View Full Version : Hello everyone!!

Iona
March 8th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Yet another longtime lurker, first time poster here!

I've always had long hair, it was normal in our house. My mother started growing her hair out in rebellion of her parents who had kept hers short when she was younger. She's kept her hair long her entire adult life (maintaining at tailbone), and my older sister and I had long hair all through our child and teen years. My sister has since cut her hair (but she is growing out again, yay!) and I've never had a full hair cut, just small trims here and there.

I've been lurking on the boards for about a year now, and my hair has improved so much in that time. I went from a shampoo only routine, with silicone-laced oillings afterward. (it was a last resort to deal with frustrating tangly hair, before that I had been a shampoo/conditioner girl, with too much of both probably) to primarily a conditioner only/cone free. My hair is smoother, happier, and best of all longer!!

I had been pretty sure I was terminal at hip/near classic, but I'm now about an inch and a half shy of fingertip. From BSL down I have quite a bit of damage, and a sharp taper which was caused by over brushing and ripping through tangles. I don't worry much about that as I'm going for fairytale ends anyway. What I'm hoping to do is continue to baby my hair and if my hair that's in good condition reaches classic, I may chop there, but I haven't decided yet. Until that time comes I'm doing small trims every few months and S&D whenever I have time with brand new sharp scissors.

Oh, and I'm hairtoy addict, primarily hair sticks and barrettes, I've had to talk myself out of a Ficcare more times than I can count (I think the only reason I have had the strength is I've never met one face to face. I'm sure that when I do, three will mysteriously come home with me)

This is such a fantastic place, I'm so very glad I found it. Thank you all, for the information and inspiration to keep going!!

WavyGirl
March 8th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Hi Iona, and welcome. Sounds like you've learnt a lot from the great people here already although if you were at hip/classic before finding LHC you must have been doing something right. I'm glad you took the plunge and joined. I'm sure you will be too when you get access to the member only features.

Liluri
March 8th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Welcome to TLHC as a member, I'm sure you will continue to get heaps out of it.

Shermie Girl
March 8th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Welcome to LHC. Your hair looks lovely in your avatar. Just in case you would like a little more enabling, if you have a Nordstrom nearby, they carry Ficcare and are happy to let you come in and play with them before they follow you home. :D

Broken Angel
March 8th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Welcome to the LHC. I am more of a lurker too, but I had to reply to your post because of what you said about your mother being made to have short hair as a child. That was me as well, and I am still rebelling against it. :o Although I think I have reached the longest I can handle my hair. So I'm good right where I am. Enjoy your long locks!

CurlyNinja
March 8th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Welcome! Isn't it great to come out of the lurker-closet? ;)

angelthadiva
March 8th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Welcome to LHC, it sounds like you are well on your way all on your own...Good for you! Happy hair days ahead well-wishes from me to you! :flower:

Gumball
March 9th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Glad you've become a member here! Sounds like you're pretty on top of things in terms of your own hair. Hehe. Also being a hair toy addict is great because it gives you so much more to do.

lionshoney
March 9th, 2008, 05:16 PM
:) Hi there!

Iona
March 14th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Thank you all for the wonderful warm welcome!!
I'm sorry it took me so long to reply! I caught a cold that had been passed around everyone else in my family before it hit me. so I spent quite a few days on nyquil-fueled autopilot..lol

WavyGirl, thank you for the welcome, I have learned so much from everyone here. I think the length of hair, I had was primarily hair type related, that and the lack of heat styling, I never was a big fan of blow dryers and the like. I love the picture in your signature, your curls are so pretty!

Liluri, Thank you!! I've always loved the feathered hair toy in your avatar, is that a hair stick or is it attached to a band?

Shermie Girl, Thank you!!, the picture in my avatar was one of the few times I've ever been really happy with the curl in my hair, I'm very much a wavy type, and I'm usually trying to nudge it either straight or curly..lol and Thank you for the tip about Nordstrom, I'll have to duck in there the next time I'm close!! Oh and I love your signature (Veni, Vidi, Velcro.) It always makes me smile whenever I see it!

Broken Angel, *lurker nod and wave* thank you for the welcome!! I always found it sort of funny that she grew out her hair, and then raised two longhairs..lol Congrats on embracing your length!! I'm glad you grew it out to where you want it and I hope you keep it that length for as long as you can/wish.

CurlyNinja, Yes it is!! A little bit scary, but it is nice!

angelthadiva, Thank you! Your signature has been a source of inspiration, your hair is so smooth and sleek looking. Happy hair days to you as well!

Gumball, Thank you for the welcome! hehe, yes it's been fun this past year learning and babying my hair and figuring out what is working and what isn't..lol and you're right I've learned so much about the versatility of long hair. I spent years wearing it in exactly three styles, down, a braid, or a braided bun..usually held up with pencils..lol. the articles section has been so great, I learned how to rope braid a month ago, which is something I've wanted to know how to do since I was very young, going through a klutz hairstyle book, I haven't quite figured out the french braid yet, that is a bit like my hair everest..lol. its there and I'll get there..but I'm sort of stuck at base camp. yours is absolutely lovely in your signature.

Lionshoney, Hello!! I understand you're new too. I looked at your thread and planned to say hello after this, your hair is so shiny and I love the color!! :)

Liluri
March 16th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Liluri, Thank you!! I've always loved the feathered hair toy in your avatar, is that a hair stick or is it attached to a band?

Thank you, I made that hair toy and it is feathers on a comb. :)

Xandergrammy
March 16th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Hi Iona and welcome! Your hair is lovely. I look forward to see more pictures (and maybe some of your mom and sister too??)

zift
March 17th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Hey Iona welcome! Nice you decided to step out of shadows:thumbsup:.Your hair looks and sounds lovely.
When I joined LHC my hair was severely damaged from blowdrying and brushing and wrong handle and wearing it in a ponytail everyday. And I learnt how to do braids here and they became my casual style. and I even wear buns now,almost everyday. You'll see that as you start taking care of your hair ,it really starts to show off.
If I missed do you have any length goals? We'll be pleased if you join the classic to knee length group one day.
Happy to have you here with us.
Welcome to LHC:flowers:

Iona
March 22nd, 2008, 10:42 PM
XanderGranny, thank you!!, I'll be sure to put up some more photos (I've actually been trying to think of family hair portrait ideas) My camera is unfortunately out of commission for a little bit. As soon as I get it back though I'll be sure to take some. I've been trying to convince my sister to visit here (and to do an SMT, though I think it'll be easier to convince her to come here than that, my CO seems a bit radical to her, I think adding things to the conditioner would be too much..lol)

Zift, Thank you!!! I know exactly what you mean about hair improving once you start taking care of it. It is amazing the difference that can happen simply from putting it up. As far as length goals, that changes quite often for me, I think mostly I'm going for terminal, whatever that is. I think I'm hoping for it to be knee, or calf but thats really up to the follicles..lol I'd love to join the classic to knee group, Thank you for pointing it out to me I'll join as soon as I find it.

Thank you again everyone for the wonderful warm welcomes!!

Samara Morgan
March 24th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Hello Iona! :waving: Welcome to (being a member in) LHC :D Your hair looks lovely in your avatar and profile pic, and I agree with Xandergrammy, seeing more pics of you and your family's hair would be great :grin: I've always wanted to know what it would be like living in a long-haired family :agree: