You could also try argan oil, I got mine from kmart(in a little spray bottle) and it's not that expensive and works for me :o

But my favorite above all so far, is coconut oil.

Madora
October 5th, 2014, 05:07 PM
Daily brushing with a boar bristle brush will help spread the sebum. The sebum itself isn't "greasy" per se (unless you really stretch your washes, and then you'll notice lank hair (composed of sebum and everything else you've put on your hair).

Now if you don't brush regularly, it is more gentle on your hair (and scalp!) if you start out slowly! Always be sure to detangle your hair before you start brushing! Once you have detangled your hair, bend over and bring all your hair in front of you, like a curtain. Run a comb through your hair once more and take out any tangles. Then, starting at the nape of your neck, brush down to the ends, slowly.

Be sure to follow each swipe of your brush with the palm of your other hand. The brushing creates static; the palm of your other hand calms the static.

Start out with 15 strokes. If your scalp is ok with that (after you've waited 3 hours or so), then the next day, repeat, but increase it to 20 strokes a day. Continue this way until you reach your brushing stroke goal.

It is best to start brushing slowly, with a few strokes, rather than do your goal right off the bat. That is because your hair follicles are used to being drawn in a certain direction. Said follicles will HURT (a lot!) after you've brushed in the bent at the waist position, because they are not used to being drawn in that direction. So, avoid the hurt! Brush slowly and not too many strokes when starting out.

After you have reached your hair brushing stroke goal, brush every day, consistently. Number of strokes is not important. Consistency and regularity is. Keep your brush squeaky clean and remove any fallen hairs from it with a mini brush rake. Brush in the morning, when your scalp is at its optimum best.

Also, to stimulate your sluggish follicles, you might want to consider gentle scalp massage (with your finger pads) in the bent at the waist position. Be sure to always detangle your hair before and AFTER each massage session. Good luck!

Baby_doll
October 5th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Oils haven't worked for me. They seem to clog my follicles and cause SO MUCH shedding. So I'm trying to find a moisturizer that down have any type of oil an I can put on my scalp since its so dry.

Madora
October 5th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Oils haven't worked for me. They seem to clog my follicles and cause SO MUCH shedding. So I'm trying to find a moisturizer that down have any type of oil an I can put on my scalp since its so dry.

It isn't wise to put stuff directly on your scalp because it might upset your scalp's natural acid balance.

With the mineral oil, you only use two small drops, on your hands, not applied directly to your scalp. MO has great moisturizing properties, as several members can attest.