PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your plopping!

Rosa Harris
May 3rd, 2014, 05:54 PM
Ok,

I have been plopping as I understand it. Adter I gently lot out water from my hair with a towel I am wrapping up my hair for a while (I never pay attention to the time) in a 100 percent natural soft cotton long sleeve undershirt. I use the sleeves to tie it around like a turban.

Do you use any products before you plop? After?

How do you plop?

What do you plop with?

How long do you plop?

What does plopping supposed to accomplish?

Weewah
May 3rd, 2014, 06:20 PM
I can't Plop because it makes my waves all funky at the roots, and when I take the Plop down my waves just kinda get all pulled apart. Instead, I towel scrunch side to side, not turning my head upside down.

Plopping is supposed to help set the curls in place by folding them up like an accordion for an extended amount of time. Anywhere from 5-20 minutes is good. You're supposed to apply your products before plopping. You put a t-shirt on a flat surface then Plop your head down into it and gather the shirt and sleeves on either side, twist them like a sausage roll and tie both sides together.

cat11
May 3rd, 2014, 08:29 PM
^I plopped just like Weewah did a couple times.

I applied leave in, Cantu Shea Butter leave in worked GREAT and smelled so so so good.

The first time I did it I know this is what I used and it turned out so good, my curls looked amazingly curly and bouncy and shiny it was like a miracle.

But, every time I tried it after that it (maybe 3 times) comes out wonky and I never wear my hair down anyway since it drives me bonkers moving around and makes me paranoid.

jeanniet
May 3rd, 2014, 11:10 PM
I only plop for about 10 minutes, to absorb some excess water while I dry off and get dressed. I scrunch some water out first, though. My hair is thick and holds a lot of water, and scrunching and plopping at least gets out some of it. If I wash at night I put it in a sleep cap wet and it's dry or mostly dry by morning.

MaryO
May 4th, 2014, 07:51 AM
I have straight hair and am always looking for ways to get a wave going. Have thought about plopping before and forgot- maybe this is the sign that I should try it! ;-)

Gryphie
May 4th, 2014, 05:49 PM
I love the results I get from plopping but I found it was too tight around my forehead for more than a couple minutes. I've since switched to using my microfiber turbie twist for my plopping and really love it. I just plop my hair down in the part that fits around your skull and twist the empty 'tail' part around to the front.

Imalath
May 4th, 2014, 06:10 PM
I dry my hair using an old pillowcase made from t-shirt material and make a turban with it while I do the rest of my after-shower routine. Then I take it down, wring the water out of my hair one last time, put in my leave-in and oil, then plop using an old cotton turtleneck for about twenty to thirty minutes. Even without a holding gel or curl cream, I usually have decent day-after wurlies, but after about 36 hours they smooth out to waves. I found that plopping helps my hair curl/wave all the way up to the root, gives it better definition in general, and decreases frizz. I don't touch my hair while it dries, but it rubs across my back and shoulders anyway and tends to make its own frizz--plopping helps it dry faster, so it's not quite as frizzy.

Annibelle
May 4th, 2014, 06:33 PM
I'm not sure plopping is going to do much for you, Rosa. Our hair textures are similar, and I've tried plopping in different ways... it turns out like tangly spaghetti for me. I think plopping is useful only for curlier hair types than ours. :)

cherrybird
May 4th, 2014, 06:49 PM
I squish out excess water with my hands, apply my HG gel, then plop for about half an hour. I get weird spots around the side of my head because the pillowcase I use pushes my roots up instead of out and down like usual, but I can rearrange it with my fingers without too much hassle. My only other complaint is that I can't really part my hair very neatly.

I tried plopping overnight once. That was a huge mistake: the hair at the back of my head was completely flat and the sides stuck up. I just managed to wrangle it into a ponytail!

If I use a towel it will break up my ringlets so they're thin and flyaway instead of fat and shiny.

ExpectoPatronum
May 5th, 2014, 03:07 AM
Do you use any products before you plop? After?
-I use leave in, a curl cream, and a cone-y serum before. I usually don't use any product after.

How do you plop?
-I apply my products, comb them through my hair then scrunch a little, then I'll plop.

What do you plop with?
-Microfiber towel

How long do you plop?
-Anywhere between 10-20 minutes. Usually as long as it takes me to finish my after shower routine and get dressed.

What does plopping supposed to accomplish?
-For me, it gets the wet out of my hair, and helps my wave so my hair isn't so frizzy.

Rosa Harris
May 5th, 2014, 03:59 AM
I'm not sure plopping is going to do much for you, Rosa. Our hair textures are similar, and I've tried plopping in different ways... it turns out like tangly spaghetti for me. I think plopping is useful only for curlier hair types than ours. :)

Actually I have had great results with it so far - much more defined and springy - plus I like the way it soaks up the water. Mostly I think it just keeps me from pulling out my curlies while drying a lot of the water out - I have a terrible habit of finger-comb fluffing till its drier - not completely dry by pulling my fingers down the length of my hair kinda like you would blow out with a blow-dry brush. I'm probably doing quite a bit of damage doing that for at least an hour repetitively on my extra fine hair anyway so anything that can decrease my ADHD manipulation of my hair should be helpful.

Enrapture
May 5th, 2014, 05:42 AM
I'm still experimenting. Sometimes plopping helps, sometimes breaks the curl pattern.
I usually put my gel in and then plop with cotton t-shirt. I don't leave it for long, but I make sure that it isn't dropping wet. It helps me with the curl, since I have a weak curl pattern it sometimes helps me to achieve more curly look.

clioariane
May 5th, 2014, 06:36 AM
LOL plopping is slang for having sex here.

sourgrl
May 5th, 2014, 07:11 AM
I'm really enjoying your CG journey, Rosa Harris Amazing results so far!

I prefer damp bunning to plopping. Damp bunning gives me the looser waves I like :)

Bagginslover
May 5th, 2014, 07:19 AM
LOL plopping is slang for having sex here.
Slang for defecating here...

Either way, this is the only place on the net you can ask this question with out getting funny looks ;)

Rosa Harris
May 5th, 2014, 07:28 AM
I'm really enjoying your CG journey, Rosa Harris Amazing results so far!

I prefer damp bunning to plopping. Damp bunning gives me the looser waves I like :)

Its quite a struggle with myself - I know I have some hair related image issues.
Seeing myself with waves is sort of shocking and sometimes hard to take.
yet I think is absolutely gorgeous too! and my habby will not stop talking about the new turn my hair has taken when in the past he has pushed at time for me to chop it off so it would not look so 'hippy-scraggly'