PDA

View Full Version : Does your henna fool people?

Smokering
March 19th, 2008, 11:52 PM
I'm curious--if you henna, do people assume it's natural or dyed?

I was in hospital (having a baby!) this week, and it was hilarious how many people mentioned my hair. At least three nurses said variations of 'Ooh, I wonder if the baby will have red hair like you', and a midwife told me I might have trouble breastfeeding because 'redheads have sensitive skin'. I mentioned it as a joke to my main midwife, and she looked faintly shocked and said 'Isn't that your real hair colour?'

The funny thing was, I haven't hennaed my roots for about a month and they seem blindingly obvious to me! I guess it helps that I have pale skin. In fact, I ended up having a slightly surreal conversation with a doctor who'd just had to do something rather painful to me, about whether or not henna would suit her skin type. That was weird... chatting about haircare to a medical professional who's covered up to the elbow in one's life-gore, while slightly high on nitrous oxide, is probably one of the odder experiences I've had this week. But I digress.

Do you fool people? If so, do you admit it? I always feel bad and apologise that it isn't 'real'. :p

Alizarin Fionn
March 20th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Congratulations on the baby first of all. As far as the henna goes it depends on who it is. Sometimes I just give them a cheeky grin and say nothing and sometimes I 'fess up. Thing is I feel like I was born to have red hair and love, love, love it. I think the blond was a mistake at birth!

Edited to add: I understand what you say about the wierdness of explaining the pros and cons of henna to a professional who is about to do something to you. I once had that discussion with an anaesthetist who was about to put me to sleep for an op. Very wierd. I thought I dreamt it until she came around later in the evening to talk some more after all her surgeries.

MadPirateBippy
March 20th, 2008, 12:44 AM
I have to say, it sounds weirdly fun to talk about something as everyday as hair while you have, as you put it, your very own life gore everywhere.

Congratulations on the baby! :) I don't henna but my brother's girlfriend used to, she was naturally a mid-brown and Mike's a dark brown, and it looked pretty natural. One time he and she were sitting on the couch together and my Dad walked behind them and started petting her hair while talking to the rest of us. She was getting a little creeped out, and her facial expression was HILARIOUS, until my Dad looked down and jumped.

He thought he was petting MIKE'S head.

She hennaed her roots the next day.

k_hepburn
March 20th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Sorry to go entirely off-topic, but I just had to pop in to say:
Congratulations on the new baby, Smokering!!!!!! I hope both you and the baby are well any enjoying this very special time together!

katharine

P.S. Brilliant story MadPirateBippy :D !

Isilme
March 20th, 2008, 02:54 AM
congrats!:) Yes, my henna fools people. But many seems to be unsure, do you dye or is it natural? I think it looks natural but the intensity might give people the feel of "hey, that looks natural, but it still is something that isn't right about that colour" but then many people have assumed it to be natural. But fellow hennaheads usually says, oh you henna, pretty!;)

GlassEyes
March 20th, 2008, 03:07 AM
I have to say, it sounds weirdly fun to talk about something as everyday as hair while you have, as you put it, your very own life gore everywhere.

Congratulations on the baby! :) I don't henna but my brother's girlfriend used to, she was naturally a mid-brown and Mike's a dark brown, and it looked pretty natural. One time he and she were sitting on the couch together and my Dad walked behind them and started petting her hair while talking to the rest of us. She was getting a little creeped out, and her facial expression was HILARIOUS, until my Dad looked down and jumped.

He thought he was petting MIKE'S head.

She hennaed her roots the next day.
XD Bwahahahahaha.

My henna doesn't look natural. Sometimes I wonder if that could be because of the three working on four inch root sare midnight black....

Then I think 'nah, no way'. xD When I first dyed it though, my mom thought it looked natural.

ilovelonghair
March 20th, 2008, 06:40 AM
My henna colored hair is only light, more of a sandy red color, so it's not that obvious it's henna. But people are so used to my ever changing hair color, I don't think they think it's real.

khyricat
March 20th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I always get this.. my henna makes my whites into red highlights.. and leaves the rest with a reddish tint (very dark).. so I get a lot of comments on my hair color.. and when people see me who know it's not natural and have seen my whites, they always comment on how well done my highlighting job is!

And congrats on that new baby!

Nightshade
March 20th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Congrats on the baby :D

People constantly think my henna is my natural color. I always tell them it isn't and then try to gauge how much I can blather about henna ;)

Kirin
March 20th, 2008, 08:38 AM
since i was in my teens i chemically colored my hair, staying around blonde though i would venture off to black, brown, red, you name it. About seven months ago, i said screw it all and started using henna. When i started, i had a hair chop off from a chemical disaster, so i went reeeeally really short.

I walked around with extra short blonde hair, then henna'd my hair. Within days I got...."oh its so nice your letting your natural color grow out".

other than my family (one sister thinks the red is WAY too intense which tells me its perfect lol), everyone thinks its completely natural. I seem to be the only one noticing my completely WHITE roots.

Gutterfayrie
March 20th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Congrats on the baby!!!

I henna, but I haven't had anyone assume its natural yet, probably because friends/family/co-workers were use to my hair changing color every few months before I found henna.

birdiefu
March 20th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Congrats on the baby!! I haven't had many people comment on my henna'd hair, probably because my natural color is pretty dark so you don't notice the red much unless I'm in the sun or something (and then it reflects quite red). But I do think depending on what your natural hair color was, henna can look very, very natural.

Gothic Lolita
March 20th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I always wanted red hair. I sometimes colored it with semi permant dye. When I joined LHC I learned about Henna Gloss, which is giving me exactly the shade of red I always wanted. Not too far away from my natural color (my hair is slightly red). Now many people, even close friends of me, mention that my hair has a nice shade of red. Even if I haven't hannaed they wouldn't dream that my color is a fake. I think this really is an advantege, because that means that the color suits me and doesn't look unnatural.

pookatrina
March 20th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Congratulations on the new baby, Smokering!

Delenn
March 20th, 2008, 10:12 AM
All the time. Either they assume it's natural or they're extremely unsure. I think it's funny. :)

There was an old couple a few people behind me in line at the DMV and I had my hair down that day. I heard the old man whisper to his wife "wow, look at that pretty red hair! You think it's real?" and she said "I think so" and then I heard "You can't get that from a bottle" I was SO tempted to turn and whisper "No, but you can get it from a plant!" But I didn't, I decided to enjoy the hair compliment. :D

Ohio Sky
March 20th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I actually have had people ask if my 2-3" of henna red roots is my "natural color" coming back after all the chemical black.

But, more than that, I just wanted to LOL at your story. Definitely a weird experience. :D

spidermom
March 20th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Amazingly, it did. I thought the color looked so awful, garish, and unnatural on me, but I met someone while I had it and came across her number a year or so later and called. She said "you're the red-head, right?"

Starr
March 20th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I've always had a few red streaks in my dark brown hair as a child (my father is a redhead) so most people automatically assume that as I've gotten older, it's gotten redder. And now that my dyed black hair (too dark, even for me) has started to grow out the henna really takes to my roots and people are sure it's real. Most of the time I don't even bother explaining.

wintersun99
March 20th, 2008, 11:03 AM
congratulations on your baby!

as for henna, yes it did fool people, back when I was only using henna and no indigo. my hair is medium brown and henna simply turned it auburn. once I started to indigo, it began to look obviously colored (indigo went way to dark on me, maybe 3-4 shades). as the indigo is growing out, I am back to the auburn color underneith the canopy and at the roots and it looks so much more natural - it looks as if I intended to add dark highlights now.

redcelticcurls
March 20th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I guess I go against the grain. I can usually spot henna because it looks "like henna." It is a different shade and look to me than a natural of chemical red.

For me, there is something almost neon like about henna.

zift
March 20th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I don't use henna only,I henndigo and have a darker almost black hair color,I already had dark brown hair so even my brother didn't find out the color of my hair has changed. If I had used henna only though, I probably could not fool anyone with my thick black eyebrows:lol: everyone would see it's not natural.
And congratulations Smokering for the baby! :flowers:

dancingbarefoot
March 20th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I guess I go against the grain. I can usually spot henna because it looks "like henna." It is a different shade and look to me than a natural of chemical red.

For me, there is something almost neon like about henna.

:agree: One of the reasons I personally don't like henna is how unnatural it looks to me. If you can successfully get a color that actually occurs naturally in human hair, then you might 'fool' someone, but most hennaed hair is a color that never occurs naturally in hair. :twocents: Also, if you're using henna to get red hair, you usually won't have a natural redhead complexion, so the mismatch makes it easier to spot.

prosperina
March 20th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I had a blog entry about this just yesterday! One of my students was shocked to hear that my hair wasn't red!

Mine mostly looks natural, but slightly more intense. And I have a red head's complexion, so it works out. Many blonds (as well as other people, I'm not saying only blonds) can do henna because red heads and blonds often have very very similar coloring. I think it's important to really work with the color though--it involves a lot more time than some are willing to put in. I also, think henna has the potential to look more natural than many chemical reds.

MyFireElf
March 20th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I have the opposite problem - I can't convice anyone my red is natural. Even when I was growing out after I'd colored it jet black, people would ask me how I'd managed to dye just the roots red.

Personally, I can't tell when someone's hair is colored. All you hennaheads are gorgeous! :D

Emichiee
March 20th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I dont turn all red but a few asked me if I dye my hair...obvious isnt it? Where does blackish brown hair with red really exist in nature?

Some people are surprised I have dark roots growing in. ;)

Wavelength
March 20th, 2008, 02:29 PM
You guys are lucky. No one around here says anything at all about my hair (except sometimes, "Wow, I didn't know it was so long!") so I have no idea if they think my henna is natural or not.

It helps that I was a strawberry blonde as a kid though, and I have tiny coppery freckles over my cheeks. So henna works well with my complexion.

heidihug
March 20th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I'd love to henna my hair, but I am a brunette, and I don't think it would work with my hair or my complexion. I am getting pretty gray, too, so I color my hair a dark auburn brunette to give it some highlights. That's as close to red as I get! When I had short (shoulder-length) hair, I used to have my stylist color it red, but it always looked purple to me, so I stopped doing that. There's just nothing like that beautiful henna red.

Beesweet
March 20th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I have had a natural redhead think that my hair is natural.

I don't want to lie to people who think I am natural when they ask, but I don't always want to tell them I henna, either......

The weird little smile works....

Islandgrrl
March 20th, 2008, 04:05 PM
:agree: One of the reasons I personally don't like henna is how unnatural it looks to me. If you can successfully get a color that actually occurs naturally in human hair, then you might 'fool' someone, but most hennaed hair is a color that never occurs naturally in hair. :twocents: Also, if you're using henna to get red hair, you usually won't have a natural redhead complexion, so the mismatch makes it easier to spot.

I'm the anomaly. I *am* a natural redhead, but I don't have the usual redhead complexion like my sisters do (they are also natural redheads). My older sister has natural strawberry blonde hair, blue eyes and fair skin w/freckles. My younger sister is a true carrot-top, lighter blue eyes, white skin + freckles. I have green eyes, fair skin but not the white my younger sister has, and NO freckles. My hair is a natural medium auburn.

I henna to cover grey and brighten up the color a bit. I love it. Not many people I know (except those who know me really well) even realize that I do anything to the color at all. Henna doesn't give me a startling change. It just makes what's there a little brighter.

aprilmay
March 20th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Congrats on the baby. Wise to use natural color while pregnant rather than the chemical stuff. I have yet to color my hair. I am kind of tentative about it. Maybe I will try henna before I reach 40.

Islandgrrl
March 20th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Oh, duh, Congrats on the baby!!!

terriej
March 20th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Congratulations on your baby!

Yes, people think my henna hair is natural. My natural hair is strawberry blond, I'm pale and have freckles. The henna over my blond gives off a strong orange outside. I blend right in with freckly red-heads.

Smokering
March 20th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Thanks for all the congratulationses. :)

Oddly enough, little Rowan was born with dark hair--really dark, almost black. My husband's hair was blonde at birth, and is now a kind of nondescript mousy colour. Mine was slightly strawberry blonde, and is now also kinda mousy--except that I henna, obviously. So the baby's dark hair was a bit of a shock! She must take after her grandmother.

I suspect the fact that my hair was strawberry blonde as a baby helps my henna look 'natural'. I have the Celtic-pale skin, blue eyes, freckles thing going on, so I can see how I could be a redhead. But I'm always in two minds about whether or not my henna looks natural. In certain lights the length looks almost like it always has--just a slight tinge of colour, not obviously red. Other times I feel like it's screaming 'fire engine'! But I guess anyone who thinks it looks fake is kind enough not to mention it, so that's okay. :)

Course, now the baby's here I'm really starting to wonder when I'll next have time to henna my roots! They'll probably be inches long before I get around to it, and I don't think any amount of complexion will be able to pull that off...

Elfling
March 20th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I usually get asked if that's my natural hair color, "because it's so lovely!"

Wavelength
March 20th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Belated congratulations on your baby!

http://bestsmileys.com/angles/18.gif

squiggyflop
March 20th, 2008, 07:44 PM
im freckly and pale.. i have auburn hair naturally so my roots dont show up as bad as they would if i had brown hair naturally. and yes almost everyone who i meet thinks its my natural color...

iris
March 20th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Indoors, people did use to think it was my natural color sometimes. Outdoors, no way. Absolutely no way. What naturally red hair is dark auburn inside and neon orange in the sun? No way. I agree with dancingbarefoot, henna is extremely recognizable, and not a shade that occurs in nature. Pretty, but not natural looking.

Iris

cuddledumplin
March 20th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Congrats on the new baby. I've not hennaed in a long time (other than the henna in my colour enhancing conditioner), but my hair is quite dark, so the results are pretty subtle.

redcelticcurls
March 20th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Indoors, people did use to think it was my natural color sometimes. Outdoors, no way. Absolutely no way. What naturally red hair is dark auburn inside and neon orange in the sun? No way. I agree with dancingbarefoot, henna is extremely recognizable, and not a shade that occurs in nature. Pretty, but not natural looking.

Iris

Yeah, I'd have to go with that. It can often look pretty, but not natural looking to me.

The again, I come from a family with many natural redheads and may just be more used to seeing natural reds.

Javadandy
March 20th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Smokering- congrats on the baby!! Ah, there's nothing like a baby! :flowers:

I have a set of 4 --:)-- they have various colors and textures of hair. Oldest (he's 19) tight dark blond curls, he grows it and donates it. #2 (she's 17) fine natural blond - no eyebrows they are so blond. #3 (he's 11) fine dark ash blond/brown and #4 (he's 8 ) thick wiry dark brown. Dad was blond as a kid and now it is so dark - it looks black. I hendingo my fine dark brown/gray hair and people can't tell. I straight henna and people comment on the color of my highlights (that is my gray) The guys at work like it better than the gray. I like the way the henna looks so layered, not all one color. I throw a little amla in to tone it down sometimes, but it is a nice color no matter what I do!

prosperina
March 20th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Although keep in mind that natural reds vary *alot* and not all henna is neon in sun.

Completely OT, but celticcurls, I never would have guessed you color your hair. I know you don't henna, but I would have assumed that that's your natural color. Well done. And, when you want to come over to the henna dark side, your color is totally achievable with henna, as it is nearly the color I have. ;)

redcelticcurls
March 20th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Although keep in mind that natural reds vary *alot* and not all henna is neon in sun.

Completely OT, but celticcurls, I never would have guessed you color your hair. I know you don't henna, but I would have assumed that that's your natural color. Well done. And, when you want to come over to the henna dark side, your color is totally achievable with henna, as it is nearly the color I have. ;)

Thank you! I'm a dishwater blonde, so red isn't a big stretch...

There probably are hennaheads out there that I have thought were natural. I wouldn't know unless I aksed though. :lol: I do see a lot of hennaheads among the customers at work. Pretty and vibrant, but there is that hard-to-define henna brightness there. Squiggyflops Feb '08 siggy pic is a good example. Beautiful color, great shine, and to me, looks like henna. That's not a good or a bad thing, just something I notice. I only once commented IRL about someone's henna. I told her that her henna was pretty, and she looked a bit put out that I didn't think it was real.:shrug: I won't do that again unless it is here - it'll be taken in a more positive light here.

I did try henna twice, and I know that once was BAQ. It just felt weird texturally for some reason - like a protein treatment I couldn't get rid of, so I'm still chicken s**t about it. If my goal length was less modest, I'd think harder about reconsidering.

prosperina
March 20th, 2008, 08:50 PM
oops, I got your name wrong. Sorry. I was mostly teasing; I don't think you should henna since you've got the color down pat.

Isn't that funny that someone would be miffed that you complimented her henna. :D I guess she wasn't used to people being in the know... we see so many pictures here, our eyes are trained to pick out chemical color, henna and just about everything else.

redcelticcurls
March 20th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Oh, don't worry, prosperina, it was no biggie. If you just want to use rcc since it's shorter, that's fine too. I should've thought of the downside of a long name before I originally picked it!

Yes, I do think that one learns to be much more hair observant here. I've read about all sorts of things that i would have not known about otherwise.

hazelceleste
March 20th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I get my hair cut professionally about once a year, always by the same woman. Last time I went in, I had been hennaing (instead of dying my hair red) for about 7 months, and my stylist commented on how nice my natural hair color was. She didn't even notice the half-inch of unhennaed, medium brown roots I had showing.

My hair does have some natural reddish-gold highlights, though, so maybe that's why henna looks so natural on me. :shrug:

Blueglass
March 20th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I think you have to know the red amber of henna to recognize it.

Nightshade
March 21st, 2008, 07:24 AM
I think you have to know the red amber of henna to recognize it.

I'll second that. Also, I want to amend my earlier post. I don't think the cooler henna-only burgundy looks natural on me, but I do think my lighter, coppery henna/cassia mix does, and since that's closest to my face that's what people base their guess on :)

rhondalicious
March 21st, 2008, 08:36 AM
Whenever I henna, it just makes my dark dark auburn hair slightly reddish - I actually haven't hennaed since October/November, and I have a pretty natural looking transition between the red/brown and the brown/red.

I actually stopped henna-ing because it didn't even really look very different (unless you were outside, then the freshly hennaed glimmered in a very lovely way!)

rchorr
March 21st, 2008, 09:03 AM
I already have reddish hair, so the henna just hides the gray. But, I have a younger co-worker who couldn't believe how old I was ... her comment "But you don't have any gray hair!" LOL! That's because it's covered by the henna!

RCHORR'

animetor7
March 10th, 2013, 05:03 PM
What naturally red hair is dark auburn inside and neon orange in the sun? No way.

Iris

Actually this is what my hair is naturally.....sorry to disagree, but this is exactly what happens with my hair, particularly in the summer.

Kaelee
March 10th, 2013, 05:17 PM
People assume my haircolor is natural all the time. I do not understand this, it's a deep wine/cherry cola color that blazes bright red in the sun and looks more orange on top (because there's less henna build up there than at my ends.) I never think of it as anything remotely natural looking but people are always surprised when they find out I dye it. :shrug:

Magalo
March 10th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Everybody think my hair color is natural! I have a very pale skin and dark green eyes, I guess I just fit in the redhead mold. It's flattering, because it means the color suits me well I guess? I've been working at the same place for two years and I got many "oh, it's not natural??" when my roots were showing a lot last month, and all year long when I'm like "LOOK I DID MY COLOR!!" there's always someone out there to be like "what? you dye your hair?". I like it. :p

Cecalv
March 11th, 2013, 04:10 AM
Strangers allways look suprised when i tell them my natural color is blonde xD and i get it, my skin is pale and a bit freckly.
I love the reactions i get on my hair, i actually got pulled behind the counter at H&M by a lady who works there because she HAD to know how to get that haircolor.

SleepyTangles
March 11th, 2013, 08:25 AM
I guess it can look very natural: after all, there are no signs of damage with henna, nor that characteristical fading of red dyes.
But my ends are burgundy, while the top of my head a bronzey brown with copper highlights: no way it can be mistaken for my natural haircolour.

vamq
March 11th, 2013, 08:48 AM
When I wasn't growing out my henna yet, people assumed it was natural quite often and some of them were really surprised that it wasn't my natural color.
I don't know why, however. I was rather reluctant with keeping up the roots, and I have dark brown eyebrows.
Also, my skin tone is quite different from pretty much all natural redheads I've ever seen. I am pale, but more yellow undertone-pale instead of pink undertone-pale. I hope this makes sense to anyone, lol.

I think that people assume henna to be natural because natural highlights and lowlights don't disappear when you use henna.
When I still used chemical coloring back when I was 13 or so, it was very obvious that the brown hair I had back then was not my natural color, because all hair was the exact same color of brown with no high- or lowlights nor the natural ombre effect a lot of people get during the summer.

rach
March 16th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Even when i have roots it's not very noticeable because my hair is dark and my henna is cherry dark also. I have had the comment of "is it natural?" and i've looked at them back with a confused expression. Often when the sun come out and my hair is down it's funny when you get the RED realisation which i forget until someone says so.
Often i just think it's just a conversation method on starting up chit chat.

KittyBird
March 16th, 2013, 04:56 PM
I've been asked if the red colour was natural when I've had 3-4 cm of my blonette roots showing. :D
I think most people just assume that I'm a redhead growing out black dye, because it seems strange to grow out black dye and replace it with red. Sometimes I just go along with it and tell people that it's natural, because they usually look at me like I'm completely insane when I explain that I'm dark blonde and I use smelly plant mud to make my hair red. I don't think I have the natural redhead look though, as I have dark eyebrows and eye lashes and a rather yellowish skin tone.

Achlys
March 17th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Someone asked if it was natural a couple of days ago. Surprisingly, she thought henna to be fairly common. But I haven't met many new people, so she is the only one to ask so far.

CaityBear
March 21st, 2013, 09:52 PM
When I still henna'd my hair most people said "That's not your real hair colour, is it?" which I would imagine is because the shade of red I got from years of henna is not really a shade you usually see naturally but it did suit me really well so most people thought it could be my natural colour.

Chrestomathy
March 23rd, 2013, 05:08 PM
People usually assume it's my natural color and that I dye my eyebrows black! I'm very fair and naturally have a very bland mouse color that would probably be blonde if I lived in a place with sun. If people ask I usually tell them it's natural. I've always thought it was kind of rude for complete strangers to walk up and ask if my hair color is fake. My friends all know it's henna though and are usually surprised when I tell them for the first time.

MissAlida
March 24th, 2013, 02:48 PM
My henna used to fool people, since my natural color is very dark, and the henna I used gave me a very natural looking coppery red hue, only in sunlight. But last week I got BAQ indian henna, and even my 86 year old grandmom noticed that my hair was colored. It turned out quite burgundy, and I'm not sure I like it. I'll wait for a couple more weeks, for the oxidation to complete, and then see what I'm going to do about it. I like the color, but it clashes with my olive skin. I'm sure others will know it's colored if they see it go up in flames when the sun touches it. :( I would have liked to keep people guessing.

Of the Fae
March 24th, 2013, 04:09 PM
My henna fools people all the time. Since I'm a natural light blonde people just assume that I am a natural ginger because of my henna. My skin is very white and I have freckles in the summer sometimes. It looks as though I grew it myself and thats what I love about it :)

teal
March 26th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Heh, this thread is back from the dead! Smokering, did you find the time to henna those roots after all??

I don't get too many questions or remarks about my hair on the colour and so have no idea whether people think it's natural or not. My friends and coworkers know it's hennaed because i told them about the process. That said, my complexion certainly supports having the deep red-brown that is my hennaed hair - I have freckles and pale skin - and I have plenty of spice in my personality that could pass for red headed temper, so maybe people just don't question it. Who knows!

auburntressed
March 27th, 2013, 12:03 AM
10 thingy.......

GenLove86
March 27th, 2013, 12:28 AM
Yes all the time! People are always making comments about how Irish I look!

cooklaezo13
March 29th, 2013, 08:45 PM
When I had hennaed hair, many people were shocked to learn that bright henna red is not my natural color. To me it really didn't look natural. My skin is not super pale, I have no freckles, and olive undertones.

JLeighs
March 29th, 2013, 10:01 PM
It has fooled some people, but I doubt it has fooled everyone. Henna is VERY bright in the sun, so I imagine that whether or not it fools someone has a lot to do with whether they see me outdoors or indoors. :D It helps that most of my siblings are redheads and my daughter has lovely coppery-brown hair. Henna does have an edge in the natural-looking department, though, because it deposits a translucent color over existing color which ends up looking like the color variations in natural hair. You can't get that from a box color.

It doesn't really matter to me though if it fools people. The color suits me very well and I've had just a ton of compliments on it. One woman made my day when she walked up to me and said "you have the most amazing hair color that I have ever seen!" :)

SC
March 30th, 2013, 12:00 AM
Many people thought that I really had red hair when I was doing only henna. It's actually quite funny how it looks so natural to most of people. In my mind I think that I can tell difference on whether the hair is hennaed or naturally red.

oktobergoud
April 1st, 2013, 09:17 AM
Mine does! Often older people ask me if it's my natural hair colour haha!

Nightshade
April 1st, 2013, 09:40 AM
I mentioned at work about hennaing and a girl who's known me for 6 years turned around and went, "You're not a natural redhead?!"

:lol:

Eirelin
April 3rd, 2013, 08:14 AM
Mine is naturally very close to the color I am getting with henna, so I usually have to go through the whole explanation of, "Well, you see this slightly lighter golden-red in the back and down the length? That is my natural color. The henna is this slightly darker shade from the roots down about 3-1/2 inches." when I point out the difference, they can see it, but otherwise, not really. When the albums were up, I had a set of before-and-after photos from the first time I used henna (which was also the only time I have ever done a full head application; roots only since then), and I couldn't really see much difference between them.

The only real reason I use henna is because of the white patches coming in now. They make me look like I'm going bald in between root applications.

maborosi
May 19th, 2015, 09:10 PM
Reviving this thread from the dead. Because I recently had someone at work refuse to believe that I color my hair- they think I'm lying about coloring it- wtf? I generally like to be upfront about henna'ing my hair. A lot of people think I have red hair any only dip dye the tips black.

I do henna often, so I rarely have really noticeable roots (It helps SO much with oiliness and dandruff like you wouldn't believe) but even when I let it grow, my hair is very light- I guess people don't see my regrowth or something?

hennalonghair
May 19th, 2015, 09:20 PM
When I was a natural henna head people thought it was my natural hair colour. Now that I'm older and gone cherry cola it's pretty obvious it's not but im ok with that.

Blue Mermaid
May 19th, 2015, 09:24 PM
All the time. When I was at work once I had an elderly lady come up to me and say, "you have the most beautiful haircolor. Don't ever let someone convince you to dye it!"

Certainly put a smile on my face!

texangrrl
May 21st, 2015, 08:23 AM
My henna hair color is a warm cherry cola red. I get complimented on it ALL the time by people and I'm often asked if it's natural. Depending on how much time I have or the situation, I'll say yes it's natural hair color, but it's not my natural hair color. Then they look at me all funny because they can't figure out what I'm talking about and I'll explain the process of henna and being chemical free. Other times I've simply said yes, lol. I think the thing that throws people off is that it's not a color you find on people naturally, but it certainly does not have the appearance of being dyed either. And since the color of it compliments my skin tone, many people assume that it's my natural color. I henna my brows to match too, so that helps, lol.

Auni
May 21st, 2015, 09:06 AM
My henna hair color is a warm cherry cola red. I get complimented on it ALL the time by people and I'm often asked if it's natural. Depending on how much time I have or the situation, I'll say yes it's natural hair color, but it's not my natural hair color. Then they look at me all funny because they can't figure out what I'm talking about and I'll explain the process of henna and being chemical free. Other times I've simply said yes, lol. I think the thing that throws people off is that it's not a color you find on people naturally, but it certainly does not have the appearance of being dyed either. And since the color of it compliments my skin tone, many people assume that it's my natural color. I henna my brows to match too, so that helps, lol.

LOL! "yes it's natural hair color, but it's not my natural hair color" , I can see the faces,:ponder::uhh::dizzy::suspect: Too funny!
I've always had dark brown hair that's auburn in the sun, but I have serious patches of gray on my forehead creeping back that pick up burgundy from henna, so THAT doesn't look too natural. But I do get questions all the time about "where did you get your red lights?"

Nimia
May 21st, 2015, 09:22 AM
Of the people who comment on my hair, the henna fools about half of them. The fooled ones say things like, "Your hair is gorgeous!" and stare; sometimes it'll be an older woman who says that, sometimes a single male in a grocery store or at and estate sale, from whom I get a weird vibe (all that staring, to the point where I scuttle away to find my husband or the safety of the baking aisle. It's like the henna casts a spell on them.). The in-the-know ones say something like, "Your hair is lovely. Is it natural?" or will even ask how I got the color, because it's the color they've been trying to get for years.

Even more amusingly, there's a friend who's seen me regularly for ten years, going back to when I was blonde (ash w/ highlights). I went red about five years ago, which is apparently long enough for memory to fade, as the other day he asked, "Wait, you're not a natural red head? What color IS your natural hair?"

I have a pet theory -- with no facts at all to back it up -- that people are less likely to think hair is dyed if it's long.

Nightshade
May 21st, 2015, 09:31 AM
I had another (newer) coworker find out that my hair isn't red naturally. "But your eyebrows are red, too!" I had to explain that those get hennaed as well XD

Blue Mermaid
May 21st, 2015, 11:29 PM
I think I need to get on the henna'd brows bandwagon. How does one henna eyebrows?

Nightshade
May 22nd, 2015, 07:48 AM
I think I need to get on the henna'd brows bandwagon. How does one henna eyebrows?

Super easy.

1) clean your eyebrows with a bit of soap and water to get the oil off.

2) if your eyebrows are super-dark or resistant to henna (henna fades off my brows after two weeks between oil and brow hair replacing itself), brush them lightly with peroxide a few times to lighten them. If you do that, let them dry off again before applying henna.

3) Apply henna. Even though I use a very diluted (35% henna, 65% cassia) blend on my hair, I need to use the full strength henna on my eyebrows.

4) Rub a little water on your skin around your brows and stick little pieces of saran wrap to the henna over each eyebrow. The water just helps the plastic wrap stick to your skin.S

It's a super-alluring look (https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-rw1YRntIcjc/VHyGGl-d3tI/AAAAAAAAKjE/sWo3N2u7aRo/s800/Lip-Stain-4.jpg)! :lol:

Then after two hours or so, rinse off the henna. That's it!

browneyedsusan
May 22nd, 2015, 06:43 PM
I think my hair is a fooler. I often.catch people looking at me, and sometimes get comments on the color. :)

maborosi
May 22nd, 2015, 09:34 PM
I have a pet theory -- with no facts at all to back it up -- that people are less likely to think hair is dyed if it's long.

I've noticed this!

A lot of it I think has to do with the health of the hair, too. People sometimes assume I have red hair because it's 1. long (almost hip) 2. Very shiny/smooth 3. Has blunt ends. Thanks to henna, HAH!

(Your hair is so pretty, btw! :) )

I had another (newer) coworker find out that my hair isn't red naturally. "But your eyebrows are red, too!" I had to explain that those get hennaed as well XD

And this, too. I don't henna my brows anymore, because I feel like the red is too bold for my eyebrows, but I do lighten them up and dye them with a normal dye. They're a light golden brown. (Sadly conventional dye doesn't stick around for very long. That's the big advantage henna has)

pixietail
May 22nd, 2015, 10:54 PM
My color fools most people because my base color is black to start with. In the shade it looks natural. In the sun my grays really stand out as coppery, but so far people have thought it was just highlights.

maborosi
May 23rd, 2015, 12:54 AM
My color fools most people because my base color is black to start with. In the shade it looks natural. In the sun my grays really stand out as coppery, but so far people have thought it was just highlights.

Henna on black hair with grays = GORGEOUS! There are some members on here with that combo and it is just amazing!

Zwaluw
May 23rd, 2015, 04:24 AM
I'm pretty pale and people mistake the henna for my natural colour a lot. Because I'm dark-blonde the roots don't show that well I suppose.

My family always comments that the red suits me better than my own colour and I totally agree :D

LillithTheFirst
May 23rd, 2015, 07:44 AM
I don't know, people are generally a bit fascinated by my hair. I make a 3/4 indigo 1/4 henna mix with a bit of alma berry powder. My hair is quite dark brown but in the sunlight it shines red which people think is quite unusual and beautiful, or so I've been told! They think that's my hair, I don't bother correcting them because it is "natural". :P

Nimia
May 23rd, 2015, 09:13 AM
I've noticed this!

A lot of it I think has to do with the health of the hair, too. People sometimes assume I have red hair because it's 1. long (almost hip) 2. Very shiny/smooth 3. Has blunt ends. Thanks to henna, HAH!

Yeah, I think it's a "halo" effect for a natural hairstyle. If there's no obvious evidence of hair products, scissors/salon cuts, heat styling, or general abuse and damage, and the hair looks healthy, then mentally the overall image is: natural, healthy hair, never been messed with. Color can get thrown in there along with the rest, as if any woman who stays away from hair gel would automatically reject dye, too. Little does anyone know how much secret effort and interesting concoctions slathered on the head for hours at a time can go into maintaining such "natural" hair….

(Your hair is so pretty, btw! :) )

Right back atcha! Wish mine was as glossy smooth as yours, but that will have to wait for the old dye damage to grow out.

arima
May 24th, 2015, 01:12 PM
So I really hope this isn't way off topic here (please tell me so if that's the case, maybe you know a thread I can go to that's about this? haven't found one yet)
Not a henna-head myself (yet) but this is one of my main worries with henna. My hair is virgin and blonde (which is dishwater but sun bleached) and I know henna is gonna be a big change from my natural color. I'm the kinda blonde who gets tan easily and I have dark eye brows so I don't think I'd ever fool anyone but what worries me more is how henna goes on blonde hair?

My (amazing) hair dresser told me henna on blonde is a no no no because the color is glary and not flattering which has scared me away from it big time for years - I know it's such a commitment.
SO QUESTION IS = Is henna on blonde hair always a no-go? My highlights are really light. And if I decide to do it - can continued experimentation eventually lead to a color I'll like? Or is it true that some people just can't wear henna? :( I've fantasized about henna for years, you have such gorgeous hair all of you.

maborosi
May 24th, 2015, 01:45 PM
So I really hope this isn't way off topic here (please tell me so if that's the case, maybe you know a thread I can go to that's about this? haven't found one yet)
Not a henna-head myself (yet) but this is one of my main worries with henna. My hair is virgin and blonde (which is dishwater but sun bleached) and I know henna is gonna be a big change from my natural color. I'm the kinda blonde who gets tan easily and I have dark eye brows so I don't think I'd ever fool anyone but what worries me more is how henna goes on blonde hair?

My (amazing) hair dresser told me henna on blonde is a no no no because the color is glary and not flattering which has scared me away from it big time for years - I know it's such a commitment.
SO QUESTION IS = Is henna on blonde hair always a no-go? My highlights are really light. And if I decide to do it - can continued experimentation eventually lead to a color I'll like? Or is it true that some people just can't wear henna? :( I've fantasized about henna for years, you have such gorgeous hair all of you.

My hair's naturally light ashy blonde and I have dark eyebrows (Which I lighten and tint). I use henna. It is definitely not soft like my natural color, but it brings out certain features that I like, like my eyes.

Granted I am very fair and have warm-neutral undertones, so that does play a part in how it looks on me. also, I do not use straight henna. I go for a golden copper color that's not really orange but leans more true red, if that makes sense.

Nightshade
May 24th, 2015, 02:42 PM

Henna on blonde hair is my favorite because you get the most natural ginger color. What matters more than your hair color is your skin tone. If you're warm toned henna's easy, but if you're cool-toned it might not sit as well with you.

Strand test.

Collect shed hair from your brush and try different dilutions of henna on a few hairballs to see what color you get.

Also, your hair stylist is most likely uninformed, biased, or both. This isn't her fault, hair stylists are often told many untruths about henna and associate henna with henna compounds. I would take the advice of anyone who doesn't know a lot about henna and/or use it themselves with a grain of salt.

Valorie
May 24th, 2015, 03:09 PM
Congratulations on the baby!

People know there is some sort of color enhancement but they also think I have red hair naturally. I did have light golden brown hair with red tones before ever coloring my hair, so they aren't completely wrong. At stage in life years later, I now have light ash-brown hair with grey :( as my natural color. When I use henna/cassia together for a long time, people just think it's mine because I think it gives a more natural look. I always let them know it's not natural.
And I *always* talk about how cool henna is, hehe.

arima
May 24th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Thank you for the advice, I like the cassia/henna idea. I'll look into whether my skin goes with red at all. I have light eyes too and I love how redheads' light eyes kind of pop.
I adore the true red/true ginger thing you guys have going on. It's beautiful!

(also a belated congratulations on the baby, OP, must be a few years old now :D )

arima
May 24th, 2015, 03:19 PM
also I started a separate thread for this topic so I don't take up space for your really fun henna stories

CopperRed
June 12th, 2015, 06:29 PM
I get TONS of compliments on my henna hair and I find the older women tend to think it's natural. I have golden undertones and light green/blue eyes. I've been just about every shade of red; from fire engine red to copper blonde to cherry coke red. I like them all, but LOVE LOVE LOVE the natural red color henna gives me. Even now with about 3" of roots and old faded out chemical dye/highlights with henna gloss on top, I get compliments on the color.

RavenRose
June 12th, 2015, 08:18 PM
Despite the fact that the orange/red henna I had clashed somewhat with my skin tone, because of my freckles I suspect, many thought it was natural. Until I recently started to lighten it an grow out my blonde, Most my co-workers that have known me for a couple years now, thought it was natural.

littleghost
June 22nd, 2015, 11:56 AM
Oooh yes, people ask if its my real hair color all the time. (no one asks blondes that?!) I usually say no and then they look kind of confused. hahaha

Hairkay
June 23rd, 2015, 01:09 PM
I use henna for a conditioning treatment on black hair so no one notices that I've used henna.

teal
June 23rd, 2015, 05:52 PM
I use henna for a conditioning treatment on black hair so no one notices that I've used henna.

Not even under full sun?

I don't get (m)any comments when I'm indoors. My hair is fairly dark and I think fluorescent light doesn't help with making red red visible (since it's a blue-tone light), but under the sun I get more comments.

chen bao jun
June 23rd, 2015, 07:38 PM

Iris

Henna does not look like natural red hair. It does not matter if you are pale and have freckles, the colors (they vary somewhat) that henna gives don't look like red hair does. I believe though that people may be fooled who haven't seen it much, which most people in the United States still have not, because it doesn't look like chemical hair dye.
I lived in France and the women from the various Arab and North African countries all used henna, I got very familiar with the look. where I live now there are a ton of Scotch Irish background people and more than the usual number of natural redheads and its like comparing apples to oranges. Unfortunately around here red hair is looked down upon. It's called 'hillbilly' for some reason and the redheads are teased and are embarrassed. They tend to want to bleach their hair blonde.

BoopBoop1
June 23rd, 2015, 10:34 PM
Congratulations!

And I don't think so, hahaha. I stopped using henna years ago, so I have half brown half red.

Hairkay
June 24th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Not even under full sun?

I don't get (m)any comments when I'm indoors. My hair is fairly dark and I think fluorescent light doesn't help with making red red visible (since it's a blue-tone light), but under the sun I get more comments.

It still looks black, only some the ends may look like they've got a slight added tint last henna time. I'm going to make sure that that's as far as it goes since I'm going to try out alma to limit this.

Loktra
June 26th, 2015, 04:41 PM
My natural hair color is a sort of strawberry blonde, so henna looks pretty natural with my reddish eyebrows.
I never know what to say when people ask if I'm a natural redhead, because I do naturally have reddish hair and very red body hair (TMI, sorry!), but my hair color isn't my own!
So I always say something like "Yes, I am, but this isn't my natural color."
Probably confusing for people >.<

RedStripe
June 29th, 2015, 05:22 PM
I'm not sure if I would say my henna fools people per se, but there are a fair number of people who assume it's natural unless told otherwise. Mine's pretty bright so if I were seeing it on someone else I don't think I'd assume it's natural, but I think a lot of people aren't that familiar with what natural red tones actually look like.

oatmealpie
June 29th, 2015, 06:08 PM
I never know what to say when people ask if I'm a natural redhead, because I do naturally have reddish hair and very red body hair (TMI, sorry!), but my hair color isn't my own!
So I always say something like "Yes, I am, but this isn't my natural color."
Probably confusing for people >.<

You could say "I am, but not THIS red." Or if they ask if it's your natural color you could say "Not quite."

Mattie A
June 30th, 2015, 02:09 AM
Yup, mine definitely does and I'm proud of it :)