PDA

View Full Version : 4-strand braid instructions? (or 5-strand?)

dancingbarefoot
March 16th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I tried searching both the archives and Google, but I can't find the instructions for 4-strand braids that I used to use. Anyone have a copy, by any chance? :pray:

I liked these particular instructions because they really helped me with doing multiple-strand braids on my own head without bizarre descriptions of hand movements ("now, with the hand that facing east, turn 73 degrees under until your wrist is even with your shoulder, then flip hair over, crow at the moon, and toss salt over your other shoulder" :lol:)

Help, please!

eadwine
March 16th, 2008, 03:34 PM
There is something about that in this very forum I believe, posted not too long ago. A German site. It is something titled fig 8 bun, and then something else. Can't be far down.

Got it: link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=975)

dancingbarefoot
March 16th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks, eadwine. Not the one I was thinking of, but if it's lost forever, the videos should come in handy. :bigflower:

Rosemary
March 16th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I had this saved in my favorites.......http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braid_examples/braid_examples_basic.htm

Hope that helps!:)

florenonite
March 16th, 2008, 04:08 PM
("now, with the hand that facing east, turn 73 degrees under until your wrist is even with your shoulder, then flip hair over, crow at the moon, and toss salt over your other shoulder" :lol:)

Hee this makes me laugh xDDD

dancingbarefoot
March 16th, 2008, 08:54 PM
No one? Damn! I was hoping someone would have it saved somewhere.

I've seen other instructions at various sites, but these were the only ones that actually worked for me. Guess I can wait until the archives are restored. Impatiently. :wink:

freznow
March 16th, 2008, 09:00 PM
http://www.virtue.to/articles/braiding.html This was the first braiding site I ever found. nowadays I more use dreamweaver, but it's got some nifty stuff.

AprilElf
March 16th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I don't have a link, only some brief instructions I wrote in my notebook as a reminder to myself. I can't remember where they came from. :o These are the ones that work for me.

Your four strands are left / middle-left / middle-right / right (Obviously, these positions change after each step of the braid.)

Pattern is:
*right over middle-right
*left under middle-left
*middle-left over middle-right
Repeat ad infinitum ... :knit:

And notes I have for 5-strand:
*weave left under, over
*weave right under, over
etc.

daeana
March 16th, 2008, 10:43 PM
I liked these particular instructions because they really helped me with doing multiple-strand braids on my own head without bizarre descriptions of hand movements ("now, with the hand that facing east, turn 73 degrees under until your wrist is even with your shoulder, then flip hair over, crow at the moon, and toss salt over your other shoulder" :lol:)
no wonder you're messing up. you're supposed to do all this upside down. duh. :p

i remember learning, a long time ago, is that braiding is basically over/under/etc. (or vice versa) weaving, always from the same side.

Flaxen
March 16th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Check the Articles section. ;)

Diamondbell
March 17th, 2008, 01:16 AM
DBF - I found this (taken from the old LHC articles section or the Updos thread, I think)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Four-strand braid
· Divide the hair in 4 equal strands.
· Take 2 strands in the slots between your fingers in each hand. Use the slots between your thumb and index finger and the index finger and middle finger. Have the backs of your hands facing up and your pinkies next to each other, the strands clamped between your fingers securely.
· Twist your right hand clockwise and transfer the outer strand between your thumb and index finger to your left hand in the next free slot between your middle finger and ring finger. You now have 3 strands in your left hand and 1 in your right hand. The outer strand in your right hand has now become the inner strand on your left hand. Bring your right hand back to the starting position.
· Twist your left hand counter clockwise and transfer the outer strand to the next free slot between your middle finger and ring finger. That strand has now become the inner strand in your right hand. You now have again 2 strands in both hands. Bring your left hand back to the starting position.
· Change slots without changing the order of the strands. You can do this by lifting your fingers up and bringing them back in where you want them make sure you have the strands back in the first 2 slots of your hands, the places you started.
· Repeat the last 3 steps until you finish the braid.

think I've got the four strand figured out. Do you have some thick yarn to practice on? Knot four strands together at one end, and practice this sequence:

As you are looking at the hank, the four strands are:
far left, middle left, middle right, far right

Far right over middle right.
Far left under middle left.
Middle left over middle right.
Repeat.

Don't worry about who *used* to be what position. After each cross, just use those four names.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ETA:Okay, now I've got the five strand.

Same practice hank, but with five pieces, and their names are:
far left, middle left, center, middle right, far right

The sequence is:
Far left under middle left and over center
Far right under middle right and over center
Repeat.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOUR STRAND BRAID
I have only done on a mannequin and someone else's hair, so I don't know how hard it is to do on one's own hair. You might try it with four different colored strands of cord or rope to get the hang of it before putting it into practice on your hair.

I think it would be easier to do this braid on a pony-tail, but again, not sure how easy to on your own hair. You could always have Mr. SO learn how to do this or teach a kid, age 5 or up and let them have the fun of braiding your hair.

Begin by dividing your pony-tail hair into four equal sections.

We will go by section numbers 1,2,3, & 4 with #1 being the left section.

Open your hand, palm up. Five fingers, four spaces between fingers and thumb. The spaces are where the four strands will be placed. This is called the "open file system".

Start:
Section order, 1,2,3,4 (hold in left hand)
We are going to pick up # 2 strand and cross it all the way to the right,
New order is: 1,3,4,2 Now twist sections 1 & 3 toward the center
New order is: 3,1,4,2 One sequence complete

Hold all four sections in right hand with new order.

(Every sequence starts by picking up the second section closest the thumb of the hand you are holding all the strands and crossing over the other two strands to be the one closest to your little finger.)

Pick out #4 and cross it over all the way to the left
New order is: 4,3,1,2
Now twist sections 1 & 2 toward center
New order is: 4,3,2,1
Second sequence complete.

So, sequence is: pick out second section, cross over, twist other two sections toward the center, sequence complete, repeat in opposite direction.
I really think if you practice this with rope or cord first, it will come a lot easier when you are working behind your head trying to do this on your own.

When the braid gets long enough, you may be able to bring it in front of your shoulder to work toward the end and see what you are doing.

capelli lunghi
March 17th, 2008, 01:32 AM
When I do mine, like Deaena, I always make all my weaves start from the same side.. It is WAY easier.. I looked at instructions like above and was totally lost..

Here is what I do..

~Divide hair into however many sections..
~Take left (or right) most section and go over the next strand, under the next, over the next (cont. until you cross all strands)
~From the same side you started from, repeat above step. Always do the same order.. if you start with over.. always start with over.

That is all! It is a LOT simpler than trying to name the strands and remember where they go! lol HTH..

anna1850
March 17th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Flat braid:
1 over 2
4 under 3
3 over 2
Repeat

Round braid:
2 over 3
1 under 2 and 3 (so that it is now 3)
3 over 2
4 under 2 and 3 (so that it is now 2)
Repeat

dancingbarefoot
March 17th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Thank you, everyone! :cheese: :joy:

I guess this means I need to take pictures if I'm successful, eh? ;)

atlantaz3
March 17th, 2008, 09:35 AM
This is probably just me but I close my eyes when braiding. If I can see my hands or any portion of them I turn all thumbs. I'm sure I look quite silly sitting there with my eyes closed and sections of hair every where. My dh will actually help with hair and started braids for me in the correct direction for a LOTR look Saturday night!

Flaxen
March 17th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I guess this means I need to take pictures if I'm successful, eh? ;)

:agree:

Cinnamon Hair
March 17th, 2008, 02:56 PM
~Divide hair into however many sections..
~Take left (or right) most section and go over the next strand, under the next, over the next (cont. until you cross all strands)
~From the same side you started from, repeat above step. Always do the same order.. if you start with over.. always start with over.

That is all! It is a LOT simpler than trying to name the strands and remember where they go! lol HTH..

Your four strands are left / middle-left / middle-right / right (Obviously, these positions change after each step of the braid.)

Pattern is:
*right over middle-right
*left under middle-left
*middle-left over middle-right
Repeat ad infinitum ... :knit:

And notes I have for 5-strand:
*weave left under, over
*weave right under, over
etc.

April and Capelli, those were the most helpful braid instructions I have ever read! I saved them to my computer for future reference. :flowers:

(messing around with multi-quote feature)

zift
March 17th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Once veil posted an explanation of her 5-strand braid to me.Basically same as others but here:

Try working on freshly wet hair that has been combed. Divide hair into five strands. Place the outside left strand over your left shoulder. Place the outside right strand over your right shoulder, leaving three strands going down your back. Start braiding the three strands as a normal braid to start the braid off. Then carefully hand on to the three strands you were braiding, and take the left strand from over your shoulder, weave this under the first part of the braid, then over the second strand. Repeat on the other side. What you are trying to do, is to braid with only the outer two stands really, the rest of them just sit there.
The outside strand always goes under the first strand, and over the second. It really is more like weaving than braiding. The hardest thing is holding on to them all!