PDA

View Full Version : raw egg yolk?

pdy2kn6
August 25th, 2008, 06:06 PM
i have heard that raw egg yolk massaged into hair helps hairgrowth because the protein of da egg gets in to your hair follicles or summit? has anyone tried this? i was curious, i was considering testing it myself?

Aisha25
August 25th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I doubt it'll be for growth maybe protien. I use egg yolks in my hair length but I never noticed any growth when using them. I mainly use egg whites on my scalp with oils and it does my hair lots of good that way.

wintersun99
August 25th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Doesn't it have something to do with protein and sulfur? Not sure if it makes your hair grow faster but I do remember that sulfur once a week was part of the original MN treatment that Aine posted about, (now an archived thread)

Kirin
August 25th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Protein on the outside doesnt make hair grow (eat them for that!) but the sulfur in eggs promotes hair growth (so does garlic)

hetschepetsch
August 26th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I am not shure about the growth factor, but its an emulgator so it should clean hair- I tried it a few times if you do not rinse your hair too hot the effect is great...

HappyHaley
August 26th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Don't know about helping your hair, but it helps my acne on my face! I can imagine one's scalp would be very healthy with regular applications of egg yolk.

~Haley

mira-chan
August 27th, 2008, 08:40 AM
In addition to being a protein and sulfur treatment, they make a good shampoo for dryer hair, keep the egg whites in too for oilier hair.

Sulfur prevents fungal growth that may slow down hair growth.

hair jim
October 18th, 2008, 07:34 PM
hi, i'm a believer in egg yolk for hair growth, applied to hair.
but some types of hair don't like it.
good luck

gallows_gallery
October 19th, 2008, 01:24 PM
My friend Erin has abused the hell out of her bob-length hair (bleached it to white over and over in order to dye it reinbow colours) and it was STILL absolutely amazing quality - she swore by whisked eggwhites and vinegar rinses...not both at once!

jera
October 19th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Protein on the outside doesnt make hair grow (eat them for that!) but the sulfur in eggs promotes hair growth (so does garlic)

I must agree with Kirin. Putting raw yolk on the scalp to promote hair growth is questionable, but eating eggs will make your hair grow. At least it does for me but of course everybody is different. :p You could give it a try if there are no medical reasons for you not to.

Garlic juice applied to the scalp has properties that will both cleanse and stimulate new growth. Please don't ask me if this works though because I've never tried it. Garlic is too stinky to wear in my hair and the odorless garlic shampoos everybody advertises are loaded with SLS. :( Again, I think I'd EAT garlic before I'd wear it. :eyebrows:

DarkChocolate
October 21st, 2008, 11:29 AM

Great information Kirin:) I love garlic:) When I make homemade oven fries which is once or twice a week nowadays I make it a point to roast a few cloves of garlic:) I love garlic and it is nice to know that it promotes hair growth:)

DarkChocolate
October 21st, 2008, 11:33 AM
Actually I have been using raw egg yolk on my hair as a protein treatment. I haven't been using it specifically for hair growth. I have been using it once a week for about two months and have noticed that my hair is softer, falls less and is less crunchy. I started doing egg yolk treatments because I read an article about how healthy hair is a balance of protein and moisture. I figured that I would use egg yolks for protein and oil on damp hair or conditioner for moisture:)

Islandgrrl
October 21st, 2008, 11:34 AM
I should point out that if you're going to use eggs in your hair, make sure to NOT use hot water to rinse them out. It would be a big, messy mistake.

Chanterelle
October 21st, 2008, 11:47 AM
i have heard that raw egg yolk massaged into hair helps hairgrowth because the protein of da egg gets in to your hair follicles or summit? has anyone tried this? i was curious, i was considering testing it myself?
I guess you should give a try :)
I don't think it will harm your hair anyway. And if you do it you won't need to shampoo your hair after that. But be sure to separate yolks from egg whites.

As to yolks helping hairgrowth, well, I'm not sure. I've written it somewhere here I'm doing a weird hair mask (made of a yolk, mustard powder and warm tea) and it does work for me but I can never be sure if it's thank to yolks or mustard powder or their combination.

jera
October 21st, 2008, 06:21 PM
I should point out that if you're going to use eggs in your hair, make sure to NOT use hot water to rinse them out. It would be a big, messy mistake.

Very true ! I did that once or twice and ended up combing globs of egg out of my hair. :o

Kirin
October 21st, 2008, 08:26 PM
just an FYI, you can buy odorless garlic capsules at most vitamin places and puncture them, adding it to condioners and shampoos of your choice. Most garlic shampoos are full of sulphates.

jera
October 22nd, 2008, 05:34 PM
just an FYI, you can buy odorless garlic capsules at most vitamin places and puncture them, adding it to condioners and shampoos of your choice. Most garlic shampoos are full of sulphates.

Great idea. Garlic is one of the best blood purifiers available. It wouldn't hurt to take it orally as well as adding it to hair care recipes. It will ease the liver's work of detoxifiction and amke you healthier. ;)

Áine
October 22nd, 2008, 05:43 PM
I believe someone mentioned it earlier, but I mainly used egg yolks for the sulfur. I tried to use it with egg whites, but that didn't work as well for me, so I only use the yolk part. I use egg yolks for my roots. I mix it with a tad bit of honey for added moisture and and a pudding-like consistency. It washes right out very easily with a bit of cool water.

In the past, I would get occasional dandruff during colder weather, but since using the yolks regularly, I haven't experienced any flakes last year or this year. It's the cheapest, gentlest dandruff treatment I've found to date!

Cailie
January 26th, 2011, 10:56 PM
On a French long hair forum, lots of girls use egg yolks instead of shampoo, they make it lather somehow and they seem to really love it (but beware : must be rinsed with cold water only !!). They say it actually washes the hair very well (and no one ever talks about problems with protein overload).

as anyone else used egg yolks as shampoo, on a regular basis ?

Zoui
February 8th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I've washed my hair for three weeks now alternating with water only and egg yolk washes. My hair feels great after the egg yolk. And yes, rinse with cold water. I wouldn't put the white in my hair but instead I use it as a facial mask.
Washing hair with egg yolk is an ancient beauty trick. I also rinse with very mild ACV water.
According to what I've read, the idea of the egg protein penetrating the hair follicle is just a myth. However, it cleanses well and unlike most shampoos, it doesn't damage the scalp.

Lianna
February 9th, 2011, 06:52 PM
They say it actually washes the hair very well (and no one ever talks about problems with protein overload).

I get protein overload from just about anything but eggs. :D

Cailie
February 9th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I've washed my hair for three weeks now alternating with water only and egg yolk washes. My hair feels great after the egg yolk. And yes, rinse with cold water. I wouldn't put the white in my hair but instead I use it as a facial mask.
Washing hair with egg yolk is an ancient beauty trick. I also rinse with very mild ACV water.
According to what I've read, the idea of the egg protein penetrating the hair follicle is just a myth. However, it cleanses well and unlike most shampoos, it doesn't damage the scalp.

I like that !

Hana
February 10th, 2011, 08:22 AM
I found a nice link for Egg shampoo + lemon!
Thought I'd share.

http://www.beautytipshub.com/natural-beauty-treatments/hair-care-tips/lemon-egg-shampoo.html

bumblebums
February 10th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Here you go--an older thread that discusses egg washes at length.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=40386

GoldenTresses
February 22nd, 2011, 09:44 PM
<<I've washed my hair for three weeks now alternating with water only and egg yolk washes>>

What is IN an egg yolk wash?
Just crack them into a bowl and mix with a fork?

Would you please elaborate?

Thanks so much!

Mírien
February 25th, 2011, 01:05 PM
There are many ways to use egg yolks on hair. :o You can apply the yolk in itself or you can mix it with some other ingredients. My own recipe goes as follows: 2 egg yolks, a tablespoon of ACV, 2 tablespoons of water, 5 drops of rosemary EO. I apply this mixture to my scalp, massage it in. It is important to leave it on your head for at least five minutes so that the egg can do away with the oil and clean your scalp then rinse with lukewarm water (hot water may boil the egg... :rolleyes:). I usually finish with an ACV rinse but it is not necessary.

One more thing: I apply the "shampoo" to DRY hair, massage it in, then rinse, rinse, rinse. ;) Good luck.

maborosi
February 25th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I've seen some people say they mix it with lemon/honey, but doesn't lemon have a lightening effect on hair? (I know from experience it lightens the skin) I have really dark hair that I love and I don't want the color lightened.

Can't you just mix yolks and honey?

~maborosi~

Panth
February 26th, 2011, 05:39 AM
I've read somewhere on here that the protein of the egg cannot actually get into the hair as it is too large. Instead, you can use low salt soy sauce which apparently contains protein that is small enough to penetrate the hair.

Whether that is true or not I don't know, though it would explain why people on this thread say they get protein overload from everything except eggs...

If you do a search for "egg" or for "soy sauce" on LHC (or, as I more often do, do an advanced site-specific search on Google which seems to break less often and is less fussy than LHC's own search option) you should get the threads I've read.

Anyways, eggs are still liked by a lot of people for their cleansing properties - even if they are not a good protein treatment, they are still a good alternative to shampoo for many.