PDA

View Full Version : Origin of the Chinese bun?

wallflower
February 26th, 2014, 01:07 PM
I have a question about the bun style that is commonly referred to as the "Chinese bun." I feel like I'm asking a question that I could have easily found the answer to with a quick Google search, so I apologize for that—but I've been unable to find much because Chinese bun is such a generic term. Mostly I get tutorials and bread bun recipes. :P

Basically, I'm wondering if it's a traditional Chinese hairstyle, or if it's just a random bun style that someone decided to call the "Chinese bun." And if it's the former, does it have cultural significance? Could a Chinese person take offense at me wearing it?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I searched the Cultural Appropriation thread and other places on the forum, but didn't see any discussions about this.

chen bao jun
February 26th, 2014, 08:07 PM
I never saw anyone wear a 'Chinese' bun in China when I lived there, nor do I ever see that hairstyle in traditional art or photographs from pre-modern China. so my guess is that it's 'Chinese' for the same reason that 'French' braids are French (French people actually call them 'African' braids--go figure).
I can't imagine any Chinese person being concerned about how you wish to wear your hair, much less offended. As for 'cultural appropriation' in my experience the only people who have even heard this term are college professors filling up class time with non-issues. One of them might attack you for the 'edification' of the rest of the class if you let out that you are wearing a 'Chinese' bun but I think you are safe otherwise. Unless of course the professor can see your hairstick and ignorantly describes it as a 'chopstick' which, if memory serves, is what happened to the poor girl who started the 'cultural appropriation' thread, which is why is there is such a thread on this forum to begin with...
Really, if nobody ever borrowed from other cultures--but I think I said all I have to say on this subject over on the other thread.