PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever dream of using their hairstick as a weapon?

eadwine
March 16th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I did!

Not too long ago. When I was reading another topic on hair stealing crime/theft it jumped back into mind.

I can't remember much of it anymore, but someone was continuously messing with my bun, not keeping hands off. I took the two sticks out and told the person to stop it or I would use those things. I meant it too.

Have you ever dreamed something like that?

Feisty Redhead
March 16th, 2008, 02:27 PM
No. But I was talking to my boyfriend the other day about using knitting needles as hair pins and sticks and his reply was that I need a dagger in my hair, so I can use it to protect myself when he's not around. I have to admit, a dagger would look pretty awesome... but I'm such a klutz I know I'd hurt myself. He was insistent if I got "just the right one" I wouldn't accidentally end up cutting off my hair with it.

eadwine
March 16th, 2008, 02:46 PM
There are those indeed! Some fairs carry them, and they are not sharp but blunt. There are also some mighty cool letter openers to be found on the web. When they are sharp they can be dulled easily :)

Unofficial_Rose
March 16th, 2008, 02:49 PM
There's a scene in the Jet Li movie "Kiss of the Dragon" where a, um, lady of easy virtue pulls out her hairstick and stabs her client mid-coitus (am I allowed to say that :oops:)

(It's a pretty violent film but the martial arts scenes are amazing. :knit:)

hrimfaxi
March 16th, 2008, 03:11 PM
One of my housemates just recently bought me some porcupine quills to use as hairsticks (I know some ladies here use them as hairsticks as well) and they are SHARP! Perhaps not to be used as a weapon, but certainly good defense against being hugged by people you don't want to hug you... :tongue:

I imagine that in general, hairsticks probably aren't good as a defense weapon for the same reasons knives aren't--could be wrested from your grip and so on. As an offensive weapon, though, they probably could be surprising... but how many of us are assassins? ;)

blue_nant
March 16th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Good to keep in mind for emergencies, though!

I showed a coworker mine, which had been holding up a wad of hair. And I'm sorry, I got it from someone we all know from here, but I can't remember just now. Anyway they are nickel-gauge steel with a narrow twist and a semi-precious stone on the end.

My coworker looked at it, looked at me and said This is a weapon! And I laughed and said Yep. ... The sticks are not sharp, but because they are steel, they are potentially lethal.

Heh.

florenonite
March 16th, 2008, 03:23 PM
I poke my friends with them (lightly) quite regularly. I'm provoked, though, really!

savi
March 16th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Um.. I've poked my little brother with the knitting needles I use as hair sticks. On purpose. :pins:

wintersun99
March 16th, 2008, 03:36 PM
wasn't there a scene in Kill Bill where Lucy Liu used her hair stick for a weapon?

Guenever
March 16th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I haven't actually poked anyone.. yet^^ But since I started wearing them I HAVE counted them in as possible weapons for self-defense.. (like my keys... and my gigantic books :wink:)

So yes, I would certainly consider using them if a situation occurred..

Gwaihiril
March 16th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I definitely remember a book where there was an assassin who used her knitting needles as lethal weapons. I definitely have thought about hairsticks as a weapon. In addition, my brother and dad told me that the Amish hair pins look deadly, and two of my friends kept telling me I needed to stick spikes in my braid so I could spin around and hit people. (I told them I would do it when they figured out a way to make the spikes not injure me.) I think it would be fabulous to have one of the dagger hairsticks.

redcelticcurls
March 16th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I've wondered about this ever since I saw it in an episode of Xena: Warrior Princess.

Laululintu
March 16th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I have a pointy ended iron hair stick I bought from the medieval fair last summer... I imagine it could be handy in a tight spot, provided I knew how to use it.

Then again, I have always wanted to be a secret agent/assasin ;)

truepeacenik
March 16th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I consider it. More late at night with some dude staring at me on the train....

AJoifulNoise
March 16th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Whenever I have two sticks in (usually for figure 8s) I always get the urge to grab the sticks, one in each hand, yank them out and yell something (like WHA-TA!!!) and go ninja on someone.

... But, instead, I sit quietly and people watch.

Anje
March 16th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I know on the old LHC, I once saw a link to a hairstick that actually had a sharp point, and a sheath around it. So you could yank the thing out for self-defense, and without having your hair fall in your face when you did so.

Let me see if I can find this...

redcelticcurls
March 16th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Whenever I have two sticks in (usually for figure 8s) I always get the urge to grab the sticks, one in each hand, yank them out and yell something (like WHA-TA!!!) and go ninja on someone.

LOL! I know it's not very PC, but so have I...

I do have a hairfork that has sharp enough points to be used as a weapon if properly applied.

GlassEyes
March 16th, 2008, 05:42 PM
If I ever use hairsticks I want one that has a hidden dagger inside. <3 Just one.

Let's see anyone try to cut my hair then dammit. D<

Gwaihiril
March 16th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Ok, so I remembered that Bronze Jewelers (http://www.bronzejewelers.com/hairpics.htm) had some blunt hair daggers, and then I went to Google and found that Nightblooming had (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=7970820) some (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=9480858), and there's a sharp dagger that fits into an oval barrette that you can see here (http://www.realmcollections.com/p6966/medieval-hair-dagger.html). Also, I found this fairytale about a prince and giant's daughter where the prince is running away from the giant and the giant's daughter gives him her hair dagger, which, when thrown upon the ground, creates a field of razors. I think I've heard a different version of this story, but this is the first time I heard a hair dagger mentioned! Nix Nought Nothing (http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/eng/eft/eft08.htm)

ChloeDharma
March 16th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I know on the old LHC, I once saw a link to a hairstick that actually had a sharp point, and a sheath around it. So you could yank the thing out for self-defense, and without having your hair fall in your face when you did so.

Wasn't it a thread started by ron quatro asking if members would be interested? Or did i imagine that bit?

I hardly ever wear hairsticks, but in terms of weapons and hair i prefer to keep my hair securely bunned and not easily grabbed and keep keys in my pocket instead. But mainly stick to the sensible stuff.....not going out at night alone if i can help it, sticking to busy places....that sort of thing.
Though the best defence i have found is taking my rottweiller with me ;)

k_hepburn
March 16th, 2008, 06:03 PM

Yes, Ron Quattro used to make these - he called them "vipers". However he stopped doing them a while ago - he probably came to realise that that kind of thing could get the wearer into trouble since it might be considered to be a "concealed weapon". There are some actual (mini-) sword shaped hairsticks available from other suppliers, I think, in fact, as far as I remember at least one of our members owns such a hairstick. But with these I've always wondered if they would not be very heavy, top-heavy in particular.

Greetings

katharine

carloota
March 16th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Yes. In fact, a few weeks ago when I was waiting at the drive through of a fast food restaurant, I was holding 2 in my hand, lest someone come up and try to take my money.

hrimfaxi
March 16th, 2008, 06:14 PM

Yep, other members have already stated that these were made by Quattro; I personally am a larger fan of my screwdriver-in-sheath hairstick, but that's because I'm a geek and feel lost without screwdrivers on my person. *cuddles it*

longhairedfairy
March 16th, 2008, 06:18 PM
There's a scene in the Jet Li movie "Kiss of the Dragon" where a, um, lady of easy virtue pulls out her hairstick and stabs her client

Actually, I believe ladies in China did use them as a defense weapon or for suicide as a last resort. There is a character that does so in the opera Turandot.

Alaia
March 16th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Yes I've definitely thought about it. Some of the customers where I work definitely deserve it :p

Apparently the Australian security guys at Melbourne airport thought about it too. (No, I'm never going to forget about that). :p

Nightshade
March 16th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Thought about it too :)

In one of the Kushiel's Legacy books the main character, Phedre, actually DOES kill someone with her hairstick, she drives it straight into his heart :twisted:

Anje
March 16th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks, folks. I didn't have any luck finding the thread, and the internet connection here has been flakey this weekend, which hasn't helped.

hrimfaxi, where'd you get a sheathed screwdriver hairstick? Do they come in phillips head??? (Sounds like a nice alternative to lugging my Leatherman with me sometimes.)

daeana
March 16th, 2008, 08:23 PM
oh, i've definitely had that thought. of course, i'm also convinced that my physiology book is a dangerous weapon because it weighs like 500 lbs...

Solitude
March 16th, 2008, 10:21 PM
I have a pointy ended iron hair stick I bought from the medieval fair last summer... I imagine it could be handy in a tight spot, provided I knew how to use it.

Yep, got one at a renfaire. Those points are SHARP! I'm always afraid of scraping my scalp off or impaling myself with them. They were sharpened so that they could penetrate jeans. Not sure where I put all those hair toys.

AprilElf
March 16th, 2008, 10:35 PM
When I first started wearing hairsticks (not so very long ago) that's one of the first things I thought of --the fact that I was wearing a 'weapon'! I thought it was quite cool.
Most of the ones I have at the moment are pretty sharp, too. ;)

freznow
March 16th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Yup I have definitely thought about it! Haven't dreamt of it, though. I'd like to get some sheathed 'daggers', but then there's the whole concealed weapon business and idk...

I, too, want to know about the screw driver stick!

Carina
March 16th, 2008, 10:47 PM
No I haven't.But I have never been in need of a weapon either:D.But who knows I might be one day:cheese:.But it would be a nightmare to break a hairstick:heartbeat:cry:.I have to order mine from the USA and money to hairsticks are not easy to find this time of year when five kids need new shoes.I just love ketylos.

MotherConfessor
March 16th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Oooohhh!! I have been dying for an excuse to talk about this. When I went to the ren fest last year and picked up my yearly hair stick my boyfriend looked at the 10 inch ebony fork I was getting and told me that my arsenal of hair weaponry was getting pretty large. The hair stick lady then started laughing and told us about a client she had at her last fair who told her she needed a new stick because she left hers in someone. :drama: Apparently she had been walking across campus late one night and some guy came up and grabbed her from behind. She was reaching back to try to strike his head and happened to brush against her hair stick. So she pulled it out and jammed it into his leg, then bolted. :agape: I guess I cant be positive the story was true but it certainly was cool. And clearly plenty of us have considered the use of hair stick weaponry (I know I have)

MotherConfessor
March 16th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I do love those smilies

Crinita
March 17th, 2008, 12:13 AM
This is the very reason I had a friend of mine blacksmith me some steel hairsticks. They are brutally sharp and 100&#37; lethal on purpose. My DSD12 has a pair that she wears at faire as well for the same reason. I have no qualms about leaving them in someone who desperately deserves it... multiple times :twisted: then again, I ain't very nice sometimes.

Pax,
Crinita

lemonlife
March 17th, 2008, 12:23 AM
I have quite a few mini dagger hairsticks (I even put 2 in the west coast swap box!). It's not like I'd ever go ninja on someone with them. But, if ever attack, you can bet I'd use one to save myself.

MadPirateBippy
March 17th, 2008, 12:26 AM
You can get titanium chopsticks intended to be used as weapons that work great in hair. Just sayin, if you really want to stab a person with your hairsticks, you can get stabbin hairsticks. A quick google search showed http://www.tistix.com/ as a place to check em out.

khyricat
March 17th, 2008, 05:12 AM
when I was studying martial arts my sensei used my hairsticks as an example and encouraged me to wear them to the dojo... he would use me as an example of both MY using the sticks as a self defense weapon AND of someone with me using them for the males in the class who had partners with long hair. I would use plain cheap chopsticks in the dojo though, in case one got broken during tumbling or something. Tai-jitsu is mostly self defense, and about disabling/disarming without injuring seriously your oponent, but it was still nice to know the stuff about the hairsticks and its been in my mind ever since.

Amie

harpgal
March 17th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Oh yes, I think about using a hair stick for a weapon all the time. It only takes being assaulted once, and you never forget. As a matter of fact, I am "armed and dangerous" almost everyday.

Lasiren
March 17th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Yeah, but it's kind of a silly fantasy for me XD
It looks good in movies and things, but I think anyone who really tried to use it in really life in a situation where they were being threatened would get credit for trying...but basically be hosed if it didn't work right the first time, or if their opponent had a better weapon :C Still, it's better than nothing!

jojo
March 17th, 2008, 06:56 PM
heck yes if i was being attacked, better still if was a dangly one, knock them on the head!!!

Urchin
March 17th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I have thought of it because I LARP, and a wooden hairstick would function as a stake for staking vampires! It would be brittle, but could work in a pinch.

I'll go stand in the geek corner now...

birdiefu
March 17th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I used to have a Quattro Viper, it was pretty neat and the inside pointy part came out easily without falling out on it's own. I did wear it walking around Venice after dark 'just in case'. I wish Ron still made them, as mine was a casualty in a fire and I would love to have a replacement.

hrimfaxi
March 18th, 2008, 01:21 AM
The screwdriver hairstick iss a Quattro Viper, sort of; in the thread on old-LHC about Quattro's Vipers, I noted that I didn't particularly want a spike, but I'd love a screwdriver-type Viper... so he made and sold a couple. He has since stopped making them, probably/perhaps due to lack of interest, but I don't know. I only ever saw flatheads; I'm not sure if he ever made any Phillips or what.
It's basically a Viper with a screwdriver instead of a spike--it's a bead attached to a flathead screwdriver with a sheath, so if your hair was being held up with the stick, you could remove the screwdriver and the sheath would continue performing its hairsticky function.

stepha
March 18th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Not to freak anyone out but I was so intrigued by the idea of such a purely "female" weapon that I search the net. Didn't find much.
Knitting needles? Cool idea, another "female" tool.
I'm not really into violence, just a feminist who likes to counter-act the "weaker sex" bunk in a female way. The idea of never-meant-for-men weapons makes me smile. I hate seeing movie chicks standing around screaming. I love the ones who deal with the villain themselves. My youngest son reads the Artemis Fowl books, they have a couple strong females. One put a jade ring at the end of her braid as a weapon. Effective (in the book) and cute. Perfect!

longhairedfairy
March 18th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Not to freak anyone out but I was so intrigued by the idea of such a purely "female" weapon that I search the net. Didn't find much.
Knitting needles? Cool idea, another "female" tool.
I'm not really into violence, just a feminist who likes to counter-act the "weaker sex" bunk in a female way. The idea of never-meant-for-men weapons makes me smile. I hate seeing movie chicks standing around screaming. I love the ones who deal with the villain themselves. My youngest son reads the Artemis Fowl books, they have a couple strong females. One put a jade ring at the end of her braid as a weapon. Effective (in the book) and cute. Perfect!

At the risk of sounding dumb, what kind of ring was it and how was it used? I'm curious.

lavenderblue
March 19th, 2008, 01:07 AM
No of course not!!!What if my pretties break! even in my dreams I'm aware of that ;););)

stepha
March 19th, 2008, 11:58 AM
The book just described it as a "jade ring". I'm imagining a heavy round green ring at the end of a long black braid.

florenonite
March 20th, 2008, 03:24 AM
Ooh, I love Artemis Fowl (yes, I'm an 18-year-old English student and I still read those books ^_^) and I always liked the bit about the jade ring on the end of her braid, but it's blonde, not black (I'm not a geek, really!)

levelek
March 20th, 2008, 04:47 AM

LOL!! :lol: This is the best thread. :luke:

My SO, who hates it when I wear hairsticks, calls them weapons anyway. "Weapons of mass destruction" when he is particularly disgusted. LOL

I am now lusting after one of those sheathed little hair daggers! Pity that as k.hepburn pointed out, they would probably be illegal to wear...

florenonite
March 20th, 2008, 10:51 AM
LOL!! :lol: This is the best thread. :luke:

My SO, who hates it when I wear hairsticks, calls them weapons anyway. "Weapons of mass destruction" when he is particularly disgusted. LOL

I am now lusting after one of those sheathed little hair daggers! Pity that as k.hepburn pointed out, they would probably be illegal to wear...

Depends on where you are, really. I mean, there's no law against carry around a knife (why else would you be able to buy them in supermarkets and carry them home?), although some institutions prohibit them.

LifeisAdventure
March 20th, 2008, 11:15 AM
stepha -- I am so happy to hear from someone else who openly calls herself a feminist! One of my Bachelor's degrees was in Women's Studies and you wouldn't believe the crap I hear on a regular basis, even once on a job interview!! Truth is, most people who vehemently deny the label hold the exact same beliefs as those who do, they're just unfairly biased or see some dark evil awful cloud of stigma that floats over our heads. Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack...

In other cool news, someone mentioned that there are titanium hair sticks available now intended to be used in self-defense. I wanted to add that there are also some out there available in kevlar, and the pattern really is quite pretty! Check out eBay. :) Sad thing is, the ones that are MADE for self-defense would never get by stricter security, including airports, and traveling is one of the occasions on which you could most benefit from having something like that. :neutral: Oh well, guess I'll stick to breaking people with my own hands. Thank you jujitsu! ;)

eadwine
March 20th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I wanted to add that there are also some out there available in kevlar, and the pattern really is quite pretty! Check out eBay. :)
You'll have to give me more than that, as I cannot find anything hair stick related on kevlar when searching.

heidi w.
March 20th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Yep. heidi w.

LifeisAdventure
March 20th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Hmmm... you called me on it, as they don't seem to be listed anymore. I'll keep an eye on eBay and try to post a link if they're relisted, or at least snag the picture.

eadwine
March 20th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Thanks LifeisAdventure :)

embee
March 20th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Hmmm.

See "Never Go Walking Out Without Your Hatpin" - a song from the 1920s :)

http://members.aol.com/frankie858/song.html

prosperina
March 20th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I've often thought, if attacked, Id stab someone with my Etta Mae hair fork. Those ends are sharp!

kissedbyfyre
March 20th, 2008, 05:41 PM
YES! Not only have random strangers referred to them as weapons, but I oddly feel safer when in not so great areas at night wearing them. Living in a city and some times getting out of a club that's in an iffy area, it's nice wearing a weapon (that isn't taken away from you at said clubs!).

Islandgrrl
March 20th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Oh well, guess I'll stick to breaking people with my own hands. Thank you jujitsu! ;)

I'm right there with you. 25 years of jujitsu (and other arts) have served me very well.

Still, it's never a bad idea to have a neatly concealed weapon at your convenience, is it? :agree:

Elleyena
March 20th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I've thought about it before. lol I've also thought about using my knitting needles as hair sticks to serve a triple purpose. 1) awesome hair sticks 2)when I'm bored, I can knit 3)if necessary self defense :eyebrows: those things hurt. I accidentally stabbed my leg with one

Nightshade
March 25th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Ok, so I remembered that Bronze Jewelers (http://www.bronzejewelers.com/hairpics.htm) had some blunt hair daggers, and then I went to Google and found that Nightblooming had (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=7970820) some (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=9480858), and there's a sharp dagger that fits into an oval barrette that you can see here (http://www.realmcollections.com/p6966/medieval-hair-dagger.html). Also, I found this fairytale about a prince and giant's daughter where the prince is running away from the giant and the giant's daughter gives him her hair dagger, which, when thrown upon the ground, creates a field of razors. I think I've heard a different version of this story, but this is the first time I heard a hair dagger mentioned! Nix Nought Nothing (http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/eng/eft/eft08.htm)

I feel obligated to point out that my hair swords are not weapon-ready, nor are the points deadly-sharp :) So while it looks like a sword, it won't do more than a normal hairstick as far as self-defense goes :flowers:

Sinnamon
March 25th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I never dreamt of doing it, but whenever needed, I'd do it without thinking of the quality of my sticks, LOL.

Liave Ekeli
February 6th, 2010, 08:46 PM
I realize this thread is old growing on semi-ancient, but I happened upon it while searching for something else, and felt the need to point out that in an episode of CSI: New York a woman actually murders someone with her hairsticks.
As a big fan of CSI and a longhair, I thought that was pretty cool, and seeing the episode now makes me want hairsticks like that... not to commit murder with, obviously, but just to be able to think about that reference when I'm wearing them. Haven't seen sticks looking like those used yet, though...

Nae
February 6th, 2010, 09:19 PM
:coolThanks for bumping this thread, I think women oftentimes need to be mindful of what items they have at their disposal that can be used for self defense. I found these two links, one is an author thinking about the viability of hairsticks as a murder weapon (or would it be weapons?) and the other is a picture demonstrating the use of a hairstick in a self defense class. (Picture included!)

At any rate, I hope no one ever has to resort to using a lovely hair toy to beat off an attacker but a girl has gotta do what a girl has gotta do if you get right down to it.:cool: Apparently these articles both talk about 'going for the eyes.' Which makes the optician in me cringe but.......it is what it is.

http://community.livejournal.com/little_details/1429981.html

http://www.svcn.com/archives/saratoganews/05.05.99/cover-9918.html

Nae
February 6th, 2010, 09:26 PM
This particular comment from the link above really suprised me. Can you imagine throwing your hairstick through a door!!:disbelief:shocked:

"Dunno about hair sticks, but I've seen those heavy blunt plastic chopsticks thrown right through a composite hotel room door. (Mine, in fact- the performance artist down the hall hadn't realized the room was occupied. She told me she could do the same trick with lighter wooden or lacquer chopsticks, but not as easily, because the weight helped in throwing accurately. They didn't splinter as badly as the plastic ones, though. Those practically exploded if the angle wasn't right.)"

This is making me think we are packing some serious weapons here. Yowsers!

RavennaNight
February 7th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Yes. I considered it when I ran into an ex at a show last week lol.

GuinevereMay
February 7th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I have an incredibly sturdy Beetnik505 hair stick that I wear when I need to go downtown during the weekend after dark....just in case.