PDA

View Full Version : Cinnamon for hair?

sweetoak
November 25th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Hey all, this is my first post here, but I've been stalking this forum for quite some time... I put a pot of water with cinnamon sticks in it on low to simmer, which has made my house smell AMAZING. So I was wondering; if once I take it off, strain out the odd floaty bits, and put the resulting infused water on my short curly hair... What would the outcome be???

Shatam1
November 25th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Interesting question... I hope someone answers soon as I also would love to know... Some people put some cinnamon in their henna treatment to cover up the smell of henna, I never tried it though as I use Rosemary and lavender EOs in my henna.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 25th, 2012, 09:29 PM
I don't know the answer to this one, I guess you could always try it out and see.

Shorty89
November 25th, 2012, 10:33 PM
I know that is can brighten or lighten hair a bit. But it can also cause irritation on the scalp so I would dilute it a lot or just be careful. I have used it in the past in SMTs, but I found that if I used too much it would give me a rash.

capnjackfan
November 25th, 2012, 10:49 PM
I'm not sure what it would do, but it's alright to try, and if it does irritate your scalp rinse it out IMMEDIATELY! Have fun experimenting, who knows, it be just what your hair needs.

Alex Lou
November 26th, 2012, 02:10 AM
Although cinnamon has some chemical reactions that have an effect on hair, I think that these only work for a limited time after exposure to water? It releases peroxide and burns your skin, then it stops. So I think that boiling it for a while will mean that the chemical reactions will happen while boiling and be done by the time you put it on your hair. And your result will be nice smelling hair, and that is all. I've been using cinnamon on my hair quite a bit and it only burns my skin for 10 minutes or so.

longhairedleah
November 26th, 2012, 06:31 AM
I find cinnamon adds shine to my hair. Even from the first time I added it to my mayonnaise treatments (mostly for smell) I saw a huuuuge difference! Mayonnaise + Honey + Cinnamon is my best hair treatment ever! Very shiny! :)

I also like it with honey on my face as a mask occasionally....

theodora
November 26th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Cinnamon burns my scalp but I still like to use it occasionally, just making sure it doesn't touch my scalp. I just did a treatment this afternoon with cone-free condish, honey and cinnamon and I managed not to burn my scalp yay!

sweetoak
November 26th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Tomorrow I'll have to try it and then post my results!! I do so love putting strange things in my hair. What I'd really like to see happen, is once my hair is long, maybe BSL (? I think that's the correct term), do a dip dye ombre lightening effect with the cinnamon. I think that'd be really cool.

bahoban
November 27th, 2012, 09:18 PM
well, here in Mexico we use Cinnamon in powder with conditioner to make a paste and leave on hair (about 8 hours) to lighten the hair :D