PDA

View Full Version : Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab Hair glosses?

Bronzepikzi
July 26th, 2013, 06:38 PM
I've seen these mentioned in a few "I want..." threads, but not from anyone who's used them. Anyone here have any experience with these? They sound kinda awesome from the website, but I'd like to know how well they've worked on others before I order one to try on my hair. Here is the link: http://blackphoenixtradingpost.com/category/hair-gloss/

battles
July 26th, 2013, 07:06 PM
There are reviews here (http://www.bpal.org/topic/74735-bptp-hair-glosses/page__st__775) on bpal.org, but I'm one of those "want but haven't tried" people. :p I'd be hunting down a sample if I didn't use shampoo bars.

I do know that both Snake Oil and Morocco smell lovely, but I haven't smelled any of the others.

Kaelee
July 26th, 2013, 10:25 PM
I haven't tried that one, but when I was a teenager I used a silicone shine spray...it was kind of like Armorall for your head. :p It smelled amazing, and the overspray created a serious slip hazard on the floor, I remember. I also don't think it did such a good job on my hair, made it greasy and stick together- but as a teenager, I thought it was amazing! (It WAS the 90's after all...) :p

Bronzepikzi
July 27th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Ooo, battles, thank you!

Kaelee, I can imagine. I had that problem with the leave-in conditioner I was using a while back. Smelled awesome, but my aim sucked and my bathroom floor became a bit hazardous to navigate, lol.

Bronzepikzi
July 27th, 2013, 06:21 PM
Okay, so I just ordered the coconut, vanilla bean, and tiare one. I'll let you guys know how it works! Although, I also spent some time meandering around the bpal site, I think a perfume oil may be headed my way as well, but there are sooo many to choose from. Decisions, decisions.

Kaelee
July 27th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Okay, so I just ordered the coconut, vanilla bean, and tiare one. I'll let you guys know how it works! Although, I also spent some time meandering around the bpal site, I think a perfume oil may be headed my way as well, but there are sooo many to choose from. Decisions, decisions.

Wow, that's a lot! :p I don't know if I would even use one bottle up in 6 months (they say it has a 6 month shelf life) let alone 3!

battles
July 27th, 2013, 06:59 PM

Let us know how you like the hair gloss!

Before diving into 5ml bottles, trying out an imp pack or two may be a good idea. You can choose six scents to sample to get an idea of what you may like rather than springing for a bottle you might not like.

Also, there's a BPAL thread in the health and body section. :)

Avaya
July 29th, 2013, 10:22 AM
I ordered the White Tea & Sage scent. I can't wait to get this and try it out! :cheese:

Bronzepikzi
July 29th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Will definitely keep you guys updated!
...Ordered some imps, too <-- that sounds linda off, lol.

Avaya, let me know how you like it!

Bronzepikzi
July 29th, 2013, 02:29 PM
*kinda, not sure how to edit last post.

truepeacenik
July 29th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Twenty three posts and a major enabling...Bronzpikzi, that is probably a record. Well done.

Avaya
August 5th, 2013, 07:33 PM
My gloss came in the mail today and I have to say I am very pleased! I sprayed some in my towel dried hair and then a bit more once dried and my hair feels like silk and smells like fresh lemons and green tea. I hope this continues to be amazing for me, this could become a HG product! :cheer:

Animae
August 5th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Wow, that's a lot! :p I don't know if I would even use one bottle up in 6 months (they say it has a 6 month shelf life) let alone 3!

I've had two decants of the honey and the SO from when they were first available, 2 years now maybe, and they are still good!

Avaya
August 6th, 2013, 09:11 AM
I've had two decants of the honey and the SO from when they were first available, 2 years now maybe, and they are still good!

Do you still use them and like them Animae? I'm wondering because I just started using mine and love it but I'm curious if it will continue to be as great on my hair in two years as it is now? :)

Avaya
August 6th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Oops! Double post.

Avaya
August 11th, 2013, 01:58 PM
I'm still loving the gloss I bought and have used it every day without any build up. I just ordered the Juniper Mint scent for the upcoming cooler months. This is indeed looking like a HG for me! :crush:

bunnylake
August 11th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Does the scent linger? Is this okay for fine hair that is easily weighed down?

Animae
August 11th, 2013, 06:12 PM
What I do is, when my hair is wet, I spray about two or three squirts in my hand and I rub them together then I work from the bottom up and run my fingers through my hair, then comb it through.

Avaya
August 11th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Does the scent linger? Is this okay for fine hair that is easily weighed down?

I don't find the scent to linger, but I bought the White Tea and Sage and I believe it's the lightest of the fragrances. I heard Snake Oil lasts forever, so it really depends on the scent you buy. This oil is really light and non greasy, so I don't think it will weigh fine hair down. Maybe someone with fine hair can chime in; I have medium hair. :blossom:

What I do is, when my hair is wet, I spray about two or three squirts in my hand and I rub them together then I work from the bottom up and run my fingers through my hair, then comb it through.

This is what I do too. I also add a few squirts to my hair once dry and it works great. I can run my fingers through my hair like butter it's so silky, I really love this stuff! :heartbeat

1953Diygal
August 27th, 2013, 11:15 PM
I've had the Snake Oil hair gloss for about a year. Not only do I use it on my hair but I use it on my body as well. For the size of the hair gloss bottles it's more cost-effective than the .5 ml bottles...at least IMO. Snake Oil is my signature scent and, yes, the smell does last forever.

battles
August 28th, 2013, 06:11 PM
I think that if Mid Orgies comes back as GC, I'll end up buying a bottle. None of the others are really screaming my name, and DBF mentioned Mid Orgies when I asked if any looked interesting.. :p

battles
December 29th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Finally placed an order for hair gloss. :) I'm so excited to try it.

Hair Loosened and Soiled in Mid Orgies: White honey, warm musk, and ambrette seed.

bunnylake
December 29th, 2013, 04:38 PM
I might have to get one of these after my Dermorganic leave-in runs out. If the scent really lingers it'll be worth it for me... like a perfume and hair gloss in one. $30 is a bit much to spend on a hair product IMO. Is it worth the price?

truepeacenik
December 30th, 2013, 01:38 PM

It is one scent: coconut, vanilla and tiare.

battles
December 31st, 2013, 11:49 AM
I might have to get one of these after my Dermorganic leave-in runs out. If the scent really lingers it'll be worth it for me... like a perfume and hair gloss in one. $30 is a bit much to spend on a hair product IMO. Is it worth the price?

It really depends on which scent you get. Some of them are stronger than others and last longer. I know Snake Oil is one of the strongest and some people have reported it lasting days.. I can't give a first hand experience because I haven't received mine yet, but here (http://www.bpal.org/forum/193-hair/) is the review section for hair glosses. HTH. :)

battles
January 10th, 2014, 04:20 PM
I just got mine today. I washed and then did two sprays on on my hands and then fingercombed to cover all of my hair and let airdry. The scent on this one isn't overwhelming, but I get random whiffs of it when I turn my head. This scent is nice, but I think I do prefer Dorian. My hair is really silky and shiny looking and not greasy in the slightest. I love that I have no tangles right now. :p

Arashi
January 10th, 2014, 05:24 PM
I just got one today too, in the Morocco scent.

My first impression: wow, this scent is divine. I will most definitely be getting a regular vial of this scent. As well as try some other scents, as this is my first experience with BPAL.

As for the effect on my hair, I will have to get back on that as I have only rubbed it along the length of my braids (which I can't stop sniffing).

Gabriel
January 10th, 2014, 06:35 PM
I've ordered a bottle of this gloss for myself in the Frankincense Clove scent. I'm excited to try it and will post a review. There were a few more scents I'd be interested in trying but I went with clove, it's my favorite note.

battles
January 10th, 2014, 06:42 PM
I just got one today too, in the Morocco scent.

My first impression: wow, this scent is divine. I will most definitely be getting a regular vial of this scent. As well as try some other scents, as this is my first experience with BPAL.

As for the effect on my hair, I will have to get back on that as I have only rubbed it along the length of my braids (which I can't stop sniffing).

Morocco is awesome. I'm glad you like it! :D If you need any help picking samples, the bpal.org forum recommendations section is really useful.

Eliska
January 10th, 2014, 10:23 PM
Welcome to the dark side...:toast:

My perfume collection has its own spreadsheet, and I have no plans to downsize. :)

I really need to get around to trying the hair glosses, but I don't think I'd use it frequently enough to use it all up. Maybe I'll see if there are any decants available over on the BPAL forum.

Gabriel
January 25th, 2014, 08:04 AM
My Frankincense Clove Hair Gloss arrived!

It came with the three linen/room sprays I also requested and two BPAL samples as free gifts which was very nice.

I've tried it on my wet hair last evening for the first time. I did a regular full wash/condition and gently towel dried and applied some oil to my ends as usual. I gently shook the Hair Gloss bottle in case it needed to have things distributed inside it. It took a bit to get the spray primed, but eventually it worked just fine and the mist was very fine. I sprayed one spray in the palm of my hand and rubbed my palms together and spread it on my length and ends.

The mist was a light mist and was not very oily . It was almost a dry mist and felt like it would evaporate quickly, so I worked it into my hair fast. I probably could have used more but since it's something new I'd rather use less than end up with an oil slick mess. It really helped detangle my hair, which was a great surprise. There were still tangles but they were much easier to work through.

The smell is strong at first, very resin and incense with some vanilla to me. Somehow smokey but also clear, not dusty church feeling, but open air feeling. It does soften and ease a lot though. Lingering on my skin, and hair it does this memory thing to me, it reminds me of someone I've met and can't remember, hugging me, and catching the perfume or cologne he/she was wearing in that briefest moment. It has that kind idea, of how some rare people don't seem to douse themselves in the latest "scent of the season" but have a signature scent that you only notice if you're in their space.

Okay, so I love the smell! It is great for detangling when wet so far! I'll have to see how I get along with it after a few months.

Alaska98
May 2nd, 2015, 06:48 PM
I know this is an older thread, but I really want to try the hair gloss. I'm hesitant because I don't use cones, and I don't know what it'll do to my hair. And I like my current routine. Should I go for it?

Kitten1030
May 2nd, 2015, 07:01 PM
I was just meh about them. Nothing life changing and I have migraines so I did not like having all the scent that close to my face and not being able to get away from it. I would just splurge on a scent and if you want, put a little in your hair. The silicone spray part was like any other glossing silicone spray. Just my honest opinion. The one I had did smell awesome.

schnibbles
May 2nd, 2015, 07:12 PM
If you're wanting to just try it and not have to buy a whole bottle, you could probably check the bpal madness swap board for a decant (sample)

I concur with Kitten, though... you could just get one of their regular perfume oils and add it in to your regular routine. Maybe scent your favorite hair oil (like coconut, olive or whatever you use?)

Alaska98
May 2nd, 2015, 08:05 PM
I was mostly interested because they're in a spray, I guess, even though it looks like most people spray into their hands. I've not been using my regular oils "just in case" because there is no ingredient list, and I'm currently pregnant. I figured if I just sprayed my ends I could avoid skin contact. Maybe I'd be better off with a scent locket.

Alaska98
May 29th, 2015, 05:48 PM
This may not be the right forum, but I'm asking anyway.

I got in a hair gloss decant. Tried it. Really didn't do anything that I could tell, but my hair stayed scented all week. I bought another of a different scent. This new one makes my hair sticky feeling and leaves the ends looking kind of stringy (but I LOVE the scent). I used both in the same manner, so what gives? Did I maybe get a contaminated decant? Would the different perfume oils have different effects?

-Fern
May 29th, 2015, 09:05 PM
This may not be the right forum, but I'm asking anyway.

I got in a hair gloss decant. Tried it. Really didn't do anything that I could tell, but my hair stayed scented all week. I bought another of a different scent. This new one makes my hair sticky feeling and leaves the ends looking kind of stringy (but I LOVE the scent). I used both in the same manner, so what gives? Did I maybe get a contaminated decant? Would the different perfume oils have different effects?

It's possible that the different oils just behave differently... I have some of the regular perfume oils that are slightly sticky or tacky to the touch after I apply them (which always struck me as weird, but then you have some of the dragon's blood blends that are soooo thick and viscous, and other blends that are very watery, and some that linger, and some that evaporate... :shrug:)