PDA

View Full Version : what essential oils do you use for the fastest growth?

Fluffy01
February 20th, 2013, 02:12 PM
I've been reading up on oil of oregano and it got me thinking about my hair lol.

akilina
February 20th, 2013, 02:48 PM
I dont mean to sound negative but I have tried peppermint, rosemary, lavender, and many others with no success whatsoever.

McFearless
February 22nd, 2013, 03:04 AM
I've had success with essential oils diluted in jojoba oil, which is said to absorb into skin at a rate faster and deeper than oils we might use more commonly on the hair itself. I've found that to be true when comparing it to coconut and olive oil. Emu oil apparently has those qualities to an even higher degree but I'm limited in my access to it. I modeled my blend after the advice given in this (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23598) thread. Follow-up thread here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001).

DJgang
February 22nd, 2013, 07:04 AM
thank you McFearless.....

I don't really know of anything I use encourages growth, but I do use EO.

I CO wash, I put half bottle of conditioner, a little of water, and about five drops of tea tree. This, I think, is helping my scalp and breakouts along temple area hairline. My doc says it's from my wheat allergy and I'm trying to get the breakouts to stop.

About every two weeks, I do a good coconut oil and lavender oil conditioning to the ends.

What have you read about oregano? I have some and rarely use it. Thanks.

Othala
February 23rd, 2013, 01:03 AM
I have tried a variety of essential oils at various stages over many months/years and none of them has increase the rate of hair growth for me. What worked was Neelibhringadi oil. Whilst that stuff is like magic (for me), it is so awfully stinky that it addles the brain, LOL. Oh well, nothing comes without a price.

Naiadryade
February 23rd, 2013, 09:49 AM
The oil I put on my head most nights is about 65% castor oil, about 25% sweet almond oil, about 10% jojoba oil, and 2% essential oils: more or less equal parts of lavender, geranium, clary sage, Texas cedarwood, wild thyme, and lemon. These EOs supposedly encourage faster/thicker growth, as do the almond oil and especially the castor oil.

I've only been using this for about 2 months though, so it's hard to say yet if it's working. And I have had a bunch of split ends in the past which kept breaking off making for slow "growth," which I recently trimmed off and am working on preventing in the future... so it will really be hard to say how much faster growth is because of the oil, and how much is just that it's not breaking off at the tips anymore. And even if I could tell that, it will be impossible to say if any faster growth is from the essential oils, the castor oil, or the combination.

Sorry I can't be of more help... but there's a list of EO's for you! :shrug:

ETA: be careful with the oregano oil. That stuff is STRONG and can be very irritating to the skin. Definitely dilute it well!

emilia83
February 24th, 2013, 11:26 PM
I have tried a variety of essential oils at various stages over many months/years and none of them has increase the rate of hair growth for me. What worked was Neelibhringadi oil. Whilst that stuff is like magic (for me), it is so awfully stinky that it addles the brain, LOL. Oh well, nothing comes without a price.

I just googled this and WOW! I really want to try it! My boyfriend is really sensitive to smells, though, do you think it's bad enough that he will complain? I'll probably try it anyway and just hide out in the bathroom and read or something, but I just wondered what I would be getting into. :)

I just do jojoba or moroccan oil for moisture, I've never tried any oils to try to promote growth. Biotin made my face break out something horrible, though.

Sharysa
February 26th, 2013, 03:05 PM
I use sweetgrass oil combined with almond oil on my scalp. The almond oil keeps my hair moisturized and hence from breaking too much, and the sweetgrass helps with growth AND smells wonderful.

Othala
February 27th, 2013, 11:28 AM
I just googled this and WOW! I really want to try it! My boyfriend is really sensitive to smells, though, do you think it's bad enough that he will complain?

Probably, yes. My DH is used to it but it makes me gag. I only use it in the summer as it is very cooling and if you have a cold or any kind of sinus problem it exacerbates it.

McFearless
February 28th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Hello Othala, which brand in particular do you purchase and have you noticed the oil encouraging new hairs or just the increased growth of existing hairs? Thanks

TheMechaGinger
February 28th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Well I like peppermint and rosemary oils added to my coconut oil, not for growth in particular though. They make my scalp all tingly when I do oil massages and I just like the feeling :] I do have a ton of baby hairs all over but I think that has to do with the massaging more so than the oils. considering I've been using those oils for about a month (but doing massages for several months )and most of the hairs are a couple inches long

emilia83
March 1st, 2013, 10:45 AM
Probably, yes. My DH is used to it but it makes me gag. I only use it in the summer as it is very cooling and if you have a cold or any kind of sinus problem it exacerbates it.

From what I've read so far it sounds worth it, so I'm going to order some! I'll remember that about the colds, it's good to know. Thank you! :)

Othala
March 3rd, 2013, 04:28 AM
Hello Othala, which brand in particular do you purchase and have you noticed the oil encouraging new hairs or just the increased growth of existing hairs? Thanks

Hi McFearless, I use the Kama Ayurveda brand. it does not have any antimony and is based on sesame oil rather than the usual coconut oil. I did not notice any new growth, just the accelerated growth of existing hair and a dramatic reduction in shedding.

Othala
March 3rd, 2013, 04:33 AM
From what I've read so far it sounds worth it, so I'm going to order some! I'll remember that about the colds, it's good to know. Thank you! :)

You're most welcome.

The other thing I should point out is that the first time you use it, you are likely to have a big shed. This happens to me and others on LHC have reported the same. After that big shed, in my experience, the amount of hair shed will reduce quite significantly and will stay at this low level for about 2 months. In month 3 the shed rate will still be low but gradually increase. By the end of month 4 or sometimes month 5, your shed rate will return to normal and that is the time to discontinue using Neelibhringadi oil for another 3 to 6 months.

Simple
March 4th, 2013, 05:42 AM
A year ago, my hair was fine/thin and I wasn't really taking a good care of it. Last year, it was the first time for me to try CV shampoo bars, and I didn't know I'd fall in love with my hair again. I used 3 bars: Ayurvedic herb, Herb Garden, Chamomile and Citrus, and I could tell that my hair growth rate has increased tremendously, especially after using Ayurvedic herb. I have been washing my hair with the poo bars for 8 months, and trimming about 1/2 inch every month, now shedding is normal, thickness of hair has doubled, taper is gone, ends are healthy, and the overall condition of my hair is just great. Although I needn't it, I recently started scalp massage with only 1 drop jojoba oil combined with rosemary, lavender, and basil essential oils just to stimulate the scalp. I'll be adding cedarwood, thyme and clary sage essential oils to the mixture later for the added benefits.

McFearless
March 7th, 2013, 06:00 AM
Hi McFearless, I use the Kama Ayurveda brand. it does not have any antimony and is based on sesame oil rather than the usual coconut oil. I did not notice any new growth, just the accelerated growth of existing hair and a dramatic reduction in shedding.

Thanks a bunch :)

Nightshade
March 7th, 2013, 07:49 AM
An important thing to keep in mind about any sort of topical essential oil is what it can and can't help with. Essential oils on the scalp can help with:

Dry and flaky scalp
Scalp irritation
Low circulation to the scalp
mild fungus and bacteria issues

Essentially what EOs do is make the scalp a healthier environment to promote growth. There's also a LOT of other things that impact hair growth such as diet, hormones, disease, and autoimmune problems.

All the essential oils in the world won't make someone's hair grow faster if their diet is lacking in silica, for example :)

There's no magic bullet for hair growth, just a lot of things that help a little bit.

neko_kawaii
March 7th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Nightshade, that is the most succinct explanation I've read. Thanks!

Nightshade
March 7th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Nightshade, that is the most succinct explanation I've read. Thanks!

You're so welcome :flowers:

woolyleprechaun
March 7th, 2013, 09:12 AM
I've had no joy with EOs alone, sadly. However, I do add a few drops to my redbush tea spritz to add fragrance and additional benefits (hopefuly!) even though the tea does an excellent job on its own. I like rosemary, sandalwood or patchouli the most.

GrowingGlory
March 7th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Does meleleuca EO prevent/kill lice and nits?