PDA

View Full Version : taking pics of the back of your head?

archel
March 18th, 2008, 06:54 PM
How do you do it? I finally figured out how to do an infinity bun, and I have the sterling silver and swarovski crystal sticks I made in it - and I want a picture before I take it down to go to bed! *pout*

No, I can't figure out the self timer...and I can't get a backwards shot in the mirror to save my life because of the flash or lack thereof...

Help me, photography people!

capelli lunghi
March 18th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Here is what I do for updos.. I'm right-handed.. I hold my camera in my right hand stretched out behind me to the side.. I turn my head and look directly into the lens... Then when I'm ready to take the pic, I turn my head back around and look the opposite direction I was just looking.. so off to the left. Do all this while not moving the camera.. lol.. then *snap*.. This is what I do at least.

Poolsoflaughter
March 18th, 2008, 07:17 PM
My pics are trial and error in front of my bathroom mirror...and a LOT of cropping later on! It gets easier..:o

chrissy-b
March 18th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I use the timer on my camera, so I'm not much help. :(

icydove
March 18th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Most of the time, I use a self-timer or I stretch my hand outward and turn my head around as far as I can. I initially did the mirror shots, but those were really hard to get into focus (you need the flash off). My aiming is a little easier than it is for most because my camera flips around so you can view what is being shot on the mini-monitor.

If I were you, I'd find your camera's instructions to figure out the self-timer. It will make things SO much easier.

squiggyflop
March 18th, 2008, 07:27 PM
i use my self timer and a tripod now but i used to have to take a dozen mirror shots at once to get just one good one...

Pat
March 18th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Well, I use .... my dear son, who huffs and puffs but ends up taking the picture!

AJoifulNoise
March 18th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I usually make use of the self-timer. But, sometimes I use a different method. I hold the camera out in front of me as far as I can with both hands (lens facing away). Then I lift my arms over my head and back behind my head- still stretched as far as they go. Then snap the picture. Most of the time the picture comes out centered... But, it does take some time and practice.

auntdaisy
March 18th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Well, I use .... my dear son, who huffs and puffs but ends up taking the picture!

Dear sons are the best camera accessory! ;)

Neon Gloss
March 18th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Well, you have a few options here!
1) Use a mirror
2) Get someone to take it for you (they'd be impressed, I'm sure!)
3) Stretch your arms behind you in the weirdest way possible
4) Look up how to use the timer on your camera (google or the instruction booklet, if you still have it)

Patrycja
March 18th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I'm the same way about croping and lots of pics before you get the right one.I can get someone else to take the pic every once in awhile but I do get the strange look.As you can see from my siggy-I have to do it myself the majority of the time.
I wonder if my camera has a self timer,,I just got it.

Silver & Gold
March 18th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I have a camera built in to my computer. It gives me a four second count down so I just quickly turn around.

tiny_teesha
March 19th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Yep i use self timer, or i hold the camera to my right side of the face, and turn my face the other way around so you get the back of the head.

ale
March 19th, 2008, 03:13 AM
I use a tripod and a remote control, I', not of much help too!

Sarahmoon
March 19th, 2008, 03:44 AM
I did not make many picures yet, but so far I usually stretch my arm behind me and take about 20 pictures from slightly different angles and only 3 or 4 turn out well :laugh:

florenonite
March 19th, 2008, 03:59 AM
I lift my camera far above my head (so I can crop the flash out later) and take my picture in the mirror. My camera hasn't got a self-timer feature (that is, I've looked through the menu a million times and haven't found it, and it's more than three years old, just like my lovely computer who is behaving today, at least ^_^)

aisling
March 19th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Most cameras have a self timer and it's really worth figuring that out, it makes it so much easier. I lived in the belief that the self timer on our old (some 7 years old) camera was difficult and I felt pretty stupid once I figured it out, it's sooo easy to use :)

Now I just need a tripod, as the book shelf I'm using is a bit hard to move outside...

Hypnotica
March 19th, 2008, 05:02 AM
I use the timer function and then I put the camera in the dryer. :)

carinkla
March 19th, 2008, 05:08 AM
I use the timer and a bookshelf..I know exactly were to stand if I am photographing an updo and when I have my hair loose and want all of it on the pic..

Garnet66
March 19th, 2008, 06:23 AM
I put the camera on the kitchen countertop then set the timer. Then I kneel in front of the camera and click. I can usually get pretty good shots this way.

Morag
May 10th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I can't get a backwards shot in the mirror to save my life because of the flash or lack thereof...

Archel, my camera kept auto-flashing and ruining shots, too. I finally rigged a small lamp at the top of my mirror, where it shines on the back of my head (and at the camera), and the camera only occasionally flashes now.

How many people here have had to rig a light over their mirror so they can take photos of the backs of their heads?

How many have had to try to explain that to someone who is not hair obsessed?

:D

Oh, gosh, I didn't realize how many people here actually had the right equipment for this! Archel, I turn my back to the (lighted) mirror, hold my camera in one hand at eye level, hold a hand mirror in the other hand behind the camera so that it reflects what's showing in the viewfinder on the camera, get everything lined up so I can see the back of my head in both mirrors (the main one and the hand mirror that's showing the camera viewfinder), and snap. Sometimes it takes a few tries. I don't always get great definition, but sometimes it works out pretty well, and I'm getting better at it as I do it more.

eadwine
May 10th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I use the timer AND the extended arm thing AND the both arms over the head technique :roll: hihi

In all cases it involves a lot of cropping with The Gimp :lol:

DavidN
May 10th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I use the self timer, set to 10 seconds, and a trusty old tripod. It works very well, but I find myself discarding a lot of photos! The self timer function is accessed quite raedily from the "menu" section of your camera.

Dulci
May 10th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Another tip for those who take mirror pictures, remember to clean your mirror first. It's easier to clean your mirror than it is to try to photoshop out those pesky spots.

KatKeRo
May 10th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I use a tripod and a selftimer.
I don't have to discard all that many photo's.

jessie58
May 10th, 2008, 12:18 PM
KatKeRo, what a gorgeous siggy pic.

I have very little luck with the mirror shots. I have no luck with the arm behind the head shots. I have recently figured out my timer and where to place it on a shelf. No tripod. What works best, DD16, she takes a helluva good pic. :)

jessie58
May 10th, 2008, 12:19 PM

Okay an explanation is needed here, lol. :eek:

KatKeRo
May 10th, 2008, 12:24 PM
KatKeRo, what a gorgeous siggy pic.

Thank you Jessie.

angelthadiva
May 10th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I'm going to look at my camera menu again, I don't think I have a self timer...I usually have BFF/coworker/SIL take my pics if I'm at work...I don't even ask her anymore...I just shove the camera in her hand and turn around. :D If I'm at home DS13 takes my pics, and only occasionally I'll ask DH to do it.

eadwine
May 10th, 2008, 12:44 PM

IN the dryer?

*giggles* I understand what you mean, but it delivered a pretty picture in my mind :lol:

TammySue
May 10th, 2008, 01:59 PM
You all take such lovely pictures! I'm not sure if my camera has a self-timer and I don't have a tripod. I need someone to take pictures for me. Any volunteers? :D

Nynaeve
May 10th, 2008, 02:31 PM
How do you do it? I finally figured out how to do an infinity bun, and I have the sterling silver and swarovski crystal sticks I made in it - and I want a picture before I take it down to go to bed! *pout*

No, I can't figure out the self timer...and I can't get a backwards shot in the mirror to save my life because of the flash or lack thereof...

Help me, photography people!

I either hold it out behind my head andclick (for pics of just the head area, not down pics) and use the selftimer for length pics. The selftimer should be easy.
Find the button for it, and click it. Then when you are ready, press down the shudder button slightly, and get into position. It will give you somewhere around 10 seconds to get situated.

florenonite
May 10th, 2008, 03:19 PM
You all take such lovely pictures! I'm not sure if my camera has a self-timer and I don't have a tripod. I need someone to take pictures for me. Any volunteers? :D

I'm going to look at my camera menu again, I don't think I have a self timer...I usually have BFF/coworker/SIL take my pics if I'm at work...I don't even ask her anymore...I just shove the camera in her hand and turn around. :D If I'm at home DS13 takes my pics, and only occasionally I'll ask DH to do it.

I didn't think my camera had a self-timer, either, so I Googled "Kodak Cameras" then on the search function on the site typed in the model of my camera and found info on how to use it. Now I just have to find somewhere to place the camera.

harley mama
May 10th, 2008, 03:23 PM
I use the timer and a tripod to take self photos.
If DH is around he is happy to take photos of the back of my head.

Your camera should have instructions on how to use the timer.

curls2grow
June 14th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Found this thread and wanted to revive it. 15yo DS is starting to get snarky with his comments about photographing my hair. DH is occasionally willing, but not good with my camera. So I've been doing mirror photography and it's a pain. I have a timer and a tripod, but I can't seem to get in the right spot for a good photo that way. :(

Any tips on how to do the "arms overhead with back toward mirror" technique? I don't understand how you aim the camera to get such good shots of the back of your head, so clearly photographed.

demitasse
June 14th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I take my pictures in the mirror holding the camera over my head. It was just trial and error for me. It took several shots of the top of my head and the sink for me to get it right but it's pretty easy now. I put my arms up and slightly past the back of my head and then angle the camera. After I've taken the picture, I check it on the screen and then make adjustments accordingly. I think everyone who's tried to take a picture of the back of their head has many pictures of everything but their head.

I've found it's easier for me to skip the flash. I set the camera to Macro to get it nice and sharp, turn off the flash. We have two lights hanging on either side of the mirror that gives nice light. You can see an example in my profile. I don't have permission to access my own profile but I think it's there. Just be prepared to do some experimenting the first couple times around if you go the mirror method.

I take my own because I haven't worked up the nerve to ask someone to take a picture of the back of my head. :) I'm afraid to offer the explanation that it's so I can post it on the Internet.

viking_quest
June 14th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I have an archaic camera which does not have a self timer. I do a lot of trial and error in the bathroom with the mirror, or I do a lot of trial and error outside with my arm stretched out as long as I can (maybe it's a good thing I have long arms after all) which was how I got my siggie picture.

Quixii
June 14th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I use the timer and a tripod, or my dad. ^^;
If I can't use one of those, for some reason, I'll spend quite a bit of time trying to figure out the perfect awkward positioning of my arms behind me, or attempt some mirroring stuff.

xrosiex
June 14th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I always have someone else take it for me. I never can seem to get pictures of my back.:)

JamieLeigh
June 15th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I also use the self-timer on my camera nowadays, but before I learned to do that, I was stuck with my crappy cell phone camera. :rolleyes: I did the same thing as the second poster - I leaned the camera as far back as I could go, looked straight into the lens, then turned my head around before taking the pic. That worked great for updos. I used to try to bank photos off my bathroom mirror for length shots. Those usually took multiple tries due to the flash. :pinktongue:

Really, your best bet is to find your camera instructions, or find a willing person to photograph you. :)

zen_oven
June 15th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I just make my hubby take it. He rolls his eyes but always obliges.

Bunnyhare
June 15th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Morag said:Oh, gosh, I didn't realize how many people here actually had the right equipment for this! Archel, I turn my back to the (lighted) mirror, hold my camera in one hand at eye level, hold a hand mirror in the other hand behind the camera so that it reflects what's showing in the viewfinder on the camera, get everything lined up so I can see the back of my head in both mirrors (the main one and the hand mirror that's showing the camera viewfinder), and snap. Sometimes it takes a few tries. I don't always get great definition, but sometimes it works out pretty well, and I'm getting better at it as I do it more.

Ditto! and how do you get that thing that looks like a recessed window when you are duplicating a previous quote?!

WritingPrincess
June 15th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I never mastered the mirror shot, nor the arms-behind-the-head pose, or even the self-timer. I would get my mom, my dad, or my sister to take the picture for me. But, my new camera has a remote! Hence, I can take pictures of my own head! That's probably not helpful, though . . .

funnybunny668
June 15th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Ditto! and how do you get that thing that looks like a recessed window when you are duplicating a previous quote?!

Click on the little "Quote" button on the bottom right of their post instead of clicking "reply". :)

I usually do bathroom mirror shots, or get hubby to do it. He's pretty easy to persuade, and just rolls his eyes without saying anything.