PDA

View Full Version : How much Manic Panic do you need for 30" of ii/iii hair?

anitacs9101
March 28th, 2013, 01:49 PM
I'm dying my hair tonight and I bought 2 jars of Manic Panic in Vampire Red. I was wondering, is this enough for 30" of ii/iii hair? Or should I stop by sally's and get more?

I emailed them, and they said for thick waist length hair I'd need 4-5 jars. However, on their website they show a picture of a girl (go to the shade list (http://www.manicpanic.com/classiccreamformula.html) and click vampire red, and keep clicking the arrow until you reach the girl named Gema) who has hair down to her butt and they call it "waist length." So I'm wondering if they have the right idea of how long my hair really is :p

You can click the timeline link in my sig for recent pics of my hair.

So what do you guys think?

MidnightMoon
March 28th, 2013, 02:10 PM
I have fine hair (although a decent amount of it), ~hip lengt...I bought 2 jars...and ended up using about 2/3 of one, and I put A LOT of it. I guess I thought it would be more dense or heavy, like conditioner or something, but it's more liquid, and it's not like it gets absorbed by the hair, or dries like a regular box dye.

Lunadriael
March 28th, 2013, 02:11 PM
I manic panicked my MBL, fine, medium thickness hair with a bit under half a jar of manic panic amplified vampire red formula the other day, so depending on how wasteful you are I don't see why 2 jars can't do all of your waist length hair in one shot, unless you have the thickness of a yeti. (Doesn't look like it from your siggy). 5 jars seems kind of excessive to me? Maybe I didn't do mine quite right, but I don't see any gaps. Worst thing is to run out mid dye, but this stuff gets everywhere, it's like a nightmare, so I think you'll have more of it rather than less. Really can't imagine needing 5 jars unless you had much longer hair, say mid-thigh or something. :/

anitacs9101
March 28th, 2013, 02:23 PM
I have fine hair (although a decent amount of it), ~hip lengt...I bought 2 jars...and ended up using about 2/3 of one, and I put A LOT of it. I guess I thought it would be more dense or heavy, like conditioner or something, but it's more liquid, and it's not like it gets absorbed by the hair, or dries like a regular box dye.

Ah, good to know!

I manic panicked my MBL, fine, medium thickness hair with a bit under half a jar of manic panic amplified vampire red formula the other day, so depending on how wasteful you are I don't see why 2 jars can't do all of your waist length hair in one shot, unless you have the thickness of a yeti. (Doesn't look like it from your siggy). 5 jars seems kind of excessive to me? Maybe I didn't do mine quite right, but I don't see any gaps. Worst thing is to run out mid dye, but this stuff gets everywhere, it's like a nightmare, so I think you'll have more of it rather than less. Really can't imagine needing 5 jars unless you had much longer hair, say mid-thigh or something. :/

Yeah, 5 jars seemed VERY excessive...but it just made me nervous since it was so far off from my original estimation that I would only need 2 :P

Vanille_
March 28th, 2013, 02:23 PM
I'd buy three. I need 2 bottles and I'm hip/ii hair. I want to say I'm around 32 inches.

Long_hair_bear
March 28th, 2013, 02:33 PM
I used one on my almost waist length, 30" ii hair. Had to take the unused one back to sallys. I put it on thick too!

anitacs9101
March 28th, 2013, 07:44 PM
I'd buy three. I need 2 bottles and I'm hip/ii hair. I want to say I'm around 32 inches.

Followed your advice and got another bottle. I've seen some of your red hair pics I think, I hope my results are as beautiful!

I used one on my almost waist length, 30" ii hair. Had to take the unused one back to sallys. I put it on thick too!

Maybe I'll get away with one haha!

Dying now, hoping it turns out good!!

SwordWomanRiona
March 28th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Looking forward to seeing your results :)! I'm considering Vampire Red, too (or maybe orange). I guess that with mid-thigh length hair I'd need at least two jars...or maybe not, my hair's very fine.

WilfredAllen
March 28th, 2013, 08:06 PM
I don't know, but I'm excited to see your results!!

Soraine
March 28th, 2013, 09:37 PM
I only need about half a pot of Vampire Red for my tailbone length hair. Granted, I have pretty thin hair and I diluted it with conditioner till it turns sort of a bright tomato red. I find that doing this doesn't stain my bathroom like a murder scene as much and the colour payoff is pretty much a bright red. It also doesn't rub off which is good considering I once used blue manic panic undiluted and it rubbed off on everything! It really depends on how dark you want your hair to turn out, if you want it bright red then diluting it would save you loads of money and it still stains hair the same way.

P.S: I have had my hair bleach bathed so I'm not sure if it would still have the same effect on virgin hair.

Calaelen
March 28th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Looking forward to seeing your results :)! I'm considering Vampire Red, too (or maybe orange). I guess that with mid-thigh length hair I'd need at least two jars...or maybe not, my hair's very fine.

So funny to see you're considering vampire red! I saw the pic OP linked too and looked for the lady with classic length hair, I immediately thought of you, and how stunning it would look in your hair. I was going to pm you about it, then saw this..lol. If you want noticeable results I definitely recommend vampire red over the orange, I think the orange would be very subtle, if it even showed any change.

Kome
March 28th, 2013, 09:52 PM
I find that most companies tell you to buy WAAAAAAAY more than you actually need. It's annoying and it feels like a lie. I think only someone with super thick hair would need that much... MAYBE. One should be plenty in my opinion.

Also, I have done this color and it is my absolute favorite!!! It bleeds a lot though. Don't use white towels or make sure to use old towels when you shower. It will drip too.

~honeyflower~
March 28th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Cant wait to see!

ghost
March 29th, 2013, 12:22 AM
I only ever needed one jar when I used Manic Panic, maybeone and a half if I was applying it really thickly, and that was when my hair was TBL.

anitacs9101
March 29th, 2013, 12:24 AM
I finished dying!! I ended up using the first jar and about 3/4 of the second jar. It was a lot harder than using traditional hair dye. The dye is more messy. It was more like straight up food coloring :P Anything it got on I had to wipe it right away to make sure it didn't stain. Also, it said to comb it through until it turned frothy. This was WAYY hard because this dye made my hair SO hard to comb through. I was having flashbacks of when I tried horse shampoo and had major protein overload :shudder: I did comb from below my ear, and it did turn a little frothy, but I wasn't even going to try combing from my scalp xD

Next time I'll remember to 1. use more vaseline, because my whole neck is pink 2. wear a long-sleeve shirt and 3. put newspaper EVERYWHERE ;)

I saran-wrapped my head and I'm going to :sleep: in it. I was gonna rinse in the kitchen sink, but after seeing how messy this is and considering our kitchen was just remodeled, I'm gonna do it outside xD

Cool!! But like Calaelen said Vampire Red might be a better option, on the website somewhere they say which shades will show up well and any other shade will just be a very slight tint. I originally got Pillarbox Red but the person I emailed advised I exchange it for Vampire Red. Also if you have a Sally's near you, they are good about returns and exchanges so if you buy more jars than you need you can just take them back. Or keep them for the next time around :)

I only need about half a pot of Vampire Red for my tailbone length hair. Granted, I have pretty thin hair and I diluted it with conditioner till it turns sort of a bright tomato red. I find that doing this doesn't stain my bathroom like a murder scene as much and the colour payoff is pretty much a bright red. It also doesn't rub off which is good considering I once used blue manic panic undiluted and it rubbed off on everything! It really depends on how dark you want your hair to turn out, if you want it bright red then diluting it would save you loads of money and it still stains hair the same way.

P.S: I have had my hair bleach bathed so I'm not sure if it would still have the same effect on virgin hair.

I'll definitely consider that. This stuff got EVERYWHERE when I was dying! I took this picture of my arm and my cousin thought my cat had attacked me:

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/OMGPwnies101/murder.png

I find that most companies tell you to buy WAAAAAAAY more than you actually need. It's annoying and it feels like a lie. I think only someone with super thick hair would need that much... MAYBE. One should be plenty in my opinion.

Also, I have done this color and it is my absolute favorite!!! It bleeds a lot though. Don't use white towels or make sure to use old towels when you shower. It will drip too.

I wasn't sure if this was the case, or if by waist-length they thought I meant to my belly button or something. But 5 jars? Really? xD

And haha, I've one too many bad experiences with staining my mom's brand new bathroom towels to make that mistake again xD

Soraine
March 29th, 2013, 08:50 AM
I can't wait to see what it looks like! :) Oh, another thing I do to avoid the 'I just slashed myself' look is to put the dye on upside down. Seems to make it easier to smush in and avoid long hanging strands of stained hair.

Vanille_
March 29th, 2013, 09:21 AM
I find that doing this doesn't stain my bathroom like a murder scene.

DH calls this the Dexter Room.

ETA: There is wrapping paper turned backwards lining my walls and door surrounding the area. The hand prints are on the paper, not the wall!
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/Misc/DSC015941-1.jpg
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/Misc/DSC016001-1.jpg

Vanille_
March 29th, 2013, 09:32 AM
I can't wait to see the color. I wish I had posted my routine... I didn't even think about it. Just in case you are curious this is how I do it:

1. I clarify my hair using the VO2 green bottles. I've tried not using conditioner and using conditioner. I suggest using conditioner, it really didn't effect the color at all for me but it did make combing through my hair easier.
2. I usually apply the next day.
3. I put either newspaper or wrapping paper all over my floor, counters, toilet, and walls.
4. I put vasalein on my neck and hair line and on my arms.
5. I hope I can describe this right: I put all my hair up with a clip except the section at the bottom by the neck. I part that in two ways and do each one over each shoulder. I clip that and pull the next layer right above that. I keep doing that until I get to the crown at which point I just usually do section by section around my head. Then I put on extra all over.
6. I put a shower cap on. Sometimes I apply some heat, but just a little.
7. I let sit for four hours.
8. I rinse. Now.. I really need to work on this one. I just accept that my shower will look like a crime scene for a few weeks. Over time, if I keep scrubbing at it, it will fade. However, my hair will bleed for around a month.

When I know my hair is still bleeding, I make sure not to wash my hair before bed so I don't mess up the pillow cases. Also when I wash my hair, I let it dry while wearing a shirt I don't care about. Watch out for dripping hair, it will get on your floors and counters. I make sure to ring my hair out good in the shower and wrap my hair before I get out of the shower. As I put my hair down from the towel, I part it in two (like pigtails) and gently sqeeze each section with the towel until it's not dripping anymore.

As for cleaning up the mess, I find those magic erasers work great. To get it off my skin, I use nail polish remover, alcohol, or witch hazel. I also accept that my scalp will be really dark red for a few days. Again, this is just the price I pay for my favorite color.

Oh and I don't wash it for as long as I can stand it (after the first rinse).

ETA: Just for giggles, I'm going to share my traveling stories. I've been in a couple of situations where I'm in a hotel while my hair is still bleeding. In an effort to hide the damage I've done two things: Once, I only showered at the spa/gym. Their towels get thrown into a bin in the locker room. If I shower in the room, I will wait until maid service is on my floor, wrap the towels up, and take them and put them in their cart and grab new ones or ask for new ones (if they are there). I would not suggest coloring your hair if you know you are going somewhere in the next couple of weeks. The hotel with the gym saved me because I would have stained their shower if I had used the one in the room. The gym had these spa like showers filled with dark blue rocks so it didn't show. After a few weeks, it will get to where you can actually wash the red off the shower.

anitacs9101
March 29th, 2013, 10:18 AM
I can't wait to see the color. I wish I had posted my routine... I didn't even think about it. Just in case you are curious this is how I do it:

1. I clarify my hair using the VO2 green bottles. I've tried not using conditioner and using conditioner. I suggest using conditioner, it really didn't effect the color at all for me but it did make combing through my hair easier.
2. I usually apply the next day.
3. I put either newspaper or wrapping paper all over my floor, counters, toilet, and walls.
4. I put vasalein on my neck and hair line and on my arms.
5. I hope I can describe this right: I put all my hair up with a clip except the section at the bottom by the neck. I part that in two ways and do each one over each shoulder. I clip that and pull the next layer right above that. I keep doing that until I get to the crown at which point I just usually do section by section around my head. Then I put on extra all over.
6. I put a shower cap on. Sometimes I apply some heat, but just a little.
7. I let sit for four hours.
8. I rinse. Now.. I really need to work on this one. I just accept that my shower will look like a crime scene for a few weeks. Over time, if I keep scrubbing at it, it will fade. However, my hair will bleed for around a month.

When I know my hair is still bleeding, I make sure not to wash my hair before bed so I don't mess up the pillow cases. Also when I wash my hair, I let it dry while wearing a shirt I don't care about. Watch out for dripping hair, it will get on your floors and counters. I make sure to ring my hair out good in the shower and wrap my hair before I get out of the shower. As I put my hair down from the towel, I part it in two (like pigtails) and gently sqeeze each section with the towel until it's not dripping anymore.

As for cleaning up the mess, I find those magic erasers work great. To get it off my skin, I use nail polish remover, alcohol, or witch hazel. I also accept that my scalp will be really dark red for a few days. Again, this is just the price I pay for my favorite color.

Oh and I don't wash it for as long as I can stand it (after the first rinse).

ETA: Just for giggles, I'm going to share my traveling stories. I've been in a couple of situations where I'm in a hotel while my hair is still bleeding. In an effort to hide the damage I've done two things: Once, I only showered at the spa/gym. Their towels get thrown into a bin in the locker room. If I shower in the room, I will wait until maid service is on my floor, wrap the towels up, and take them and put them in their cart and grab new ones or ask for new ones (if they are there). I would not suggest coloring your hair if you know you are going somewhere in the next couple of weeks. The hotel with the gym saved me because I would have stained their shower if I had used the one in the room. The gym had these spa like showers filled with dark blue rocks so it didn't show. After a few weeks, it will get to where you can actually wash the red off the shower.

I did almost the same thing! Except less vaseline and no wrapping paper. That's smart, I need to remember that next time. I LOVE magic erasers, they get everything out xD I used them to clean the bathroom afterwards.

Eek, the shower thing makes me nervous. Is it really bad? I haven't rinsed yet, but the idea of doing it outside is sounding less and less appealing.

Vanille_
March 29th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Yes, it's really bad. I've considered rinsing my hair in the yard with a hose. At least for the material of my shower, it will stain so bad that it won't come out at first. Over time, it will fade and eventually clear up.

leslissocool
March 29th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Subscribing :popcorn: I want to see the results! I've only used green manic panic. I used pravana last year to get the blue-black hair and the stain in my bathroom looked like I killed a smurf...

anitacs9101
March 29th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Sort-of finished rinsing! It was a HUGE pain!! I was outside at first, sitting on a chair and leaning back over my porch railing while my sister rinsed my hair. We were at it for like 15 minutes but my back hurt too much and the water was FREEZING. So we went inside and I leaning back in the tub instead with slightly warmer water. That hurt my back too so I ended up standing in the shower, leaning over (aghhh my backkkk!) and rinsing for AGES. In total I was rinsing for about 1 1/2 hours and the water was still pink. I gave up, for the sake of my back, and am now in a turbie towel (that is now pink :P ) waiting for it to be a little dryer so I can comb it. I keep having to blot my neck and face because there is so much dye, lol. :blushing:

I have a huge bag of hot pink towels now. xD

It looks really gorgeous though, even though it's not even dry yet. I'm hoping it will still be light out later so I can take pics when it dries.

Yes, it's really bad. I've considered rinsing my hair in the yard with a hose. At least for the material of my shower, it will stain so bad that it won't come out at first. Over time, it will fade and eventually clear up.

My tub must be different. I have one of those bath fitter things so that might be why. I was careful to rub off any dye that splashed and I have a stain free tub :D can't say the same for my face tho xD

By the way, how long does it take you to rinse it out?

Subscribing :popcorn: I want to see the results! I've only used green manic panic. I used pravana last year to get the blue-black hair and the stain in my bathroom looked like I killed a smurf...

hahaha xD

anitacs9101
March 29th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Finally dry :D

Outside with no flash (you can see how the dye took a lot better on my previously dyed hair as opposed to my new growth):

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/OMGPwnies101/Hair/1.jpg

Inside with flash:

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/OMGPwnies101/Hair/indooriphone.jpg

Super happy with the results!! :inlove:

Quixii
March 29th, 2013, 03:37 PM
That looks great anitacs9101! I'm so happy you love it. :)

leslissocool
March 29th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Oh my :crush: I absolutely love it! :cheese: yay I am so happy for you Anita!

Definitively worth the pink towels!

Vanille_
March 29th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Wow wow wow!!! Soooo worth the effort. It looks so beautiful!!!!

I forgot to tell you .. it doesn't all rinse out the first time lol.

MidnightMoon
March 29th, 2013, 07:28 PM
It looks amazing!

anitacs9101
March 29th, 2013, 09:18 PM
That looks great anitacs9101! I'm so happy you love it. :)

Oh my :crush: I absolutely love it! :cheese: yay I am so happy for you Anita!

Definitively worth the pink towels!

It looks amazing!

Thanks everybody!! :flower:

Wow wow wow!!! Soooo worth the effort. It looks so beautiful!!!!

I forgot to tell you .. it doesn't all rinse out the first time lol.

Thanks! And ah, ok. That's good xD

purplehippo
March 29th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Make sure your hair is bleached well and pale so that the color will look better. I'd say to get a third just in case and if not go return it. you wouldn't want to run out of dye in the middle of coloring your hair.

Vanille_
March 29th, 2013, 10:11 PM
I'd say do NOT bleach! The color looks great on even dark hair.

justme
March 29th, 2013, 10:26 PM
It looks great!

I'm wondering how it fades - does it just become less apparent, or does it turn a pinkish or orangish color? (On unbleached hair.)

leslissocool
March 29th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Yeah don't bleach, what you got looks AMAZING!

My hair is too dark to get this :( I don't even get a hue! I'll just live vicariously through yours :p.

MidnightMoon
March 30th, 2013, 12:31 AM
When I applied it on my hair I had about 8 inches of virgin roots and the rest was light-redish brown, similar to OP's actually. The virgin hair came out dark purple as my natural hair is dark brown and the rest came out lighter, similar to OP's result.
After weeks of not applying it again, my roots only seem purple in sunlight/certain light, and the previously dyed part has become more orangey (although the starting colour had some hint of orange), Im guessing that if your starting colour was ash blonde or something it would me more red, just lighter.
^
To make it shorter: On dark unbleached hair it fades without turning into a strange colour. It was evident purple, now it's a bit purple in the sun. Inside or with certain light it looks just brown. :p

Zindell
March 30th, 2013, 03:45 AM

That is an amazing color! Did you get that strong red even without bleaching? How long do you think it stays? I read somewhere that red dye usually fade quick, but maybe it's different with Manic Panic? I don't want to start color my hair, but your new hair color really is tempting me! :p

Zindell
March 30th, 2013, 03:50 AM
DH calls this the Dexter Room.
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/Misc/DSC015941-1.jpg
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/Misc/DSC016001-1.jpg

Hahaa! Excellent name! ;)

Zindell
March 30th, 2013, 03:58 AM
I used pravana last year to get the blue-black hair and the stain in my bathroom looked like I killed a smurf...

lol! That is hilarious! :D

anitacs9101
March 30th, 2013, 10:39 AM
That is an amazing color! Did you get that strong red even without bleaching? How long do you think it stays? I read somewhere that red dye usually fade quick, but maybe it's different with Manic Panic? I don't want to start color my hair, but your new hair color really is tempting me! :p

I didn't bleach but my hair isn't all virgin. From my chin down is all hair that has been dyed, and you can see best in the first photo how that hair brighter. I can't tell as much in real life though, and it's still very vivid all throughout. Red chemical dye fades faster than other colors but I dunno if it's the same case for manic panic colors. I know darker colors fade slower, and Vampire Red is one of those. I only wash once a week so I figured it'd be worth it. :)

Why not go for it? It washes out completely. :D

Vanille_
March 30th, 2013, 10:52 AM
It may wash out completely.... Months later. I've gone months without reapplying and it never seems to go away. I have dark brown hair and it does just fades a bit on the red. Doesn't turn colors. I'll post a pic.

Fresh
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/Hair/DSC018171-1.jpg

Faded. You can see the roots are the first to go. The length color has never fully disappeared on me.
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/Hair/DSC020121-1.jpg

This shows it faded in a bit lower light than the previous one.
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/Hair/DSC027341-1.jpg

Vanille_
March 30th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Btw, OP. You win on color. I wish so bad my hair was a little lighter.

Lunadriael
March 30th, 2013, 11:04 AM
It stayed in my hair for ages and never completely disappeared until I henndigoed over it the last time. Mostly I think the vampire red fades to more of a pinkish colour long term because the base undertones are pink, rather than an orange red like some of the other dyes, and I prefer that, but I would guess it also depends on the colours lurking in your own hair as to what the eventual outcome would be.

Yeah, I forgot to warn about the pillows. If you go to bed with your hair damp, even if you think it's all dripped out already, you still risk staining the pillowcases like I did somewhere I was staying. :/ That's one of the main reasons I think I won't get anymore after I've used up the extra tub I have left. I always seem to get weird bits of it on my scalp when I do it too, which looks kind of odd for one or two days. I did avoid the slashed-arm look with a pair of gloves and careful washing though. I swear this stuff just gets everywhere and bleeds for weeks. :s

I prefer the darker tint on unbleached hair tbh, the red that comes out on blondes is a bit more garish and I like burgundy kind of shades. Personal preference though. I do think it turned out a very nice Ariel kind of colour for the OP. Glad you liked it. :)

Zindell
March 30th, 2013, 11:22 AM
I didn't bleach but my hair isn't all virgin. From my chin down is all hair that has been dyed, and you can see best in the first photo how that hair brighter. I can't tell as much in real life though, and it's still very vivid all throughout. Red chemical dye fades faster than other colors but I dunno if it's the same case for manic panic colors. I know darker colors fade slower, and Vampire Red is one of those. I only wash once a week so I figured it'd be worth it. :)

Why not go for it? It washes out completely. :D

Definately thinking of doing it! :D

HylianGirl
March 30th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Wow, it's sooo preety!! I'm normally not a fan of that shade of red, but it looks so nice on your hair!

SwordWomanRiona
March 30th, 2013, 04:07 PM
So funny to see you're considering vampire red! I saw the pic OP linked too and looked for the lady with classic length hair, I immediately thought of you, and how stunning it would look in your hair. I was going to pm you about it, then saw this..lol. If you want noticeable results I definitely recommend vampire red over the orange, I think the orange would be very subtle, if it even showed any change.

:) I think I'm going for it! I'd like to try dark red, but not in a permanent way. I'm a bit lazy about it, because of the upkeep, but if it's stays on for a month at least, then it'll be worth it :)

SwordWomanRiona
March 30th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Finally dry :D

Outside with no flash (you can see how the dye took a lot better on my previously dyed hair as opposed to my new growth):

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/OMGPwnies101/Hair/1.jpg

Inside with flash:

Super happy with the results!! :inlove:

Wow, that's such a beautiful red :inlove:!! You match your Ariel avatar now :)! I wish I could get that tone, but my hair seems to be darker than yours...

Cool!! But like Calaelen said Vampire Red might be a better option, on the website somewhere they say which shades will show up well and any other shade will just be a very slight tint. I originally got Pillarbox Red but the person I emailed advised I exchange it for Vampire Red. Also if you have a Sally's near you, they are good about returns and exchanges so if you buy more jars than you need you can just take them back. Or keep them for the next time around :)

Yes, orange might now show in my hair...I've just found a store in my area where they have Manic Panic dyes through Google maps, so yay!!

Some of the posters commnenting on the way it fades are scaring me a bit, though...This is supposed to be a vegetable dye that fades away completely....right? I'd like to try burgundy, but not in a henna-like commitment.

HylianGirl
March 30th, 2013, 04:44 PM
After seeing this post I decided to venture on the manic panic website, I'm not gonna try it, since I intend to henna, but I noticed while looking at among the people who tried the vampire red color there is a woman with hair that seems to be a bit longer than classic using it! I can't link directly to the pic, but going to this page http://www.manicpanic.com/classiccreamformula.html and slicking on the vampire red (the third swatch at the bottom line) and going to the fourth person who sent their before and after pics to the site, you can see her.

anitacs9101
March 30th, 2013, 07:46 PM
It may wash out completely.... Months later. I've gone months without reapplying and it never seems to go away. I have dark brown hair and it does just fades a bit on the red. Doesn't turn colors. I'll post a pic.

Fresh

Faded. You can see the roots are the first to go. The length color has never fully disappeared on me.

This shows it faded in a bit lower light than the previous one.

It has to fade eventually though, right?

Btw, OP. You win on color. I wish so bad my hair was a little lighter.

Wow, it's sooo preety!! I'm normally not a fan of that shade of red, but it looks so nice on your hair!

Thanks so much! :flower:

Wow, that's such a beautiful red :inlove:!! You match your Ariel avatar now :)! I wish I could get that tone, but my hair seems to be darker than yours...

Yes, orange might now show in my hair...I've just found a store in my area where they have Manic Panic dyes through Google maps, so yay!!

Some of the posters commnenting on the way it fades are scaring me a bit, though...This is supposed to be a vegetable dye that fades away completely....right? I'd like to try burgundy, but not in a henna-like commitment.

Thanks!! :heart: Ever since I was little I wanted Ariel hair :) That's actually one of the reasons I started growing it out.

There's a girl with dark classic+ length hair who used Vampire Red in the link I posted, like HylianGirl said.

And I'm guessing that as long as you don't need it to be gone by a certain time, it will fade but just might take a while? I dunno :bounce:

SwordWomanRiona
March 31st, 2013, 06:40 AM
As long as it fades away eventually, I'm fine with it staying for as long as it likes :). So, next week, Manic Panic Vampire Red dye job!! *enabler!! :D*

anitacs9101
March 31st, 2013, 06:01 PM
As long as it fades away eventually, I'm fine with it staying for as long as it likes :). So, next week, Manic Panic Vampire Red dye job!! *enabler!! :D*

Yay!! Post pics :)

SwordWomanRiona
April 8th, 2013, 11:03 AM
I have Vampire Red in my hair right now :D! I only needed one jar, my hair may be long but I don't have a lot (which I often wish I had, but in this context, fine :)). The bathroom's Ok, but my hands and neck are bright red :lol:. I don't like to use gloves, I'm afraid.
Still waiting to rinse, but when I finished applying it it already looked very red, wet and all :D!

PolarCathy
April 8th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Okay, where can I get MP in Sweden, anyone?

SwordWomanRiona
April 8th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Sweden sells Manic Panic to Europe online, so they've probably have it irl more or less easily :). I asked google about Manic Panic in my city and found a Gothic themed store (that's where I bought it).

HylianGirl
April 8th, 2013, 01:47 PM
ooh, can't wait to see pictures ^-^ It'll probably look awesome!

Isilme
April 8th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Shock in Stockholm carries Manic Panic:) Whenever I have used a dye like this the amount of colour would be like a dl, mixed with conditioner. There really is no reason to use straight dye I think. And you don't have to comb it trough. But it turned out very well:)

SwordWomanRiona
April 9th, 2013, 05:12 AM
At the end I didn't stain the bathroom as much as I'd feared! Only some pink spots at the sink and the tub came out all right. My hands, hairline and neck are a mess, though :D. I hate using gloves when it comes to dye...

So far I'm loving the colour! It's not an Ariel red like OP's gorgeous shade, but it's a lovely burgundy/dark cherry red. My lower length and ends, the Sun-lightened parts, are much brighter and lighter, bright cool red, a bit like rspberry, against the darker cherry of the top. It's a cool red, and I'm warm-skinned, but it doesn't seem to clash overmuch.

I've only got some pics at flash at night for now, though. I'll see what I can do about it today :).

Ligeia_13
April 10th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Oooh I want to see photos too! Judging by your siggy pics, I have the same colour as you, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out :)