PDA

View Full Version : Big oops on bangs

LauraLongLocks
May 3rd, 2014, 02:03 PM
So, I'm growing out my bangs. Last time I cut them was in January, and I've been making good progress. I can pull them back into a very high ponytail and they sort of stay on their own for a while before they eventually work their way out. Great. Yay. But, sometimes I thought I might miss having bangs sometimes, so I bought a clip-in bang, and it arrived today. I pulled it out and realized it was going to need some cutting to make it the right size, so I clipped it in and began trimming it to size. I took it off, and oops, my own bangs somehow worked their way into the trimming. Now I have a terrible butchered job in front, all different lengths. Not sure exactly what I should do. Maybe I should leave it, and it'll just blend in over time. Or maybe I should cut my entire bangs again so that it all matches. Ugh, I was really getting close to the manageable zone with them, and this is really upsetting. The shortest lengths are now just above my eyebrows and the longest pieces are to the bottom row of my eyelashes.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here is a picture. I lost about two months' worth of growth it looks like. Also, this is 3rd day hair, so it's laying flatter (longer) than it will on wash day.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/Bestbirth/Hair%20Gallery/Bigoopsonbangs001.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Bestbirth/media/Hair%20Gallery/Bigoopsonbangs001.jpg.html)

Now just how am I supposed to give my bang grow-out progress reports on my YouTube videos with this mess? (I've been sharing updates in my videos.) Even if I cut all of them to match, I'll still have to explain when I show my growth. Maybe I just won't mention my bangs for a while, and keep them pulled/pinned back, like for the next 6 months. Alternatively, I could decide to just cut them again as a tutorial, but without an explanation, I would feel like I had failed in the grow-out process. And if I do explain, I would feel totally stupid!

Nadine <3
May 3rd, 2014, 02:09 PM
Aw, they really are not to terrible! Don't beat yourself up, it sounds like something I would do lol. If the unevenness bothers you you could trim them to match. That's what I would do. But, if it doesn't bother you just pin it back. For your videos, just be honest! You can always even them up when they get longer. Don't worry about looking/feeling stupid. I'm sure we've all been there once or twice.

jacqueline101
May 3rd, 2014, 02:10 PM
I'd trim the bangs to match and regrow them explain that in the video. It's a thought.

eva888
May 3rd, 2014, 02:15 PM
It really doesn't look bad! I didn't notice it until you explained what I should be looking for :)

I was thinking there is a style of bangs that is shorter in the middle and longer on the sides.
http://img2.timeinc.net/instyle/images/2013/GALLERY/071813-school-bangs-carly-rae-jepson-400.jpg

You could trim them just a little in the middle so that they are kind of layered. That way the short strand in the middle doesn't look like an accident but you still don't lose the length on the sides. Just a thought!

ErinLeigh
May 3rd, 2014, 02:19 PM
Gah you poor thing. Your face says EVERYTHING . This totally sounds like something I would do. It is a total bummer but I think the bangs are going to grow back super fast.
I would trim and even them them and eek out a few last months of enjoying bangs again. How are the sides? IF they are still longer and only the middle was chopped you can do an inverted U shape and keep some length

How did the trim on the clip on turn out? Everything ok there?

EDIT: Yes, like that photo, I love those. Is that doable?

LauraLongLocks
May 3rd, 2014, 02:27 PM
Yes, this was the improved face. The first two pictures my face was even more unhappy.

I guess I'll trim them back one last time and keep the tapered look as much as possible, and if I'm careful with how I trim, I can keep a little more length and get the shorter pieces to blend in a little bit. Ugh! Should I do it in a YouTube? I had at least one request for a bang trim tutorial. I guess I could do that. I'm no expert on trimming bangs, but I can give it a shot.

The clip-ins? I didn't finish trimming them. I was so horrified by what I did that I put them away and vowed not to finish the trimming job until my own bangs could safely be pulled all the way into a ponytail and stay put while I do the cutting. I also think I need to flat iron them because they are sort of whirly and won't lay as flat as I want. But I don't own a flat iron (I'm a 1c, why would I need a flat iron?), so maybe I'll try wetting and blowing them dry first. They are synthetic, so they may not handle high heat anyway.

LauraLongLocks
May 3rd, 2014, 02:35 PM
I actually think I'll give it two weeks before I do anything. Sort of a two week rule for a screw-up. I'll keep them pinned back and won't talk about them on YouTube at all. Just ignore them and wait two weeks and see how I feel about it.

YamaMaya
May 3rd, 2014, 02:42 PM
It's taken me 2 years for my bangs to reach cbl so I feel for you on this one :grouphug: I would say to at least make lemonade out of these lemons, tidy them up a bit and enjoy them while you've got them. Just repeat after me "hair grows" :)

Katrine
May 3rd, 2014, 02:49 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about what happened with your bangs. I used to wear my bangs in that tapered style. It looks pretty good, there is just a small section above your nose and above your eye on the right side (which would be your left) which you could trim slightly to even them up and then just let them grow. I started growing mine last year and they have grown but it does seem like it takes forever. They look really good on you by the way. I'm sure you look great with or without bangs! :)

schnibbles
May 3rd, 2014, 04:23 PM
I don't actually think it looks that bad. I mean, I see one spot that looks a little shorter than the rest, but at 1st glance, it doesn't really stand out to me. I would probably wait and see how it looks after a wash and dry before I did anything drastic if it were me. (I tend to be overly-cautious about cutting in general though)
I feel for you... it will be ok. Your hair seems to grow pretty fast?
I've been growing mine out for a year and they are only halfway down my neck.

lapushka
May 3rd, 2014, 04:43 PM
I'd leave them as is. Just grow them out; the shorter pieces will grow along with time. Time. Time is key here, right. Wish they grew overnight for you, but that ain't gonna happen. :(

Cania
May 3rd, 2014, 04:45 PM
What about a side swept fringe? Easily done with a little fringe training. Would hide the uneven bits - not that they are that noticeable, mind.

http://www.hairstylestars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/hairstyles-for-layered-hair.jpg

momschicklets
May 3rd, 2014, 05:26 PM
Oh LauraLongLocks I just feel so bad for you! I can just see you saying, "You have got to be kidding!" I would have been so upset too. I think you're wise to invoke the 2-week rule and not jump to a fast fix that might make things worse because you acted while still feeling upset about it. Side sweeping the bangs hides a multitude of sins! LOL And try to remember that someday you will look back on this and laugh (hopefully). :flower:

turtlelover
May 3rd, 2014, 05:29 PM
I'd just point cut the other side a little bit to match and texturize the ends a bit and it will be fine. I've seen MUCH worse.

ashke50
May 3rd, 2014, 05:39 PM
Oh LauraLongLocks, what a horrible moment it must have been when you realised you'd caught your own hair in the trimming! I know you must be kicking yourself now, but it doesn't look bad, and once you've worked out what you want to do I'm sure you'll make it look great. And it wasn't that long ago when you had your fringe before, so if you just have to grow it out from scratch then hopefully it won't set you back too far.

LauraLongLocks
May 3rd, 2014, 11:24 PM
It's not that they look terrible, or that they are unfixable. They are fine, and can be tidied up to look intentional. Tapered bangs look nice. It's the fact that I lost a couple months growth and took a big step backwards causing the awkward zone to last longer. I have a mini flexi8 coming in the mail, so I might be able to pin them straight back with a little pouf in front with the flexi8 when it gets here. Until then, I will sweep them back and pin with bobby pins or cheap metal clip barrettes or mini claw clips. Headbands sort of slide off after a few hours. I can never make them stay put unless I am wearing my hair down.

Thank you all for the virtual group hugs. Hair grows back. It's not like I lost ALL of my hair in this mess, or anything.

On a side note, those clip in bangs are much thicker than my own. It would take about half my head of hair to get bangs that thick. So I think they will be even nicer than my own when I get around to fixing them the rest of the way. I'm going to love having the option. I'll consider them to be just another hair toy in my collection.

ErinLeigh
May 4th, 2014, 02:56 AM
The clip ons sound awesome. I have been scouting a pair on amazon and cant believe how affordable they are. I love bangs but could never get mine to lay right so hearing about these was exciting. I need to pick a haircolor before buying so am waiting but its getting hard.
I think you are going to have great fun rocking these out and cannot wait to see a picture of them on you.

Henna Girl
May 4th, 2014, 03:25 AM
I can understand you frustration Laura but it doesn't look bad. I would tidy them up a bit and start growing them all over again.
Good luck

Ocelan
May 4th, 2014, 03:27 AM
I don't think they look bad. In fact I'm really bad at noticing small gaps like that so I really had to look to see what you meant. I wouldn't trim them back to an even length as they will get uneven as they grow anyway if you don't trim them. If it bothers you really a lot, then the only thing I would do is to dust them every month or two weeks just the tiniest amount, but I don't see that necessary either. As you are growing them out and not maintaining them, people might assume they grow at different rates and that's that. In your videos I would just mention that you had a small accident with your bangs but brush it off as something that will get evened out as your hair grows. It's really not the end of the world as you will most likely not have your overgrown bangs hanging in your face daily for people to notice.

Tota
May 4th, 2014, 05:02 AM
Oh LauraLongLocks, I'm so sorry this happened to you. I totally understand you're frustrated - it took me two years to outgrow my bangs and I'm still not happy with how they look now - still not blended at APL :/ But as you said, hair grows and all you can really do is wait. It doesn't even look bad. I think you should talk about what happened in your video - it's an interesting story and it may help your viewers to be more careful themselves. The one thing I admire most in those who make videos on youtube is honesty and being able to talk openly about their experience.