PDA

View Full Version : Morrocco's Lunar Haircutting Charts

sapphire-o
August 28th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Does anyone use that chart to trim their hair? What do you think about it? I figured it can't hurt to try, eh? What does "root work" mean? If I want to reduce shedding, do I go for "root work" or "thicken"? :)

Oh here's the link: http://www.morroccomethod.com/lunar.shtml

Haith
August 28th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Hmmm...

Well, I don't really understand how cutting your hair on one day opposed to another could thicken it or beautify it, or cause it to behave differently. But, people have believed it can for a long time; in the Farmer's Almanac, there's a hair cutting chart modelled after moon cycles. There's no way it could hurt, though! I'd say give it a try. I may as well.

Fencai
August 28th, 2008, 06:32 AM
that's pretty cool! What can it hurt? I'll give it a try.
I know that there are many people (myself included) that follow the lunar/solar phases for the rest of their daily lives. What can it hurt to add one more?

chelles2kids
August 28th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Sapphire-O, I have used the Morrocan cutting chart, but I did not notice any change.
(The days that I trimmed were on the "lengthening" days.)

But if you need a trim, you could definately go ahead and use one of those days.

As far as the "root work" days, I always understood that to mean if you were wanting to thicken your roots, in case you've had some thinning going on.

Michelle

lora410
August 28th, 2008, 07:47 AM
I did it once on a trim hair for length day. Needless to say it didn't work. Unless it takes a few months, because I started growing like nuts when summer hit. I chalk that up to the hot weather though

Dee 08
August 28th, 2008, 07:47 AM
That is really cool.

harley mama
August 28th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Does anyone use that chart to trim their hair? What do you think about it? I figured it can't hurt to try, eh? What does "root work" mean? If I want to reduce shedding, do I go for "root work" or "thicken"? :)

Oh here's the link: http://www.morroccomethod.com/lunar.shtml

sapphire-o, thanks for posting this link. I am long overdue for a trim and I think I may follow this chart and see if it helps with my thinning.
I will be watching the thread to see if you got a response to your question regarding "root work".

Good luck.

annarose
August 28th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Even if it doesn't work it helps stop the impulse cutting, you have to wait for a certain day or risk cutting on a retarding day :blueeek:! Nobody wants that!

vampodrama
August 28th, 2008, 09:12 AM
in my country there's the belief that if you want your hair to grow fast, trim it in waxing moon. if you want your hair to grow slow, trim in waning moon. old wives' tale, sorta, but everyone I know follows that :D

DragonLady
August 28th, 2008, 10:28 AM
My hairdresser swears by this. She's been in the business for over 20 years, and is adamant that she sees a difference for her long term clients that follow it vs those who don't. I indulge her, as it makes her so happy. :)

spidermom
August 28th, 2008, 10:31 AM
in my country there's the belief that if you want your hair to grow fast, trim it in waxing moon. if you want your hair to grow slow, trim in waning moon. old wives' tale, sorta, but everyone I know follows that :D

That's the same thing that my relatives in Alabama would say.

RoseRedDead
August 28th, 2008, 11:02 AM
This smacks of old wives' tales and mysticism to me... but hey, you can't knock it 'til you try it. I might just use this next time I get a trim. I'd seen this before but had forgotten.

Thanks for posting this, sapphire-o.

EmmaRose
August 28th, 2008, 12:19 PM
It sounds like utter nonsense to me. But hey, it certainly can't hurt. Let us know what results you get.

Blueglass
August 28th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Surely it can't be harmful, and it certainly helps you to keep up with regular trims.

JessTheMess
August 28th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Surely it can't be harmful, and it certainly helps you to keep up with regular trims.
mini hijack** I love your siggy Bluglass... I could never braid my hair to look that nice.

As for the trimming guide... eh what could it hurt to try. I think it is neat :) Thanks for the link:D

saman
August 28th, 2008, 02:38 PM
that's cool.I'll give it a try.thanks for the link.

RavennaNight
August 28th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Hmmm... I always thought the moon's phases effect the human body. Ask a cop: "Do the loonies really come out on the full moon?" and they tell you yes. It can't hurt to try it. I wonder if the other planets mean anything to it as well? Then we're going into astrology... I pay mind to the lunar and planetary movements. It can't hurt thanks for the link!

Actually cutting on the waxing moon would probably make sense. The gravitational pull on water increases towards the full moon (waxing). So maybe it effects the body chemistry. Theory: You cut, hair weighs less on head. Weight=gravitational pull. Moon pulls water in our bodies up, like the tides. The chemical reaction which is hair growth which is the production of more hair follicle may be affected. Someone with more expertise please correct me if Im going waaaaay out on a limb here.

Robinlyn
August 28th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I agree with Lora. My hair grows best in summer. It's interesting though.....

AmandaPanda
August 28th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I have used it for a couple of years. I usually go by the red dates. I trim 2-4 times a year.

I did get an increase in growth (by approx. .25"-.5" more than average) a few times, within the same month or two.
I have also been measuring monthly for a few years (with a gap of about a year), and about 95% of the time I get .5" of growth each month, rarely less, never more UNLESS I have recently trimmed on one of those dates for lengthening. Coincidence?

DragonLady
August 28th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Hmmm... I always thought the moon's phases effect the human body. Ask a cop: "Do the loonies really come out on the full moon?" and they tell you yes. It can't hurt to try it. I wonder if the other planets mean anything to it as well? Then we're going into astrology... I pay mind to the lunar and planetary movements. It can't hurt thanks for the link!

Actually cutting on the waxing moon would probably make sense. The gravitational pull on water increases towards the full moon (waxing). So maybe it effects the body chemistry. Theory: You cut, hair weighs less on head. Weight=gravitational pull. Moon pulls water in our bodies up, like the tides. The chemical reaction which is hair growth which is the production of more hair follicle may be affected. Someone with more expertise please correct me if Im going waaaaay out on a limb here.

I can't 100% say you're wrong, but.... Remember, the liquids in your body aren't not just sloshing 'round willy-nilly. They're contained in the vessicles and directed by your heart and other organs.

Still...following the cycle certainly can't harm anything, and just may help over the long term, for reasons no one may be able to completely explain for many years.

RoseRedDead
August 28th, 2008, 08:56 PM
What you pointed out, RavennaNight, is quit interesting. Heck, I think I'll use this the next time I trim.

crystal_89
August 29th, 2008, 01:21 AM
I think it works for me because, as someone else has said, it stops impulse cutting. I pick one date a month or a season to cut my hair, marking it on my calendar, and then when that day comes around I get too lazy to trim my hair and then 'have' to wait for the next marked day to trim... :D

vampodrama
August 29th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Hmmm... I always thought the moon's phases effect the human body. Ask a cop: "Do the loonies really come out on the full moon?" and they tell you yes.

I personally do not keep an eye on moon phases, but I can generally guess when the full moon is. not only does my cat get extra crazy, I also tend to go way off my rocker for some reason. so usually when I feel a bit too insane I check the calendar and it's full moon. I don't know why it effects me so. I get irrational and plain out insane.