PDA

View Full Version : A question for anyone who has had a bad haircut?

susieq998
February 25th, 2014, 10:23 AM
Is it better to just let it grow out for to have someone try to fix it? If you let it grow out how long did it take before your hair started looking nice again?

Stormynights
February 25th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Some can be fixed some can't. Go to a trusted stylist and ask.

Nadine <3
February 25th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Sometimes. I couldn't fix mine because it was cut waaaay to short and cutting off more wouldn't have helped so I just had to let it grow.

JessicaAnn
February 25th, 2014, 12:54 PM
When I had the big chop I found that it took about six weeks for it to start looking alright to me. It was still terribly short, but it had started to grow out the shape that woman cut it into and into something more like me. Now, 4 1/2 months in, the back is currently a little messier than I'd like with the layers growing wild. But at any time I could go get about half an inch nipped off the bottom and then ends of the layers dusted and blended and it would look great, even if it isn't exactly what I want. The important part is that it is looking like a messy version of a hairstyle I like and not like the disaster she cut it into to begin with.

I anticipate that sometime in the next several months I will actually have the hair I want (BSL with long layers) or be close enough to stop worrying about it. If you can live with it for a few weeks I would leave it be. You would be surprised at how much just a little growth can change a haircut. It might not look a whole lot better, but it might give you a little more to work with.

velorutionista
February 25th, 2014, 03:14 PM
If it's still long enough to put up and out of sight, I'd just keep it up out of the way and let it grow out for a couple months, then go get it "fixed". If it's too short for that, then bite the bullet and get it "fixed" (though that runs the risk of going ever shorter and still not liking the end result). But also, I'm totally a 'put it up and forget it' sort, so that may not work for everyone!

Anje
February 25th, 2014, 03:17 PM
Totally depends on if it's fixable. You can't fix too short.

shutterpillar
February 25th, 2014, 03:23 PM
I'm another that says "it depends." I had a horrible shag haircut in 2010 and there was really nothing that could be done for it besides let it grow out about four inches and get it fixed from there. I just had to pin it up and make it as decent as I could for about six months until it was long enough to fix.

:shrug:

susieq998
February 25th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Its not really to short for overall length. Its the layers I don't like them and want them gone as soon as possible. they are heavy and just look bad unless I style everyday. so is it even worth trying to fix if I dont even like layers in the first place sure they may improve the look but I want them gone asap I much prefer blunt haircut. I'm thinking just dealing with it and grow it out for a year then start trimming away at the ends every 2-3 months after that that way I can make them long layers at least lol. You think that would work?

shutterpillar
February 25th, 2014, 03:36 PM
That's how I got rid of my layers... it took me over a year, but they are finally gone after trimming 1/2 inch every three months. It made my growing process much longer, but the layers are gone.

If you absolutely cannot stand them, then you have to decide whether you would be willing to go as short as you need to go to get rid of them in one cut.

Anyuta
February 25th, 2014, 05:17 PM
Well, I'd say if it bothers you THAT much, otherwise you can always wait before forming something nice out of it. I did my chop myself and don't regret a bit. No matter how bad it was done, it can still look ok after wash and maybe with few hair clips here and there. The thing is, the sooner it will grow longer the sooner you will be able to correct it. If you do anything now it will take even longer to get a desired shape.

divinedobbie
February 25th, 2014, 06:03 PM
I also got terrible layers put in, twice. I got heavy layers about three years ago, grew them out. Went to a different hairdresser 8 months ago who said my hair would only get body with layers. I had forgotten about the horrors of layers so I mindlessly agreed. Worst decision ever. I decided to grow them out patiently and chop an inch every few months since getting rid of them would mean chopping my BSL hair into a bob!

spidermom
February 25th, 2014, 06:29 PM
The last time I had a really bad haircut, I went somewhere else and got a very short pixie.
Haircuts that were just kind of wonky I put up with until it grew out.

ErinLeigh
February 25th, 2014, 06:48 PM
Is it better to just let it grow out for to have someone try to fix it? If you let it grow out how long did it take before your hair started looking nice again?

I am struggling with this right now. I have a ton of layers that just don't look good right now in the grow out. I have been maintaining a few months but it seems the layers are still getting trimmed too much. I am seriously thinking of getting a shoulder length bob to even things up.

I guess my opinion is...if you can wear hair up all the time let it grow. But if you want to wear it down and still enjoy how hair looks then cut it. Or if you really have a length goal then I guess growing out and just getting there may be better. Layers for instance start to look nice once hair is longer. Everything seems to lay better. It really just depends in what you are working with.

I personally am giving myself 30 days to decide. I scheduled an appt for March 20 and will decide then. I am leaning towards the bob but a lot can change in a month

ErinLeigh
February 25th, 2014, 06:55 PM
for instance..
my cut reminds me of this
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/coconutcraze/Mobile%20Uploads/f5b15769-872c-4ce0-b3c6-ae7f7f814d66_zps571aae15.jpg (http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/coconutcraze/media/Mobile%20Uploads/f5b15769-872c-4ce0-b3c6-ae7f7f814d66_zps571aae15.jpg.html)

but I think it would look much better if I cut to this THEN grow out as then the basic style is already there, and it can grow to length without much fuss
I also think this one, although shorter..looks longer
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/coconutcraze/Mobile%20Uploads/7bf96f67-5a45-4edc-af15-842a3ac00833_zps2bce71cc.jpg (http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/coconutcraze/media/Mobile%20Uploads/7bf96f67-5a45-4edc-af15-842a3ac00833_zps2bce71cc.jpg.html)