PDA

View Full Version : Coconut oil questions :)

Scelesta
June 1st, 2014, 08:10 PM
I finally got around to buying some coconut oil, there were two kinds and it kind of confused me! both say Organic coconut oil, however one was Extra virign, the other just naturally refined, the extra pure stuff was almost 3 dollars more so hubby insisted I get the cheaper stuff. BOTH say the only ingredient is 100% coconut oil.

Is there any difference between the two? I noticed the color between the two were different, the extra virgin stuff was nearly stark white, and the stuff I bought is a more off whiteish. They are both from the same company. but will the benefits for my hair be any different? Also do I need to refrigerate it, it doesnt say anywhere on the label so I'm a bit unsure.

DweamGoiL
June 1st, 2014, 08:46 PM
From what I understand Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is just a marketing gimmick and has no additional benefits than plain Coconut Oil, particularly if you are just applying it topically. Coconut oil turns white when it cools and solidifies. If it is warmed, it will liquify and become clear. No, you do not need to refrigerate your oil unless your house gets warmer than high 70 degrees. I think the melting point is 76 degrees if I recall correctly. So as much as I know you wanted to be right and what wife doesn't, he actually made the better business decision on this one, but who says he has to know ;)

Scelesta
June 1st, 2014, 08:58 PM
From what I understand Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is just a marketing gimmick and has no additional benefits than plain Coconut Oil, particularly if you are just applying it topically. Coconut oil turns white when it cools and solidifies. If it is warmed, it will liquify and become clear. No, you do not need to refrigerate your oil unless your house gets warmer than high 70 degrees. I think the melting point is 76 degrees if I recall correctly. So as much as I know you wanted to be right and what wife doesn't, he actually made the better business decision on this one, but who says he has to know ;)

Ooh thats pretty much what he said in the store "its just crap they put on the label to make you think its better so you waste money" ahaha I wont be telling him he as right. I will have to put it in the fridge then I keep my house at a nice 80-90 degrees, except in summer where I need it at like colder then it is outside. And yes it is 76 degrees for the melting point the lid has a uh rather big label on it letting you know its melting point.

I'm already in love with it, I rubbed it on the back of my hands, and my inner arm, just to see if a. it made my skin softer or b. I was in any way allergic. It made my skin very soft so even if my hair ends up hating it(which i hope it doesnt) it i'll still use it as a lotion cause well why not!

MissHoney
June 1st, 2014, 09:39 PM
I personally did not like refined, and it was the very first coconut oil I tried. I used half and threw out the rest, but fell in love with coconut oil many months later when I tried an unrefined one. As far as extra virgin is concerned, I think there's hardly a difference. I just don't like unrefined, it didn't soak into my hair and made it greasy-- something that never happens to me with any other oil. Try the refined, if you're not convinced you like it, try the unrefined before you give up on coconut oil altogether.

NaClH2O
June 1st, 2014, 09:52 PM
There is actually a huge difference between the two, it is not a 'marketing gimmick'.

Refined coconut oil has been bleached and deodorized. It usually comes from dried coconut. It is put through high heat to remove the smell and flavor. Also, some brands may contain sodium hydroxide to preserve the coconut oil and maintain 'freshness'. Also important to note that this type of coconut oil may have been created by using chemical solvents to extract maximum oil from the coconut meat. This oil is easy to spot because is usually off white or yellowish and does not have a smell.

Unrefined coconut oil is also called 'virgin' or 'pure'. It comes from fresh coconut meat, not dried. The oil is a result of a pressing process which preserves the delicious flavor and scent of coconut. You can tell you have a high quality oil when the product is very white and aromatic. This type of oil has more nutrients than refined oil, as well as being less chemically processed and more naturally pure.

I prefer unrefined coconut oil far and beyond to any other type, even though it costs more. You are paying for quality.

Scelesta
June 1st, 2014, 10:25 PM
There is actually a huge difference between the two, it is not a 'marketing gimmick'.

Refined coconut oil has been bleached and deodorized. It usually comes from dried coconut. It is put through high heat to remove the smell and flavor. Also, some brands may contain sodium hydroxide to preserve the coconut oil and maintain 'freshness'. Also important to note that this type of coconut oil may have been created by using chemical solvents to extract maximum oil from the coconut meat. This oil is easy to spot because is usually off white or yellowish and does not have a smell.

Unrefined coconut oil is also called 'virgin' or 'pure'. It comes from fresh coconut meat, not dried. The oil is a result of a pressing process which preserves the delicious flavor and scent of coconut. You can tell you have a high quality oil when the product is very white and aromatic. This type of oil has more nutrients than refined oil, as well as being less chemically processed and more naturally pure.

I prefer unrefined coconut oil far and beyond to any other type, even though it costs more. You are paying for quality.

Oh thats good to know, I guess if this stuff doesnt work or I dont like it I'll try the more expensive stuff, it wasnt a big deal price wise or anything but hubby can be a bit frugal at times when he thinks an item is "unnecessary", I just learn to compromise lol It did say on the label its not processed with chemicals but machine pressed, but I dont really know if I fully believe a label or not so blegh. I also dont really understand what it means.

I will say I was sad when I opened it that it didnt have a scent at all :( I was really hoping it would smell at least a little like coconut, which may actually be enough to get me to buy the other stuff sooner rather then later, I like scented things :)

NaClH2O
June 1st, 2014, 10:31 PM
You can always use that stuff up in the kitchen and get yourself some nice, coconutty-scented oil for hair/skin only :p

Coconut oil is also great to cook with and the refined stuff is good if you don't want everything you eat tasting like coconut. It's yummy but not always wanted I suppose. We live and learn!

Scelesta
June 1st, 2014, 11:53 PM
Thats not a bad idea! I'd hate to waste the stuff I bought, plus if I promise to use it hubby wont complain to much lol

I dont know if its in my head or not but I put the coconut oil on my towel dried, freshly washed three times to clear out the other oils i had in my hair(ew my hair felt HORRIBLE after I did this which is why I hate washing my hair so much, it clumps together and feels so icky and dry when washed, so i only do it once a week) and conditioned with renpure argan oil conditioner, I air dry and its about 70% dry and wow...just wow. My hair always feels soft after I oiled with my olive/castor oil mix and let it dry but I have no words for this lol My hair isnt tangling at all like it normally does while wet/damp, I can easily run my fingers through it, and it feels amazing, even my tips which even with my old oils felt dry...I cannot wait till my hair is fully dry and I can see what it looks like and how it feels..I'm super excited right now haha

I was a bit off put but how it felt a few moments after I put it on my damp hair though, it made it feel...weird, but clearly I worried for nothing cause again WOW.