PDA

View Full Version : Coloring hair with blackberries, Part II

spidermom
September 3rd, 2008, 12:46 PM
I thought the results were rather subtle, so I decided to repeat the application overnight. First will be my natural ends, followed by the colored ends.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/naturalends.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/2blackberryday2.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/blackberryday2.jpg
And there I am in all my frizzy-headed, 2C glory, with violet-toned ends.

What do you think?

SHELIAANN1969
September 3rd, 2008, 12:57 PM
I think it's way cool!! And I love that it's natural.

I am just wondering if it will fade, how long the color will last, and if there is a phase III whole head experiment coming soon?

;)

spidermom
September 3rd, 2008, 01:04 PM
Phase III is how fast and how completely will it fade away? Phase IV (whole head) depends on the result of phase III.

wintersun99
September 3rd, 2008, 01:27 PM
anxiously awaiting phase III :)

Elenna
September 3rd, 2008, 02:30 PM
Hey Spidermom, that's a new one -- blackberries. Would blueberries stain the same way?

So if you want purple-reddish-burgundy hair use blackberries!

lora410
September 3rd, 2008, 02:37 PM
oh wow that is gorgeous spidermom!!!!

spidermom
September 3rd, 2008, 02:54 PM
Hey Spidermom, that's a new one -- blackberries. Would blueberries stain the same way?

So if you want purple-reddish-burgundy hair use blackberries!

I don't have enough blueberries to carry out that experiment. However, there are several gazillion ripe blackberries out there right now.

ktani
September 3rd, 2008, 03:01 PM
I have been eating a lot of blueberries lately.

On my kitchen counter, (if I drop one) they leave a dark purple liquid but when I wipe that up with a wet, yellow cleaning cloth, then wash out the cloth with my acidic liquid soap, and rinse, I get a lighter blue stain, that eventually washes out. Blueberries contain anthocyanins too. I posted about anthocyanins, here.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=254517&postcount=20

Blueberries and anthocyanins
"Anthocyanins, the blue-red pigments found in blueberries ...."
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=8

Patrycja
September 3rd, 2008, 03:12 PM
Henna and blackberry juice? Now-that's something I would be very interested in. Maybe a henna-indigo mixed with blackberry juice. I would think that the results would be a reddish-violet-black(more or less black,depending on how much indigo).I'm going to keep an eye out on this experiement of yours most definately. I am very intrigued on adding it to henna.

Shypii90
September 3rd, 2008, 03:43 PM
That's amazing Spidermom!
The new colour of your ends looks great, especially on your natural ends. well done for being creative and innovative! Talk about natural hair dye alternative!

You do know if this works then you could sell it off and be rich right? ;)

spidermom
September 3rd, 2008, 03:58 PM
That's amazing Spidermom!
The new colour of your ends looks great, especially on your natural ends. well done for being creative and innovative! Talk about natural hair dye alternative!

You do know if this works then you could sell it off and be rich right? ;)

Only if I can gain control of all the blackberry bushes.

Euphony
September 3rd, 2008, 04:14 PM
Oh my I have a huge slough of blackberries behind my place. That came out such a great color! hahaha now I'm wondering if I should try adding it to my henna.

Now your pic has me all flustered on my hair type again! My hair looks just like that and sometimes wavier on wash day. I don't think I'll ever make up my mind - anyone mind if I just use 2? :smile:

jel
September 3rd, 2008, 04:16 PM
WOW!!!

:thudpile:

I think it's obvious by now that I love red hair, and your blackberry tinted ends look great, Spidermom. However, the colour almost pales (;)) in comparison with your gorgeous waves! Stunning!

redbark
September 3rd, 2008, 04:20 PM
I suggest you go to phase 4 before phase 3.

Why, you ask? Because I am curious to see your whole head turn that gorgeous color - that's why.

And because I don't have to deal with the fading :oops:

But mainly because I am curious :D

jojo
September 3rd, 2008, 04:25 PM
That looks really pretty, hey between us we could make a pie!

spidermom
September 3rd, 2008, 04:34 PM
Oh my I have a huge slough of blackberries behind my place. That came out such a great color! hahaha now I'm wondering if I should try adding it to my henna.

Now your pic has me all flustered on my hair type again! My hair looks just like that and sometimes wavier on wash day. I don't think I'll ever make up my mind - anyone mind if I just use 2? :smile:

The hair-typing system says that if you have mostly waves with some spirals, then you're a 2C. I don't see spirals in your current picture, but if you have them, denounce denial and jump on the 2C train.

spidermom
September 3rd, 2008, 04:35 PM
I suggest you go to phase 4 before phase 3.

Why, you ask? Because I am curious to see your whole head turn that gorgeous color - that's why.

And because I don't have to deal with the fading :oops:

But mainly because I am curious :D

You know? I just might!

spidermom
September 3rd, 2008, 04:41 PM
No wait - that's supposed to be REnounce denial.

Euphony
September 3rd, 2008, 04:48 PM
The hair-typing system says that if you have mostly waves with some spirals, then you're a 2C. I don't see spirals in your current picture, but if you have them, denounce denial and jump on the 2C train.
You know I think I need to try doing a hair typing picture this weekend, maybe I can be patient enough on Saturday or Sunday not to touch it. I get these weird spirals at the bottom but I read somewhere that the spirals are supposed to be higher up like around the ears I think (can't remember).

And I seriously need to update my siggy pic, that one you took on Whidbey :D That was the bad wet bun day I had before I finally found the place (I felt so lost for so long - stupid website directions).

emeraldfaery
September 3rd, 2008, 05:48 PM
That is really neat! I have always wondered if poke berries would work as a hair dye. They sure stain the fingers! Did you add anything to the blackberry juice while you were cooking it?

spidermom
September 3rd, 2008, 05:50 PM
That is really neat! I have always wondered if poke berries would work as a hair dye. They sure stain the fingers! Did you add anything to the blackberry juice while you were cooking it?

Not this time, but next time I'm going to add a little vinegar. It might help the color cling longer.

Elenna
September 3rd, 2008, 07:06 PM
Wouldn't it be something if someone with light colored hair used blueberries to get blue hair! ;)

WURW
September 3rd, 2008, 07:28 PM
Spidermom - Good on you for daring to go where ..... darn how does that Star Trek thing go. Oh well good on you. It looks great. I love that colour. Can't wait to see more.

CaityBear
September 3rd, 2008, 07:29 PM
Wow, never would of thought of colouring hair with blackberries. That's pretty cool.

SHELIAANN1969
September 3rd, 2008, 07:48 PM
That looks really pretty, hey between us we could make a pie!

That reminds me of that rhyme about four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie.

So below is my own version, i couldn'tresist.

I would call it "hair pie" but, ahem, that doesn't sound right :D

"Ode Au'Natural"

Sing a song of henna
a sachet full of dye,
there's all kind of goodies
thrown into this pie.

When the towel unravelled
her hair was full of shine,
wasn't that a wonder
and naturally divine?

The Queen came from the bathroom
head dripping with honey,
The King was shocked, she looked this great
without spending his money!

The maidens in the forum
were happy, full of glee
and said move over, it's my turn
now spread some pie on me! :D:D:D

(original poem below)

Sing a song of sixpence
a pocket full of rye.
Four and twenty blackbirds
baked in a pie.
When the pie was opened,
the birds began to sing.
Wasn't that a dainty dish
to set before the king?
The king was in his counting house,
counting out his money.
The queen was in the parlour
eating bread and honey.
The maid was in the garden,
hanging out the clothes,
When down came a blackbird
and pecked off her nose!

spidermom
September 3rd, 2008, 07:55 PM
Oh my goodness sheliaann, aren't you the creative one?

mugglemomof3
September 4th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Spidermom!!!!!! Such beautiful waves! and what a cool experiment?!!! I love the color you got after doing it twice. wow Wow WOW!! I'm definitely keeping up with these threads of yours. Thanks for sharing. :D

spidermom
September 4th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I had to do an unscheduled CO yesterday as I noticed that some of those ends were sticking together like glue. I guess rinsing out that cooked down, thick blackberry stuff wasn't enough. Only a very subtle color remains after CO. I can't see it unless I lift my ends to compare against the natural color. I tried taking a picture of it, but my camera didn't capture much of a difference.

To be continued; got to go blackberry-picking first.

Katze
September 4th, 2008, 05:20 PM
really interesting!

I remember trying to tone down bleached hair with blueberries when I was in high school - something I read in a beauty magazine no doubt - and getting no results. Perhaps the difference here is that your berries are concentrated?

Unfortunately the German blackberry season will probably be long gone when I get back next weekend. BF is a fruit-hater, so any time we are out biking and see berries he won't let me stop, meaning I have to buy them at the market, grrrrr. SO cooking down lots of fruit probably isn't an option for me, with blackberries at 5euro a liter...

As far as henna, all I know is that food coloring doesn't do anything to henna stains on skin. Years and years ago, when I was still a contributor to the henna page, all kinds of products came out called "colored henna" - most of which were just food coloring, with or without henna - and their ability at staining keratin (skin) was pretty poor. Maybe 1-3 days of a faint color that faded fast.

I suspect that the reason foods (berries, beets, walnuts, etc) aren't used more often for hair or skin dye is just this reason - they aren't good at staining keratin. They do work on textiles, but I kind of doubt their ability to to much with hair or skin.

Still, with all the berries Spidermom has at her disposal, it is a worthwhile and fascinating experiment!

spidermom
September 4th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Thanks Katze, it's been fun. The first trial hasn't lasted long. After one CO, I have the faintest hint of violet still. I'm sure after one shampoo, that will be gone. But the berries are still coming on, so...........

Aren't there any berries where you are right now? We've got them coming in by the bushel (if I cared to pick that many).

By the way, you could pick up something like Manic Panic deposit-only color to try on your ends. Instead of trying to match them, maybe pick a fun color that isn't too outrageous; I know you work in academia.

skay
September 5th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Just wanted to chime in and say the color in your first post is really pretty!

If you ever did the whole head, I wouldn't be surprised that, in addition to getting a nice shade overall, is that you'd be giving your hair/scalp some extra vitamin power! :)

Islandgrrl
September 5th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Spidermom....interesting experiment with really nice results. I can't wait to see the next phase!

RavennaNight
September 5th, 2008, 04:25 PM
That is an awesome color, Spidermom! And I like the ideas about adding it to the henna.

heatherainsley
September 5th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I cant wait for the next phase will have to keep an on this thread.

Shanarana
September 5th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Spidermom - Good on you for daring to go where ..... darn how does that Star Trek thing go. Oh well good on you. It looks great. I love that colour. Can't wait to see more.

To boldly go where no LHCer has gone before. ;)

WURW
September 7th, 2008, 09:18 AM
To boldly go where no LHCer has gone before. ;)

That's it, thanks.:cheese:

redbark
September 7th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Spidermom,

Eagerly awaiting the next phase :)

easternsunrise
September 8th, 2008, 12:24 AM
very cool experiment...awaiting Part III...lol.:eyebrows:

mellie
September 11th, 2008, 06:30 PM
It's a really pretty color! I'm eagerly awaiting the next phase too!

spidermom
September 11th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Tomorrow maybe (day off from transcription), if nothing comes up to prevent me from picking blackberries.

tiny_teesha
September 13th, 2008, 07:03 AM
spidermom- it looks kind of pinkish to me...and your hair so sooo beautiful!!

Elistariel
January 11th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I can't see the photos.

talecon
January 11th, 2009, 07:32 AM
:( me neither

~GypsyCurls~
January 11th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I know I wanna see the photos! I love purple :P